Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris 14th - Hotel Chaplain Rive Gauche, Hotel du Lion, Hotel Sophie Germain, Hotel le Nouvel Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-14th-hotel-chaplain-rive-gauche-hotel-du-lion-hotel-sophie-germain-hotel-le-nouvel-orleans-402997/)

Travelnut Feb 24th, 2004 08:26 AM

Paris 14th - Hotel Chaplain Rive Gauche, Hotel du Lion, Hotel Sophie Germain, Hotel le Nouvel Orleans

Just wondering if anyone has recent updates on these 4 hotels. The first two are 2-star, last two are 3-star, in the general area of Denfert / Edgar Quinet.

No need to remark on the locations, as I know they are not 'central', however I don't tend to do 'central'. I have done a lot of surfing/research so have found webs, prices, photos, points of interest, etc.

I'm just looking for experiences with the hotels themselves, if you have any. Thanks so much.

Travelnut Feb 24th, 2004 02:22 PM

Perhaps someone will see this this evening..?

Travelnut Feb 25th, 2004 12:49 PM

I know there are some folks who like the 14th out there....Do you stay at other hotels and have never stayed at any of these..?

Christina Feb 25th, 2004 12:52 PM

yes

Travelnut Feb 25th, 2004 04:34 PM

Christina, you cracked me up - that has to be the shortest answer I have ever read from you! I think I know where you stay, and it is over my budget...but thanks for at least letting me know someone opened my note :)

grantop Feb 25th, 2004 04:57 PM

Wooo-Whoo Christina has learned to edit! I can't believed you answered in less than 3 paragraphs :)

Travelnut, wish I could comment on your specific hotels. the hotel du Lion was one that I had considered for a trip last year, as it looked good on the website (but they all do LOL) and I liked the location. We booked at the Hotel Moderne Caron in the 4th. Location was awesome, hotel was not.

Travelnut Feb 25th, 2004 05:22 PM

Oh, now, grantop, I don't really WANT Christina to edit herself... I think she gives very insightful and detailed information, and goes to a lot of time/trouble to answer fully. I was just teasin'...

And I know what you mean about the websites that make a hotel look good. I did find some feedback on Venere.com, and a few random comments here and there...just checking in with the Fodors gang. Thanks!

WillTravel Feb 25th, 2004 05:43 PM

Travelnut, what do you enjoy about staying in this particular area, since I am also considering it. The Hotel le Nouvel Orleans has lots of positive reviews on TripAdvisor in any event. I am also inclined to think favorably about a hotel named after a famous female mathematician.

grantop Feb 25th, 2004 06:21 PM

Oh, I wasn't being mean. Christina does offer good information, it's just that sometimes it can go on, and on, and on and tends to get a little "preachy" (i.e. my way/best way) but that's ok, everyone has something to contribute here, that is what makes this board great.

Travelnut Feb 26th, 2004 02:27 PM

I have not stayed in this area before, actually. I look for a hotel that is near 100E for twin room incl breakfast, that looks decent, and a modest effort for decor, minibar a plus. Don't want one that is really popular (Muguet!) because I want a better chance of booking, but wouldn't mind a positive comment or two.

I actually like staying off-center; at the end of the day we go 'home'. We like to walk a little before turning in, so I don't want boarded-up/graffiti streets, or all residential/offices. A grocer and cafe don't hurt.

Once I started looking in the 14th, which has its fans but not many, I saw that it has good transportation connections, and rue Daguerre looks nice. I've found many interesting articles on www.metropoleparis.com, written by a guy who lives around rue Daguerre.

I've stayed by Metro Villiers(17th) and Metro Convention(15th) and enjoyed that very much. So I'm going here in April and hope it will be the location I'd enjoy returning to each time.

rhianapritchard Apr 23rd, 2014 02:56 PM

I know this is probably too late to help you but I've stayed in both Hotel du Ln and Nouvel Orleans. I'd go for Nouvel Orleans every time. Is more comfortable, friendlier and less pokey than the Hotel du Lion. I found their staff to be unhelpful and unsociable!!

Kathie Apr 23rd, 2014 03:04 PM

"too late"? This thread is 10 years old!

Travelnut Jun 1st, 2014 05:19 AM

Ahh, memories of my hotel search! We chose the Sophie Germain because it was on a side street (quieter?). We have stayed there every trip since this first in 2004 (10th time coming up). They have always been kind to us as repeat clients, and we have grown fond of the local neighborhood. The hotel is undergoing a major / full renovation, according to their emailed response to my booking request for this September, and their rates will increase a good bit. (adding air conditioning!, lol, which we never need in September)...
I think the TA reviews of the Nouvel Orleans indicate they, too, are renovating... Chaplain Rive Gauche did so several years ago and raised rates considerably. Hotel du Lion remains in a moderate price range.