Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris airport shuttle recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-airport-shuttle-recommendations-897322/)

lmgrabowski Jul 2nd, 2011 07:50 PM

Paris airport shuttle recommendations

I will be going to Paris on business in early August. I am middle-aged, female, traveling alone, and haven't been to Paris in a very long time. I am staying in the 17th, and am considering a shuttle to get from CDG. I will have a suitcase, a carry-on, and a document tube in tow, and will of course be jet-lagged.

Does anyone have a recommendation about a shuttle service to use? I have a read a number of reviews online, and they are all over the map.

Randy Jul 2nd, 2011 08:09 PM

I used Bee Shuttle a few years ago and it worked fine for me. I see the cost has gone up to 39€. With all that you have I think I would just take a taxi.

http://www.bee-shuttle.com/shuttle-us.asp

avalon Jul 2nd, 2011 10:09 PM

I've used shuttle inter. I like it because they are waiting for you and you don't have to call them when you arrive

Guenmai Jul 2nd, 2011 10:15 PM

I used www.parishuttle.com a few months ago, CDG-City-CDG, and personally had no problems. It was 30 euros each way. Happy Travels!

Sarastro Jul 2nd, 2011 11:04 PM

Shuttles present many problems including reliability, quality of service, and timeliness. Considering all available transportation options, I should recommend them as a last resort only.

For very little more than a shared ride shuttle, a taxi can give you personalized service that will not take you on a ride around the airport waiting to pick up other passengers and taxis are always available for immediate departure. The last taxi ride I took into Paris was just a few weeks ago into the 8th (a longer distance than to the 17th) and I paid 43€. Traffic was heaving as it was on a Friday. Overall, Parisian taxi drivers are hard working and honest people who provide an excellent service. A taxi will cost about half of what private shuttles charge.

Should you need an economic alternative into the 17th, the RER/metro is available for 9€.

A word of caution: never, never pre pay for any shuttle service.

CaliNurse Jul 3rd, 2011 12:42 AM

I used Super Shuttle a few weeks ago from Orly to Paris center--excellent !!

used paris-shuttle from 6th to CDG--also excellent.

BUT...it really varies, and i've had a terrible experience on "yellow shuttle" Sometimes i think they aer all just contracted out to different companies, and it just depends on your luck that day.

julia_t Jul 3rd, 2011 12:55 AM

I've used www.airport-connection.com

Last October they charged 20 euros

avalon Jul 3rd, 2011 01:24 AM

Shuttle Inter is not a shared van , it is a private car. It is 55 Euro from CDG to anywhere in Paris, about the same as a taxi. And there is no meter running if there is traffic or an accident on the peripherique

AnnMarie_C Jul 3rd, 2011 02:33 AM

We used Shuttle Inter this past December. Driver / service was terrific, we would use them again.

ParisJo Jul 3rd, 2011 05:31 AM

We've also used Shuttle Inter 4 times and have always had great service. It's so nice to enter the arrivals area and have someone with your name on a sign waiting for you, take your luggage and direct you to their van and then drive you to your destination without having to explain where it is or worry about traffic. We will be using them again in October.

Jo

Fodorite018 Jul 3rd, 2011 07:49 AM

On our last trip (2 years ago) we used Shuttle Inter, but do not recommend them. They were not there upon our arrival and it took several phone calls before they showed up. When we arrived at our apartment, I verbally confirmed our departure with the driver. I also emailed a confirmation during that week. Day of departure, they were nowhere to be found. We had to hurry and get a taxi so we would not miss our flight. The kicker was when we returned home I had an email from them saying their driver was there and we were not. I replied with the facts and never heard back from them. No apology or anything. Needless to say, I am not using them when I arrive in a few weeks.

Guenmai Jul 3rd, 2011 09:27 AM

julia_t: I used to use www.airport-connection.com regularly. However, at some point last year, after I was there and had taken them again, Super Shuttle bought them out. If you click on www.airport-connection.com, it will pop up Super Shuttle. Happy Travels!

ronaldkwok Jul 4th, 2011 02:56 AM

I used parishuttle (with one s)in my recent trip from CDG to the city. I booked online and I have to prepay. This was a shared shuttle service so it was cheaper than theose private ones, cost 38 euros for myself and my wife. It was OK for me but there have been a lot of bad feedback elsewhere about poor shuttle service. I believe they also have private shuttle service which may suit you better. Since there are so many companies, service and reliability seem to vary.

Ronald
http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/

gracejoan3 Jul 4th, 2011 05:43 AM

I have used Shuttle Inter for years and several times a year..excellent service 100% of the time. I even used them to take me to train staion for short trip to Provence. They were there upon my return, too. I don't know how they found me then.

I presently have them reserved for both my Oct - Dec and March - May trips.

I would not think of using another.

Last Nov. some friends arrived to spend 10 days while I was there and they made the mistake of arriving on the 6 am flight. PP office does not open until 9 and I was meeting them out front of the office. I checked arrival time and arrived at office about 5 minutes after their arrival. Their driver had another pickup but he called for another to come so they could sit in car until office opened in about 10 minutes.It is chilly that time of the morning. Now I would say that is going beyond any expectations!!

I don't recommend any service, lodging or restaurant to anyone! I only say what has been good for me! Make your own choices....

Joan

ParisAmsterdam Jul 4th, 2011 05:59 AM

A taxi will be:

- quicker to get to (they are closer to the terminal)
- faster into the city (they have HOV lanes shuttles)
- most likely less expensive
- a clean late model vehicle
- no question of paying up front and losing your money

I don't understand paying more for a shuttle.

gracejoan3 Jul 4th, 2011 06:19 AM

ParisAmsterdam,

You may find some who wil tell you their experiences when heavy traffic or an accident while they are watching the meter running and running if in a taxi!

I am always in new, clean vans or Mercedes sedans. Never a shared shuttle.

They pick me up right outside exit door..couldn't be closer.

Do not pay in advance...pay when you use it!

To each his own is the way I say!

a bientot...

Joan

Guenmai Jul 4th, 2011 08:15 AM

I've been using shared shuttles in Paris for well over a decade and have personally had no problems with any of them. I'm there at least once a year. Before shuttles, I basically used the RER or the bus.

I'm one person and prefer to take a shuttle for 30 euros. Some shuttles have been less. In a taxi, I have paid 55 euros, on average. If my parent is with me, then I take a taxi. Or if my Parisian friend and I are going from or to CDG, to/from his apartment in the 10th, then we take a taxi. In 2009, we paid 52 euros from CDG to the north end of the 10th. We split the cost.

As for being in a hurry, I'm not in a hurry. If I'm renting an apartment, then I already have the keys before I leave home. I don't need to rush and meet a rep. If, I'm staying with a Parisian friend, I also have the keys beforehand. If I'm staying in a hotel, then I don't need to rush to a room that won't be ready until around 2-3PM, if that. My planes usually arrive in the morning, between around 6AM and 11AM.

And as for pre-paying, I've prepaid and have not had any problems. The shuttle companies that I use are pre-paid ones.

To each his own as to what form of transportation one chooses to use and what form best suits his/her needs. I've used shuttles, taxis, RER, and the bus. I personally prefer the shared shuttle. Happy Travels!

oliverandharry Jul 4th, 2011 09:46 AM

One more vote for Shuttle Inter, which I chose on this board's advice. Private shuttle, waiting for us immediately upon arrival in the hall at CDG, despite a 1 1/2 hour late arrival and delayed bags. 55E for two, pay upon your arrival at hotel/apt., book it online. Note they are cash ONLY. I don't like the uncertainly of fees on long taxis rides, and the private services get you to your destination without delay. Recommended.

cybertraveler Jul 4th, 2011 11:43 AM

Ttt

Nikki Jul 4th, 2011 04:41 PM

I have used World Shuttle at http://www.world-shuttles.com/ several times with no problems.

I generally take a taxi from the airport to Paris because it is easiest and no need to call or meet up with a driver. On the way back from Paris to the airport I generally use a shuttle because you can reserve it ahead of time and it is less expensive than a taxi.