Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Palermo Airport to Trapani? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/palermo-airport-to-trapani-523619/)

jeno Apr 23rd, 2005 06:20 PM

Palermo Airport to Trapani?

It seems like Air One is the only airline to fly from Rome (FCO) to Trapani (TPS). Does anyone know of any other airline flying between the two? The times aren't working well and I was told we could fly into Palermo. It seems quite far and we would need to take a cab, so I am sure it would be very expensive. Any ideas? Thanks!

Eloise Apr 24th, 2005 07:56 AM

I tried the usual suspects -- Meridiana, Windjet and Alitalia. Meridiana and Windjet do not fly the route, and Alitalia got all cutesy, with a message saying they don't sell the route on the Internet and inviting one to telephone an agent...

There are trains between Palermo and Trapani:

www.trenitalia.com

(About two hours, and you have to get into Palermo first to take the train.)

There is bus service between Palermo Airport and Trapani. Autolinee Segesta does the route. It's about an hour, but the times given for departure from the airport on two different sites are two different ones.

GAC, who is THE guru for Italian trasportation, including Sicily, has been missing in action for about a week. Maybe he's taking a well-deserved vacation... You might try reposting in a few days in the hope that he will be back and can give you correct information.

cmt Apr 24th, 2005 08:04 AM

Palermo-Trapani is definitely too far for a cab, but there are trains. I don't know anything about the bus systems in Sicily, but GAC has posted information about them and maybe you can find the threads. In some situations, the bus may be better than the train.

GAC Apr 25th, 2005 06:22 AM

I'm back!

If you decide to fly into Palermo (which has 20 times more flights than Trapani), but your destination is Trapani, here are your options:

1. BEST SOLUTION: take the Segesta Lines airporter bus DIRECT from the Palermo Airport to Trapani. Note that there is only ONE bus per day (none on Sundays). Check schedule at www.segesta.it

2. NEXT BEST SOLUTION: take the airporter bus from the airport to the Palermo train station (50 minute ride, service every 30 mins., 4.80 Euros). Then take the Segesta Lines bus from the Palermo train station to Trapani (2 hour ride, service every 30-60 mins., 7.40 Euros). If the connection works out, you should be able to make the entire trip in approx. 3 hours.

NOTE: you can also make the connection at Piazza Castelnuovo/Teatro Politeama in central Palermo. This will save you the 10-minute ride by bus to the train station. The outgoing bus to Trapani stops at P.zza Castelnuovo before taking the highway.

NOTE: train service between Palermo and Trapani is NOT as frequent, nor as fast, as the bus. I usually NEVER recommend the train.

3. MOST EXPENSIVE SOLUTION: take a taxi or a limo from the Palermo airport to Trapani. The fare is confiscatory: expect to pay at least 120 Euros.

As far as I know, only Air One flies direct from FCO to TPS.

P.S.: Did you know that Ryan Air flies non stop from London to Palermo, daily?

GAC Apr 25th, 2005 06:33 AM

CLARIFICATION:

London Stansted to Palermo by Ryanair is TWICE DAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!