Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris airport to Montpellier (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-airport-to-montpellier-1082520/)

peapod Dec 30th, 2015 02:03 PM

Paris airport to Montpellier

I need help deciding how to get from Paris to Montpellier. Arriving via Aer Lingus from Boston at CDG at 9:40am.
Air France has a flight out at 12:45 from CDG and 2:00 from Orly but I don't know if I can clear customs and get from Term 1 to Term 2 at CDG in time or try going to Orly for the 2:00 flight.
Another option is the 11:58 train, or 1:58 from CDG. Much longer but I can purchase the ticket when I get there and know what train I need. If I purchase the air ticket in advance and miss the flight I'm out the cost. I've seen the airfare as low as $65. which might be worth the gamble but some fairs are more than $100 and that's more than I care to chance. Renting a car service was terribly expensive. (over $1,000.) Appreciate any help or suggestions.

PalenQ Dec 30th, 2015 02:10 PM

What's a walk-up ticket cost? I'd think $100 or more and there is no guarantee that the train will not be sold out in 2nd class - first class rarely but add 40% or so to that walk-up fare. I'd do the $65 flight and put plenty of time in between plane arrival and next plane.

Or book the 1:58 train from CDG well in advance and get a deep discounted ticket - maybe about the same as that cheap flight or even cheaper - of course if you miss the train you're out with discounted tickets but that should be plenty of time. Check www.voyages-sncf.com for fares and www.seat61.com for great info on booking discounted tickets - for general info on French trains also www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

By train you pass some lovely scenery in Provence - plane you see only it from far above, cloud cover willing.

StCirq Dec 30th, 2015 02:56 PM

What's wrong with the 12:45 flight out from CDG Terminal 2?

You don't "clear Customs," unless you have something to declare, you go through Immigration/Passport Control - THAT's what takes the time, but at the time of day you're arriving that should take maybe 45 mins. at most, maybe a bit more if you've checked luggage. I don't see the problem. Have you looked at a map of CDG airport to see how to get from one terminal to another?

Buying a train ticket on the day of travel is the very worst option possible.

nytraveler Dec 30th, 2015 05:06 PM

IMHO the biggest problem I hve found at CDG is waiting for checked luggage. Not bad if you are the first plane landing at 6 am, but later in the day it can get backed up and we have waited the better part of an hour for our bags.

Christina Dec 31st, 2015 07:47 AM

I've never had to wait that long for luggage at CDG and I've flown into it dozens of times. Always arriving in the morning, but never that late in the day.

I'd take the train, probably, however, I wouldn't necessarily describe the scenery as Provencal loveliness.

I would never go from CDG to Orly to do that. I personally don't see any big risk with a 3 hour window, but you'll have to fetch bags, recheck, etc., so that's kind of a hassle. I'd take the 11:58 train. It is a four hour ride, but if you are going to waste some hours at the airport instead, let alone going to Orly, that's not that big a difference, and you'll same some time at Montpellier by arriving at the train station.

kerouac Dec 31st, 2015 08:48 AM

It seems to me like you have plenty of time to make a connecting flight at 12:45, even if you wait for your baggage an hour (highly unlikely).

I would normally prefer the train, just for the freedom of movement after a long flight (then again, it will not have been a long flight since you will have changed planes in Ireland) but the walk up fares are terrible. The walk up fare for a train tomorrow, for example, is between 93 and 101 euros. For trains leaving one month later, the fares start at 40 euros.

PalenQ Dec 31st, 2015 01:20 PM

I wouldn't necessarily describe the scenery as Provencal loveliness.>

In the eyes of a novice traveler to France I'd say it could be lovely - all those rolling hills and little villages in the distance topping them with church spires pointing up to God... but no not dramatically scenic but to me all of France is scenic so it is in the eye of the beholder.