Search

Paris,15th Anniversary, new diamond ring for my wife: Need a romantic spot

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM
tn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris,15th Anniversary, new diamond ring for my wife: Need a romantic spot

I am taking my wife to Paris for our 15th anniversary. In addition to celebrating our time together, I plan on giving my wife a new diamond ring (our then 3 year old son lost her first, very inexpensive one, many years ago). We will be there the first week of January. We are having dinner at a nice restaurant that night. I think it might be more special to give it to her somewhere other than at dinner, so I am looking for ideas of a romantic spot to pledge my love once again...any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM

I don't have any suggestions but I did want to say your dear wife is very blessed to have such a thoughtful and sweet husband! I hope y'all have a wonderful trip in Paris
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM

If it's a warm night a bridge over the Seine with the Eiffel Tower in the background is pretty special. Pont Neuf or Pont Alexandre would be good choices.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:16 PM

I don't have a suggestion either, but I think that is so wonderful! I wish you all the best and many more years of happiness together.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:48 PM

How about the Pont des Arts? That's the little pedestrian bridge right below the Ile de La Cite.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM

How about Paris?

(Meaning, is there someplace in Paris that isn't romantic?)

January is tough call. How about this place for a pre-dinner or after-dinner drink? It's got a fireplace.

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/p...r-30-paris.htm

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Pont Alexandre, you poet, you!!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM

If the weather cooperates, then definitely someplace outside like the Pont Alexandre III.
If, for some reason, it's tipping down with rain and you need a romantic spot inside, then perhaps the champagne bar at Trocadero Dokhan. Oozes romance. But it might be a little out of your way, depending on where you're staying.

I do think there are unromantic spots in Paris. Like the immediate vicinity of the Anvers metro stop. Blecch. Dirty, tacky, full of noisy tour groups.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:41 AM

If the romantic spots are not possible because of weather, consider the inside St Chappelle in all its sparkling, <b>jewelbox</b>, glory.

Have you chosen a restaurant yet? Better recs can be given knowing in which area you will be.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:01 AM

Where is your dinner reservation?

Like others, I immediately thought of Pont Alexander III with full view of the Eiffel Tower. It gets dark very early, probably around 4:30. Before dinner, tell her the view from the bridge is reportedly not-to-be-missed. Arrive a few minutes before the top of the hour when the tower puts on its sparkle show. During the show, pull out the ring. (Beware, she may faint! Or maybe &quot;swoon&quot; is a better word.).

Alternatives:

---If weather drives you inside, there's the famous Hemingway Bar at the Ritz.
Or Le Bar 30 at Hotel Sofitel le Faubourg where you might snag a sofa in front of the fireplace. The piano bar may not start til after dinner...you could write them and ask:
http://www.sofitelfaubourg.com/bar30/bar30.html

---Pont Neuf with Hotel de Ville in the background (does she love &quot;Something's Gotta Give&quot; with Diane Keaton/Jack Nicholson?). If it snows, extra credit!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:54 AM
tod

tn - I have the little book by Thierry Soufflard named &quot;The Best Places to Kiss in Paris&quot; and seeing this is going to involve lots of those when she sees that sparkler, I am going to mention some unusual places you may like to consider:
If it's not too cold-

Under the Waterfall in the Bois de Boulogne: 16th Arr. What lies behind the cascade? A Hideaway for couples with a thirst for the exotic!

An aquatic rendezvous at Place Saint-Michel: 6th Arr. What could be more typically Parisian than to make a date at Place Saint-Michel? If you look carefully you will see there are seats provided so you can feel the spray from the fountain's two lion-shaped stone angels!

Ride a Carrousel: 7th, 12th, 16th &amp; 20th Arr. Paris has plenty of old fashioned carrousels so horsing around on a gaily-painted wooden horse at dusk as the city lights start to twinkle can be sooooo ramantic!

The &quot; I Love You Wall&quot;: 18th Arr.
Did you know lovers have their own special wall? Best of all it's located in the ultra-romantic Montmartre. Gazillions of &quot;I-Love-You&quot; messages are pencilled, stenciled, painted and carved into this wall.
Maybe take along your permanent marker to put your names there too?

Mona Lisa Won't Mind: 1st Arr.
All you do is stand in front of her when the crowds have thinned during the evening as you go down on one knee perhaps? She's already smiling knowingly!

Le Ciel de Paris: Tour Montparnasse 56th floor.
Go ahead! Shoot for the stars!
Le Ciel will put Paris at your feet with panoramic views of a million shimmering lights!

Well those are my choices from the book and I hope that wherver you choose, it will very romantic for both of you - congrats by the way!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:01 AM
tn
Original Poster

These are great ideas. Thanks for all the thoughts on this

I have thought about Saint Chappelle, which is beautiful. A little concerned about traffic. We visited last February, and even then there were a lot of people coming through.

I have also thought about the bridges. I am concerned about the weather, but as long as there is a backup plan, I can probably deal with it. The Pont Alexander III sounds perfect, and JeanneB -- great plan.

We are having dinner that night at Alain Ducasse.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts...I'd be interested in hearing more.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM
tod

Oh! Just one other restaurant suggestions if you haven't already decided: Girlspytravel posted a neat idea - the fab glass domed rooftop restaurant at the new Quai Branley Museum called Les Ombres. The website is very good:
www.lesombres-restaurant.com
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:40 AM

You are right to be wary of the weather. We were there in January and it was particularly frigid on the bridges. Unless it's an especially mild day, I would lean toward the &quot;special&quot; bar before dinner.

Out of curiosity I Googled &quot;bar paris fireplace piano&quot; and found this article from Travel World Magazine.
http://tinyurl.com/vtrg9
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM

Why don't you order a bottle of champagne from Room service at your hotel for a drink before you to to dinner and put the ring in her champagne glass. (But then... ahem... you might not make it to dinner.)
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thirza Vallois has a book published &quot;Romantic Paris&quot; restaurants, hotels, shopping, walks etc.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:18 PM

I haven't been to Paris yet, so I can't give advice on a romantic spot. I just want to encourage you to insure the ring before you take it to Paris, if you haven't already. I would be nervous walking around with a ring in my pocket or luggage unless it were properly insured. Chubb and Jeweler's Mutual have the best replacement policies for jewelry.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM

The spot I thought was most romantic for us was on top of the Arc de Triomphe, overlooking the city lights and the twinkling Eiffel Tower (I think it twinkled on the hour for ten minutes).

But... weather could be a problem. Also, you have to climb many steps to get there, so you may be tired and sweaty. And, there are other people up there with you, if you have the idea of being alone.

Your wife will be so happy to be in Paris with you, whatever spot you choose!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:09 AM

How about dinner at the Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel Tower?
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM

What is wrong with me? I was thinking in the whipped cream on a hot chocolate at Angelinas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -