Search

Paris-Amsterdam, to go or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris-Amsterdam, to go or not?

Hi,
I have heard many stories concerning the strikes in Paris with the transit. I am about to book a non-refudable plane ticket to Paris and I am planning on taking the Thalys to Amsterdam and back. Do you think we should forget the whole trip? I'm worried I will get stranded in Amsterdam and will miss the plane back! Also, getting around in Paris dosen't sound like much fun when there is no transit. Let me know what you think.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Skittles, you didn't mention when you are going, so you don't know if there will be a strike going at that time.

My suggestion is to not cancel. Worse-case scenario would be to find alternative transportation and you very likely could. Maybe you alter your daily itinerary to work around it, should that be the case.

Don't put it off because you never know when you'll have the opportunity again.

Go.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:48 AM

The strikes in France, though frequent, never last very long. By the time you get there they will probably be over. If not, at least you're in Paris. Go!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM

The Thalys strike is set for June 29 and 30th. If you work around that, you should be fine. Also, you can buy your tickets after you arrive in Paris, so if your plans have to be changed you can do so in time.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We are going to be in Paris for 4 days from August 28th to September 2st. On the 2nd we're taking (or planning to) take the Thalys to Amsterdam and then return on the 6th of Sepetmeber to fly out or Orly. Out hotel is walking distance from everything (Grand Hotel leveque) so I think we should be OK with a good pair of walking shoes! Thanks for the tips!