Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris 5 star Leading Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-5-star-leading-hotels-146385/)

Robin Jul 17th, 2001 03:47 PM

Paris 5 star Leading Hotels

I know this has been discussed before but most of the information I've pulled up on this site was from several years ago. <BR> <BR>Can anyone give any first hand opinions on the following hotels: <BR> <BR>Plaza Athenee <BR>Crillion <BR>Le Bristol <BR>Four Seasons George V <BR> <BR>Thanks!

wendy Jul 17th, 2001 04:27 PM

Stayed at the George V in April. Going back again next week. Hotel has been totally renovated. Rooms are larger than most other hotel rooms. Bathroom is very large. White flowers are everywhere throughout the hotel. White orchids are in the rooms. Obviously, I am going back so I loiked it. Pool/spa in hotel. Great onion soup. Any questions, email, <BR>

Robin Jul 18th, 2001 02:44 PM

Thanks for suggesting the Four Seasons Wendy. I don't ususaly look at the chain because it's ALWAYS more expensive than any other hotel and usually I can get some sort of package at a nice place. This time we're biting the bullet because it's my 40th! <BR>You only live once!!! <BR> <BR>When I made the reservation the girl asked me if we were traveling on business or for leisure! <BR> <BR>I just want to know, what company out there will put someone up at a Four Seasons? I'm working at the wrong place I guess! :) <BR> <BR>

Curmudgeon Jul 18th, 2001 11:46 PM

Please don't call the hotel, or the street it's on, the "Four Seasons." Also, there are no "five star" hotels in France. They are assigned 1-4 stars, with a 4* luxury rating at the top. <BR>The Ritz is the best hotel in Paris, bar none. The George V is very good, though.

Mark Jul 19th, 2001 03:31 AM

The Ritz is not worth the money. The people/staff are very arrogant and if you book the cheapest room ($ 500!!), you will get a small chamber under the roof! The newly renovated George V is by far the best best choice in town regarding rooms, facilities and service. No. 2 in Paris is the Meurice Hotel, a true palace near the tuilleries and Louvre, completely renovated, a marble dream! Check the website!

Ben Jul 19th, 2001 03:27 PM

Have to agree with Mark. In my humble opinion, the renovated George V is the top hotel in Paris and the Ritz is simply overrated, living on its past reputation.

Robin Jul 19th, 2001 05:40 PM

Curmudgeon, <BR> <BR>yeah yeah yeah.....get over it will ya?

wendy Jul 19th, 2001 06:35 PM

Robin- To answer your question, the company that I work for has the Georges V on our approved list- among the other top hotels. If you can swing it, stay there. Email me, if I can answer any questions.

Robin Jul 20th, 2001 04:11 AM

Wendy, <BR> <BR>We are staying at the Four Seasons George V! Can't wait!!! I told my husband that's what I'd really like for my 40th b-day so he said, "go for it".! <BR> <BR>I'll report back after our trip. I totally agree with the comments about the Ritz which is why I didn't mention it in the original post. It's far too snooty for us. <BR>

Angela Jul 20th, 2001 04:41 AM

Robin, Gourmet magazine had a recent edition I think it was March 2001, dedicated to Paris. There is a very nice article which compares luxury hotels including special rooms or suites that you can request. Have a great birthday!

Robin Jul 20th, 2001 04:58 AM

Thanks Angela, I'll try to locate a back copy! <BR> <BR>Robin

Myra Jun 18th, 2002 03:22 PM

Which Leading Hotel (or the George V)has the best view of the Eiffel Tower?<BR>Is there one that clearly has the best location?

Sherri Kardell Jun 18th, 2002 04:27 PM

Dear Robin ; I will be turning 40 in Sept. and I will also be staying at the GeorgeV. You won't be disappointed. The Ritz ; in my opionion; is really tacky it needs a make over bad. <BR>Happy Birthday! <BR>Viva La France!<BR>Sherri Kardell

Jim P Jun 19th, 2002 07:21 AM

The George V passed the ultimate test this spring, for us at least. The day after we checked in I went up to the Concierge desk to ask a favor without mentioning my name. It took him about 5 seconds but he responded "Of course Mr. Peterson.." And if service is not important to you; the rooms, flowers and restaurants are great!