Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Panic on ile st louis (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/panic-on-ile-st-louis-314786/)

minx Mar 2nd, 2008 08:36 AM

Panic on ile st louis

We have finally booked accomodations with guestapartment services for the ASTERI located Quai de Bourbon for April 16th-24 Although not our first choice, it was all that was available at this late date. I have just read a post from Jean mentioning renovation work at this address April-June and the subsequent noise,scaffolding ect.No mention was made of this when we booked. Can anyone tell me if this is accurate . The payment is due today....and we are in a panic.Thankyou

ira Mar 2nd, 2008 08:43 AM

Hi M,

Have you phoned the agency?

tomboy Mar 2nd, 2008 08:51 AM

I assume the workers work 8-4, or similar hours. Won't you be elsewhere at that time? If they were hammering at 2 AM, I'd be concerned. So, why not ask the apartment what time the hammering begins, and ends, then see if you can live with that.

roadlesstraveled Mar 2nd, 2008 09:32 AM

I stayed in a hotel in Rome for a week that was undergoing renovations. As tomboy stated, the workers showed up around 8 in the morning and were gone by 5. They did not work the weekend. Because I spent little time in my room during the day, I was not bothered at all. It fact it was fun seeing the progress they made when I returned to the hotel.

Christina Mar 2nd, 2008 09:53 AM

hmmm... well, I wouldn't be as blase as those guys, as I've been in places where the work began very early and lasted until 8-9 pm. Even outside the noise, renovations could lead to some things not working, dirt/dust etc, possibly smells (I had to vacate one hotel floor due to the paint smells renovation caused, not the noise). It could could affect access on the street, etc., as well as just perhaps being ugly (not sure where all the scaffolding was located.

That isn't that apt. where the owner was always cancelling due to plumbing problems, etc., was it? It may be fine, if it's not major work and limited hours, but you really need to ask the owner, probably. Isn't Jean the owner?

elsiejune Mar 2nd, 2008 12:18 PM

Don't panic. Send Christophe and Philippe an email today; they are certain to respond in the morning. We rented from GuestApartment Services this fall, and they were very professional, very accommodating. If it is indeed true, and they cannot book you in another apt., perhaps you can negotiate a better rate with them. EJ ((#))

minx Mar 2nd, 2008 05:19 PM

Thankyou for the upbeat replies But...we would not be happy paying 220E/night for a construction site.We very badly need this holiday to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet. Elsiejune...we have sent a message for Philippe and hope to hear only GOOD news in the am. What I am wondering is where and how JEAN found this information concerning renovation at Quai de Bourbon.Did we miss something on the guestapartmentservices website?I was hoping we might receive an answer from Jean himself.

janisj Mar 2nd, 2008 05:43 PM

&quot;<i>I was hoping we might receive an answer from Jean himself.</i>&quot;

The best way to accomplish that is to post on the thread where he posted that info - or possibly to another thread that Jean has been on. He won't know you are looking for him unless he sees the post . . . . .

sunnyflorida Mar 2nd, 2008 05:50 PM

I believe the renovations are at a totally different address than yours. I am sure they will clarify in the AM.