Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris 14th arrondissment (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-14th-arrondissment-31615/)

Andria Sep 2nd, 1998 10:39 AM

Paris 14th arrondissment

Does anyone know anything about the area and safety issues for a woman travelling alone in the area? I'll be staying at L'Hotel Moulin Vert and I want to know more about the area.

Richard Vicek Sep 2nd, 1998 11:33 AM

Good afternoon. Andria <BR>Have not stayed around this area, but this is what information could find as to the location of this hotel L'Hotel <BR>Moulin Vert, it is a 28 room hotel located on the street named Moulin Vert <BR>which is about 4 to 5 blocks south of the Montparnasse Railroad station, it is a diagonal street about 3 blocks in length to the SW. Closest Metro station would be Alesia, anywhere from 1 to 3 blocks from your hotel. This would be an iffy area, unless you find someone that is dead certain of the neighborhood. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il <BR>check: <BR>http://www.hotelguide.ch/-----www.ho...formation.---- <BR>www.parisnet.com/ <BR>

Donna Sep 2nd, 1998 02:36 PM

Since you are on AOL, go to Keyword: Bonjour (lots of terrific information on Paris there) and post a message. The monitor of the board lives in that area. I'm sure she'll post a response.

Sanne Sep 3rd, 1998 07:10 AM

Hey Andria. <BR> <BR>I'm a danish woman who lived in Paris some years ago and here is my advice. <BR>Please try and change arrondisement and hotel if possible.The 14 arr. isn't an attractive area in many ways.First of all you're alone and female and allthough things can happen anywhere I still wouldn't go for the 14th arr. It's risky.Secondly you'll be away from tourist attractions - meaning you'll have perhaps to take the metro back to the hotel in the late evening. O.kay everything is possible - and I have friends both in 9 arr.and in 18 arr. and aren't that afraid but take my precautions when being there. As a tourists - not that familiar with Paris and the language perhaps - I would change the reservation to i.ex 1 -3 - 4 -5 - 6 - 7 arr. if possible. <BR>Have a nice stay and take care <BR>Sanne <BR>

Christina Sep 3rd, 1998 09:29 AM

I disagree with the previous posts on how <BR>dangerous this area is supposed to be. To me, <BR>that is a perfectly fine area of Paris, and <BR>it has many advantages over more touristy <BR>areas--it is more residential, cheaper, and a real <BR>Parisian neighborhood. Yes, that street <BR>is in-between the Alesia and Plaisance <BR>metro stops, and it is called the Plaisance <BR>neighborhood. (It's a lot more than 4-5 blocks <BR>blocks from Gare Montparnasse) In the early <BR>part of this century, it was filled with smaller worker <BR>cottages and attracted artists who were also <BR>not of great means (ie, Giacometti). <BR>Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir lived around <BR>there a while, also, at the Hotel Mistral. <BR>It has sort of a faded charm with some <BR>spots of arts/intelligentsia. There are <BR>some great bakeries and other shops in <BR>the rue Daguerre area just north of there, <BR>There are remnants of an early artist <BR>settlement in the Passage des Arts with <BR>small gardens and houses, and other <BR>charming courtyards and small cobbled <BR>streets around rue du Chateau and rue <BR>des Thermopyles; great art film theatre (L'Entrepot) <BR>on rue Francis de Pressense, and a good <BR>hangout in its cafe-restaurant. A neat 20s <BR>style cafe at corner of rue Raymond Losserand and <BR>rue du Chateau, I think. Rue Alesia <BR>has tons of discount stores if you want to <BR>look for bargains, as well as several <BR>movie theaters. There are some good <BR>restaurants around there much cheaper <BR>than in the touristy areas of Paris (check <BR>rue des Plantes for restaurants--one <BR>specializes in rabbit but is good for <BR>other dishes, also--called Monsieur <BR>Lapin or something). Don't get me wrong, <BR>like a lot of Paris, a lot of the former <BR>"charm" is gone and there are newer <BR>buildings, etc., but unless you miss <BR>souvenir and T-shirt shops, I think you'll <BR>like it. I suspect the people who warned <BR>you about this area don't really know it; <BR>the 14th arr. is quite large and has <BR>different characters in diff parts--I can't <BR>think of any of it that is that dangerous, <BR>though (maybe right around train station <BR>at night, I suppose), although there's <BR> certainly parts that aren't that attractive anymore, like <BR>a lot of Paris and any big city. The <BR>Montsouris neighborhood is also an <BR>interesting area in the 14th arr. <BR>Heck, I've been in that area quite a bit as <BR>I stayed at Cite Universitaire one summer, <BR>which is nearby, and I've never been mugged going <BR>to the Alesia metro stop or shopping on <BR>rue Daguerre (one of the best bakeries <BR>in Paris is there at no. 82: Le Moulin <BR>de la Vierge), and never seen any <BR>suspicious activity whatsover. I've seen <BR>a lot worse in the Latin Quarter around <BR>where there's lots of tourists. Yes, you <BR>will have to take the metro or bus to get back to <BR>your hotel from the tourist sites, and I <BR>will admit I am not familiar with walking <BR>in the dark in the blocks right around <BR>your hotel. Personally, I am not comfortable <BR>doing that anywhere in Paris, though. <BR>I would think this area preferable to the <BR>3rd arr., as somewhere else suggested, <BR>and certainly just as good as many <BR>parts of some of the other arr. named <BR>(1st-7th). If you are uncomfortable at <BR>not speaking French, you might want to <BR>stay in a more touristy area, as even in <BR>restaurants and stores around there, <BR>they usu. only speak French. <BR> <BR> <BR>