Reload this Page >

Early morning taxis in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:14 AM
Brian Robert

I will be catching an early morning (5:15) Eurostar in August and will need a taxi at around 4 a.m. I'm staying near Euston Station (in a dorm, not a hotel - so there won't be hotel staff to assist me in calling the cab). I'm thinking that if I walk to Euston, I will be able to find a taxi waiting, in either the bus or train areas. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this subject - finding an early morning taxi in London? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:33 AM
Pierrette

Hi Brian - I have frequently called a mini cab the night before for early morning departures.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:53 AM
Jim

Something I've always been curious about, and I've never gotten an answer. Why are cabs called "mini" cabs in the UK? They're regular sized cars. They don't transport only midgets. What's up?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:05 AM
janis

A pre-booked mini cab may be your best bet. Everyone in London uses them so I would ask someone in the office at the dorm to recommend a company (don't get a number off of an advertising poster on a light pole!) <BR> <BR>Not only will they pick you up on time, it will be much less expensive than a traditional cab. When in London I use reg. cabs too, but for late night or airport runs I use mini cabs. <BR> <BR>But you should also check out the night bus routes. It is possible there is a night bus that connects Euston w/ Waterloo. <BR> <BR>(mini cabs are indeed normal cars but they are not the traditional black London cabs and cannot pick up pasengers on the street - they must be booked.)

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:31 AM
Julie

One of the most reliable services I've found is Swiss Cottage Cars 171-431-2700 (may want to re-check on that # when you get there). They're extremely reliable and fairly reasonable by car service standards. I use them every time I'm in London.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:41 AM
ron

Jim, I imagine they are called mini cabs because originally many of them were Austin Minis. Just like regular cabs are still called Black Cabs even though many of them are no longer painted black.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:17 AM
Lori

A mini cab is your best bet - do call the day before to insure your early pickup. Do not count on a taxi at the train station. We've used mini cab companies (Ambassador is one that comes to mind) several times and had no problems. You can also contact www.london.transfers.com and see what they say. We've used them for pickup and drop off at Heathrow. I think your best bet is a mini tho.