Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Palermo tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/palermo-tips-349679/)

ilanit Apr 25th, 2008 06:35 AM

Palermo tips

After visiting Sicily once without going to Palermo, we hope to visit again next year and spend some time there. Have heard it is a tough place in some ways. I have found a bed and breakfast with a helpful owner which I thought would be good. I'd appreciate any tips on how to enjoy the city and minimize the tough part? Also, how many days are ideal? We are thinking of staying three nights with a late departure on the last day but could extend it.

travel2live2 Apr 25th, 2008 06:57 AM

The only tough thing we have found with Palermo is driving at rush hour. Last time we did it was a nightmare! The red lights are merely a slight suggestion. Three lanes become 7. But then we are used to wide roads with minimal traffic where we live - no horns or shouting or thumping on cars. Other than that it is an interesting place. Did you see the Monreale Cathedral when you were there? That is a nice half-day trip.

PalenQ Apr 25th, 2008 07:00 AM

On the way to Monreale, on the edge of Palermo stop by the chapel known for its macabre collection of bones.

Zerlina Apr 25th, 2008 07:06 AM

The difficulties of visiting Palermo tend to be exaggerated. Once you get over the traffic, which can be chaotic, it functions pretty much like any other city.

If I understand correctly, you are planning four days in Palermo. That will allow you to see pretty much everything there is to see. In addition to the obvious places - Palazzo dei Normanni, La Martorana, the neighboring San Cataldo for the total contrast, the Archeological Museum, the Regional Gallery of Sicily, the cathedral - go to some of the churches and the Oratorios of Santa Cita, San Lorenzo and the Holy Rosary for some over-the-top stuccowork, the Palazzo Mirto to see how the Sicilian nobility lived, the Vucciria or the less touristy Capo market. The Palazzo Valguarnera Gangi, where the ballroom scene of "The Leopard" was filmed occasionally offers tours; it's worth inquiring.

Old Palermo - and almost everything worth seeing is in Old Palermo - is quite walkable.

Definitely take the local bus from Piazza Indipendenza up to Monreale to see the cathedral.

ilanit Apr 29th, 2008 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's not as daunting as its reputation. I often find that to be true when we travel. And thanks for the tips on what to do. I can't wait.

forever39 May 26th, 2008 11:50 AM

Does anyone have any good, reasonably priced accomodation ideas for Sicily. We will be there the first 2 weeks of July and will begin in Palermo and drive around until we reach Messina. Thanks!!

TravMimi May 26th, 2008 11:59 AM

forever39:
You might consider a convent stay. The one in Palermo is next to the Duomo and the one in Cefalu is on the water in the old town.
http://www.youvideo.it/conventisiciliapalermoen.html

Truax May 26th, 2008 12:46 PM

Bookmark. Thanks for the info.

Castellanese May 27th, 2008 03:02 AM

Hi Forever39,

I'm also visiting Sicily the first 2 weeks of July and this B&B was recommended to me on this website

www.bandbilmezzaninodelgattopardo.it

I had originally booked this one

www.algalileosiciliano.it

but the first one has a more central location.

I'm also staying in Cefalù at the convent suggested by TravMimi. I'd also thought of staying at the one in Palermo, but they only accept cash and I'd rather pay with credit card.

Castellanese.

Siciliangems May 27th, 2008 07:32 AM

Hi,

I have just moved to Sicily with my fiance and live just outside Cefalu along the coast from Palermo. The best way to see Palermo is on foot, stay in accomodation outside the city and then go in on the train which are suprisingly good for Italy.

I know of a few great B&B's in Palermo itself but would advise not to take the car as that causes the most stress when visiting the city, trying to park and surviving the crazy driving.

Palermo is a great city but you must see through the grim and traffic and appreciate it for what it is, one of the greatest cities in the Med Area. It's history and fantastic buildings are a must in any visit to Sicily, but as suggsted on one of your replies don't forget to go to Monreale Cathedrale.

Let me know when you are coming and we will give you some suggestions.
[email protected]