Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris 3* Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-3-hotel-556729/)

smrt2 Sep 6th, 2005 04:14 PM

Paris 3* Hotel

Just starting to plan for a trip to Paris late March-early April and looking for a 3* in the 6th (St. Germain des Pres) for around US$200. All suggestions would be welcome. Prefer smaller place, quiet, decent size rooms--not huge, but able to unpack and put a suitcase away.

Some of the one's I've looked at appear to be unavailable. Is that because they're sold out or is it just too early to book??

Resto recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!!

Travelnut Sep 6th, 2005 04:44 PM

It's a bit early to book (usually not more than 6 months out)...
$200 equates to about 160€ at this point...

A great site to view hotel photos and prices by arrondissement is www.parisby.com
They cover all the nice ones... you can check back here for comments (try a 'search') and also read reviews on Tripadvisor.com

Some hotels with potential in the 6th (without going out to double-check prices) are:
- Hotel le Regent (the standard room)
- Hotel Delavigne
- Hotel Edouard VI
- Hotel St Paul (St Germain)
- Hotel Agora St Germain

Travelnut Sep 6th, 2005 04:45 PM

I meant to suggest that you list the ones you're 'looking at' that seemed booked... someone may be able to advise on those specific hotels so you don't have to start over...

francophile03 Sep 6th, 2005 04:58 PM

Actually quite a few hotels are taking bookings for spring 2006 now.

francophile03 Sep 6th, 2005 05:01 PM

I should have suggested you to send an email request. Maybe you're trying to book via the hotel's automatic reservation site and it shows no rooms available due to the timing. Sometimes if you email them you can get a booking anyway.

sandi_travelnut Sep 6th, 2005 05:23 PM

We really enjoyed the Hotel St. Germain on 88 rue du Bac. Well attended small hotel on an excellent street.

http://www.paris-hotel-st-germain.com/

jody Sep 6th, 2005 05:35 PM

Our favorite after many ,many stays in the 6e in several hotels along rue Jacob and rue Verneiul is the du Danube,
Superior rooms are 150E and are large and individual. We find the staff very helpful ..if you need them to be helpful..though I do my research and don't have to depend on recommendations from people that may never have visited local restaurants ,etc while working in the area!

The danube is close to everything you want to visit , either by foot.metro or bus ..all of which are close by. It is our home aaway from home and I never can wait ot revisit! Hello Francois!!!!!!!!

elaine Sep 6th, 2005 06:02 PM

I'm one who recommends the Delavigne, mentioned above. It doesn't have a/c, so the season for it is good. Ask for a twin room (we had #24), it is much larger than the standard double, and the twin beds are pushed together anyway. Charming, even elegant, decor, good hotel breakfast if you want it, hair dryers, modernized bathroom, elevator, great location near the Odeon metro stop. Kind and professional staff.
Twin room about 130 euro at last check.
www.hoteldelavigne.com

Literally steps away, on rue Monsieur-le-Prince, is the restaurant Chez Maitre Paul.

smrt2 Sep 6th, 2005 06:58 PM

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions!!

Keep 'em coming!

USNR Sep 6th, 2005 07:08 PM

Seriously, for that kind of money you could rent your own apartment with loads more space, all the comforts of home, your own kitchen, a lot more privacy, and a lot more comfort. Have you checked out the vrbo.com web site?

oberost Sep 7th, 2005 06:28 AM

My wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Pas des Calais twice and Le Sainte Beauve once... both are in the 6th. Of the two the former is steps off blvd St Germaine and close to famous restaurants and to the metro. Comfortable, friendly desk, nice rooms in both.

vickiebypass Sep 7th, 2005 07:55 AM

I stayed at the Hotel St. Paul in April 05; I liked the St. Germain area and the hotel was close to several Metro stops. However, the street they're on - Rue Monsieur le Prince - was very noisy at night (several restaurants across the street and next door) until 2:00 am (my room faced the street, so a room in the rear might be quieter). My room (#14) was one of the biggest and best in the hotel - I looked at six other rooms before I left and they were all much smaller and less attractive. I was originally given a different room but when I checked in the rooms were being cleaned and I noticed a better room next to mine, so asked at the front desk and they moved me to the better room with no problem. Reception personnel were friendly and helpful. Room had a mini-fridge which was great for keeping sodas, yogurts, etc. TV was fine. Bathroom was OK - marble and new fixtures (not a lot of counter space for toiletries, make up, etc.) Breakfast wouldn't be worth paying for (mine was complimentary) - I think the price was 10 euros and the selection was EXTREMELY limited - yogurt, a granola cereal, canned fruit salad & croissants. I liked the hotel since my room definitely had a quaint, French feel to it (loved the 2 floor-to-ceiling windows) but am trying a different hotel on my next trip.