Search

Paris - 5 days with kids.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:18 PM
HJB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - 5 days with kids.

Traveling to Paris next week with 2 kids (9,15) who would rather be on the computer than overseas. Can anyone suggest 5-6 venues in Paris that would interest both kids and parents.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Check out the Jardin du Trocadero directly across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower. I spent part of a day by myself there just people watching. The kids roller skate/blade and splash in the fountain pool. The fountains go off periodically - very pretty. Nice way to break up a day. Hardly anyone mentions this park but, frankly, I found it more interesting than others. Also, while around the Seine and Place St Michel take them to Café de le Depart right on the corner - the best NY Sundae I've ever had. There's a great pizza restaurant right across the street (I went twice). And, they might enjoy Puces aux Marche (flea market) near the Clingnancourt metro stop. There's lots of stuff to see between getting off the metro and getting to the expensive stuff. Then there's Montmartre - very touristy and funky but stuff going on to entertain.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Eiffel Tower
Louvre (can quickly see only the "main attractions" if they're bored)
Bateaux-Mouche boat cruise on Seine
Versailles (I love The Hamlet)
Take a Bike Tour
Conciergerie (prison)
Catacombs or Sewers tours
Shopping, esp. if they're girls - Galeries Lafayette, Bon Marche, or Collette if they're real fashionistas.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:17 PM

You can go to Parc Asterix, is the same as disneyland but typical French. We have also a big place covered to pactise roller. Rent a bike is also a good idea to visit our tipycal places in Paris or you can take "bateaux mouche". So many thing to do!! Depend of what are their and your hobbies!!??
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM
ira

topping
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Check out www.fattirebiketoursparis.com.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Walk them up the Arc de Triomphe to wear them out one afternoon or evening.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Buy them crepes from a street vendor; my son says he would return to Paris for the crepes! With our kids, it helped one day to have a private tour guide, one I got off this site; I think his name is Michael Osman. My kids were much more willing to follow him around than following me. Saint Chappelle takes their breath away. Climb anything: Eiffel Tower (at night), Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame. Michael's guide did a terrific Louvre highlights tour for us. Have your 15 year old read the DaVinci Code. Also, show some Scarlet Pimpernel movies or read the book. One night, we let the kids have pizza in the hotel room and we went out for a nice dinner. Also, didn't have them then (when we went to France), but we now travel with portable DVD players. since you're there 5 days, you might want to venture out to Versailles. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Take them to the Cité de Science at Parc La Villette - great exhibits, including a lot of hands-on ones. I guarantee they'll love the Odorama.

Use the Batobus to get around the city.

Take them to Berthillon on the Ile St-Louis, or to Amoro on the rue Buci for incredible ice cream.

Have them bring bathing suits and take them to Paris Plage to swim and play on the "beach."

I honestly doubt they'll even think about computers after the first few hours in Paris.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:09 PM
ody

Let them eat crepes.
Take the funiculaire to Sacre Coeur.
Let them find the route on the metro.
Go to Chartiers and let them ogle people eating snails and frogs legs.
And yes they really do call it Le Big Mac