Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, 4th time...looking for non-touristy things to do

Aug 8th, 2001, 12:30 PM
RMC

Well the title says it all. This is our 4th time to Paris (I can't wait). We will be there for 4 nights in the middle of October and we're wondering if anyone had suggestions about different things to see. I am slowly making my way through every single post in regard to France on this board but I haven't run into my question yet. If it's been covered before, my apologies in advance. I did see that there was a similiar post to this but the person was very into museums. We are not. We went to the Louvre, Orsay (sp?) and that's enough for us.

So to begin, we haven't seen the Latin Quarter so that's definitely on our to-do list. I think we have covered ever single major "tourist" thing to do which is likely covered in most tour books. My husband and I both love photography and just wandering through different neighborhoods. I know there are many Paris experts on this board so do any of you have any "out of the ordinary" suggestions??

Aug 8th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Katherine

If you are photography enthusiasts here's a suggestion. My daughter did a semester in Paris last year and took photos of all of the different interesting Metro entrances. Then she picked out her favorite and put together a calendar for this year. Find a topic that interests you and look for as many varied and interesting examples you can find. And just BE in Paris. Take time to sit in cafes, shop at the sidewalk shops, live like a Parisian.

Aug 8th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Ursula

RMC:
Some of my personal favourites are:
The Palais Royal (huge square with modern art, a real oasis)
The Buttes-Chaumont Parc
The Grande Arche at La Défense for its architecture and the breathtaking view
The Institut du Monde Arabe (terrific view from the terrace on the top)
The Jardin des Plantes
The 13th arr. (Chinatown)
Montparnasse area 6th/14th, beautiful Belle Epoque houses (ateliers of the famous painters (Rue Vavin/Notre Dame-des-Champs area)and famous brasseries such as La Coupole (very Parisian!)
Stroll through Rue du Cherche-Midi, 6th, (good for shopping and some nice restaurants like "Joséphine")
Discover the 16th arr. (rue de Passy, Avenue Victor-Hugo, Avenue Mozart)
You'll find some further info at my favourite Paris site: www.parisavenue.com
Have fun and enjoy!

Aug 8th, 2001, 12:47 PM
elvira

I have a file or two on this; if you want to email me, I'll forward them to you.

Aug 8th, 2001, 01:40 PM
s.fowler

elvira's stuff is GOOD
I'll top the thread I started on more or less the same topic -- I got some GREAT suggestions from this crew

Aug 8th, 2001, 01:41 PM
s.fowler

It's called "Help me with Paris!"

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Lexma90

RMC - You were probably referring to my post a month or two ago; I think it also had the phrase "4th" in the header. As a result of those suggestions, in addition to some museums, I think we're going to spend time exploring the Bois de Boulogne area. Fodor's guide to Paris has a good walking tour/description of that area - it's both a neighborhood and a large park.

Also mentioned in the response to my request was a canal in Paris; I can't remember the name right now, but if you like exploring the neighborhoods, that area may be another good one.

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:20 PM
elaine

article on Paris "off the beaten track"
www.bparis.com/newsletter1464
/newsletter_show.htm?doc_id=17636

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:39 PM
e

Visit the different street markets, such as Rue de Buci and Rue Cler. Great fun and great eating, too.

Aug 8th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Bedi

Paris is a wonderful city! I don't blame you for returning a fourth time. If you haven't been to the Latin Quarter yet, you are in for a treat. Rue Mouffetard (sp?) is a lovely little street in the Latin Quarter with cute shops, outdoor fruit vendors, fromageries, etc. Near or may be IN the LQ,(I can't remember for certain) is La Mosque, a muslim mosque which has an excellent restaurant and on certain days of the week offers spa baths. It's a beautiful building as well, but if you go in please save yourself some embarrassment and cover your arms and legs as a female. I was asked to leave because I was wearing a skirt that exposed my legs. The first man who asked me, yelled at me in french, so it took awhile for me to figure out what he was saying. The second man was much nicer, but make no mistake, they'll be on you like white on rice if you're inappropriately dressed.
bon voyage!

Aug 8th, 2001, 04:27 PM
andi

Ever been to the Parc Monceau. It's a charming smallish park in (I think) the 8th, anyway, tony neighborhood off (I think) Avenue Hoche. I stumbled upon it last time and fell in love with the place.

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
JOdy

Bedi,, WHITE ON RICE< I have lived in the south for 35 years and this is the first time I ever heard that expression..It is GREAT!!!! what part of the So is it from??

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:32 PM
el

Hi:
Go to the la Samaintaine Department Store for one of the best views of Paris and a nice light lunch or snack.
I also went on the sewer tour which was a lot of fun and if you have enough time
venture to Roland Garros where the French Open tennis happens. It is a beautiful place and can be sen on your own.
Have a great time.I have been 4 times and am axious to return soon.
El

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Kathleen

Elvira: Would you kindly also forward to me your file on non-touristy things to do in Paris? Thank you in advance. Your advice is always appreciated and credible, definitely the non-troll variety!

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:42 PM
andi

Elvira,

Since you've offered (and you seem to be quite the well-respected authority on this site), I'd love your file as well. Thanks.

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Larisa

Just wanted to suggest the Monceau Park.
And surroundings. In the neighborhood (I don't remember the name of the street or boulevard) there are monuments to Sarah Bernard, Duma Father with D'Artagnian, and Duma Son with his heros. All three of them very close and very talented.
Elvira, please include me into your mail list. Thanks

Aug 8th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Karen

Elvira,
My husband and I will be in Paris at the end of September and I'd love to see your list of interesting things to do. So.. if it's not too much trouble.
Thank you. Karen

Aug 8th, 2001, 07:11 PM
MHall

Hi Elvira,
I will be heading over next month too - could you please also forward me your file? Much appreciated!

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:01 PM
vic

1. Go to top floor and the rooftop of Pompidou Center for great views and a really cool restaurant.
2. See a show at the Chatelet theater , you'll be one of the only Americans there.
3. See the horse spectacle at Chantilly, ..likewise.
4. Go to one of the street markets that's not mentioned in all the guide books (maybe rue daguerre or at gare mott-piquette (certain days only).)
5. Watch the sunset from the tip of Isle St. Louis.
6. I don't know if its still there but in June there was a great exhibit on diamonds at the natural history museum in the Jardin des Plantes (which is also nice and relatively tourist free.).

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Ronny

Hello, Elvira!
We are planning a three week tour to Paris next June, living like a Parisian at an apartment between Pl. St-Germain and Pl. St-Sulpice. Your list of off-beat things-to-do sounds just right. When you have a moment would you send them to us? Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO