Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris airport transportion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-airport-transportion-105613/)

Paul Feb 12th, 2001 11:50 AM

Paris airport transportion

Need advice on the easiest and, hopefully, reasonable priced transportation from CDG airport to Paris for a first time visitor to France. Thank you.

elaine Feb 12th, 2001 01:12 PM

Hi <BR>"easiest" is not necessarily the cheapest, unless you are traveling with only a carry-on bag or a backpack. Your choice will depend on your luggage, your destination in Paris, and your budget. <BR>At the airport, thre are Information and help desks in each terminal. <BR>TO GET TO PARIS: <BR>Air France Bus: Departs every 10 to 15 minutes, from 5:50 am to 11pm <BR>Price last time I checked: 60FF. Tel info: (1) 42 99 20 18. Stops at: Porte Maillot and Etoile-Charles de Gaulle (Arc de Triomphe). Average journey time : 40 minutes <BR>Ratp Bus (Paris city bus): www.ratp.fr. <BR>Line 351 runs every 30 minutes between Roissy-CDG Airport (terminals 1 and 2) and Place de la Nation, located in Eastern Paris Line 350 runs every 20 minutes to Gare de l'Est. <BR>Price: 6 metro tickets. Takes about 45 minutes These 2 bus lines run every day of the week, but I believe not at night. <BR>Roissybus: Tel: 0148041824. Stops in Paris at the Opera Garnier, rue Scribe, in front of the American Express office. Takes about 45 minutes. Buy tickets on board. 48FF Jan 2001. From Opera, you can take the metro or a taxi to your final destination in Paris. <BR>Roissy RER line B: <BR>It serves the terminals 1 and 2 by shuttles from the RER station. In Paris it stops at the Gare du Nord and and Denfert-Rochereau RER/métro stations. Length of trip: 35-45-min. This mode of transportation makes sense only if you don't have a lot of luggage and you are traveling with two or less. If you plan to use the RER to return to the airport, buy a round-trip ticket. <BR>You buy a combined ticket for the metro-RER-Aeroports de Paris shuttle. Runs every 15 minutes. <BR>24-hour information (in five languages) Tel: 0141568900 <BR>RER Metro and Bus maps and info <BR>www.ratp.fr. <BR>www.paris.org/Metro/ <BR>Airport Shuttle, a van service. You can call them when you arrive, they pick you up at your terminal and take you to your hotel. They may be picking up others as well, so you may make stops at other hotels before you get to yours. <BR>The e-mail address is: <BR>[email protected] <BR>They have a desk at the airports, but encourage booking in <BR>advance so you don't have to wait. Toll-free # from US is 888-426-2705. <BR>Their web site: www.paris-anglo.com/clients/ <BR>ashuttle.html. <BR>OR, take a taxi, I don't know your home currency but in Dec 2000 in US dollars it cost us about $45 on a weekday morning. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

paul Feb 12th, 2001 02:08 PM

Thanks Elaine - great information.

Christina Feb 12th, 2001 03:45 PM

The Air France shuttle bus has more lines and stops than just the one to the Etoile. The also have a bus (separate line, you have to be sure you get on the right one) that goes to Gare de Lyon and then Montparnasse Tower; it leaves about every 30 min and costs a little more, at least to Montparnasse, but only runs until 9:30 pm and starts a little later in the morning. There are also a couple shuttle bus companies, I believe. I'd take a cab, it's easiest.

elvira Feb 12th, 2001 03:55 PM

The easiest, as Christina said, is a taxi. The other options are cheaper, and the choice depends on where you're staying. Our usual hotel is a stone's throw from the St Michel stop, so the RER B line works for us, 4 people, carryons only. The apartment where I stayed this fall was about 300 yards from Nation, so I would've taken the RATP bus from the airport (again, if just a carryon).

Tim Feb 14th, 2001 04:49 PM

My Parisian friend recommends these 2 options: <BR>www.airportshuttle.fr -or- www.parishuttle.com <BR> <BR>She has used both and we've booked a shuttle for 5 adults at 80FF per head. Easy to do both on-line and in English