Pardon My Ignorance - London Time

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Roger

Pardon My Ignorance - London Time

"Military time" (14:00 versus 2pm) is obviously used in London, at least insofar as the written word is concerned. But what about the spoken word? For example, if I phone a restaurant to make a 7:30pm dinner reservation, do I ask for a reservation for 7:30pm or for 19:30? And does one ask for a "reservation" or a "booking"? Just curious!

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Vanessa

That doesn't sound like an ignorant question to me, I'd like to know too! Also, does anyone happen to have the time difference betwen London and the States. I'm on Central time (Chicago).

Thanks,

Vanessa

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Gordon R

Roger and Vanessa,

Both in written and spoken English, we Brits do the same as you and refer to "2pm" etc. The only exception is on train and airline timetables, where we go along with our continental European friends and write "14.00". Hope that clarifies.

Best to use "reservation" when phoning a restaurant, but we'd know what you mean by "booking".

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Paige

London is 6 hours ahead of U.S. central time. Continental Europe is 7 hours ahead.

Sep 8th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Dave

You might also hear people refering to 7:30 as "half seven" - at least I think I've finally got that straightened out. Gordon, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 8th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Carol

Yes Dave, they all say 'half seven' but otherwise I don't find things that much different to back home, but that's South Africa, not USA, and they say we are very British in our ways.
Roger, hope you have a great trip : )

Sep 8th, 2000, 01:27 PM
JP

Is "half seven" really 7:30? In German, it would be 6:30.

Sep 8th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Angela

JP
In German - half seven (halbe sieben, hope that's spelt correctly!)is half TO seven (ie six thirty). In the UK half seven is half AFTER seven. I think in the rest of Europe the timings work the same as in the UK, Germany seems to be the exception.
Hope what I have written is understandable?
Angela

Sep 9th, 2000, 02:30 AM
Sjoerd

In Dutch "half zeven" is also 6:30. In England, "half seven" is normally 7:30, but once I was an hour late for an appointment with a Brit. Now I always confirm with "That's 7:30 right? Half PAST seven?"