Palazzo Olivia Apartments in Rome, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Rome and stayed at the Palazzo Olivia Apartments. They were great. The staff was very helpful, the apartment was immaculate and charming and the location can not be beat. I highly recommend this apartment.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Thanks, austine. I've booked there for a week in June after finding them here and seeing numerous favorable comments.
One question. I assume there is no daily maid service. How many towels, etc. do they give you for the week?
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the posting austine. We have booked 10 days there next month and cannot wait to get there. Any advice on nearby restaurants, bakeries, shops, etc?
Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM

We stayed in the Palazzo Olivia apartments this past June and were very pleased.

I found a wealth of information on the TuscanHouse web site:

http://www.tuscanhouse.com/rome/details.htm

Restaurants, ATM's , etc. There are many, many restaurants and several markets very close by.

Hope this helps!

Greg W
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM

As far as the towels are concerned, as I recall for a 1 bedroom apt (4 people for 4 days) there were 4 bath towels, wash cloths and a couple hand towels (this is subject to my questionable memory from 6 months ago...

I do remember that it was adequate and that there is someone on-site who, I am sure, would provide more if needed. I do not think there were any spare sheets. Blankets, yes.

Greg W

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM
glo

GregW,
We are thinking of booking for June, but have been told that there is no AC. Was that a problem for you last June?
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 08:47 PM

I also am staying there in May. Have heard such great things of Palazzo Oliva Apartments. Are you able to walk to most of the sights in Rome and how about the restaurants close to the apartment?
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Although I just posted this on another Palazzo Olivia thread it bears repeating here for future searches. My contract with Palazzo Olivia for a week in June states that towel and sheet replacement are provided "twice weekly". It is a little vague if that mid week replacement also includes maid service.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Thanks GregW!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 06:55 AM

We originally booked for three nights and ended up staying for 4. Our request for more towels was absolutly not a problem.
4janet- alot of sites are within walking distant. Piazza Navona-3min. Pantheon-10 min.Never walked to Trevi fountain but i heard its another 10 min. or so from the Pantheon. In the opposite direction you can get to the Castel St. Angelo in 10 and the Vatican in about 15-20. There are bus stops close by to get to the Colessium etc. So many restaurants to choose from close to the apt and surrounding the Piazza Navona.There is a little market close by for food and extras you may wish to purchase for your apt.When you walk out of the Palazzo ,take a left down the allyway and at the side street you will take a left down the little cobblestone street and you will eventually run right in to a market on the right hand side of the street.Great for fresh bread, wine, cheese, bottled water etc. Buy more T.P and paper towels as the apt does not come with alot of it!!Find the gelato place called Blue Ice near the Piazza Navona. The best!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I think the maid thing is subject to certain flexibility, at least, that's been my experience. Most agencies include it in the contract because they want to make sure the apartment gets cleaned before the next renter arrives. Much depends on length of stay and how many people. Private owners can be more flexible, especially if you travel solo.

Years ago, I rented a wonderful two-bedroom in old San Polo, Venice, which had numerous windows, two balconies, and the most incredible cross ventilation. All the floors were made of polished stone and they were gorgeous. After 3 days with the windows wide open, I noticed the floors were getting gritty from a thin layer of fine dirt. I found the maid's tools and wet mopped the floors myself. By day 8, I wondered why I hadn't heard from the maid. I called the owner to ask and he said her schedule was up to me. He had forgotten to tell me.

Even though our agreement required one maid visit per week for 3 weeks, she only came once, my day of departure. This apartment was so well equipped, especially towels, sheets, pillow cases, and cleaning stuff, I didn't mind doing it myself and the owner didn't seem to care that I didn't hire the maid more often. Had I planned to entertain guests or have a jam-packed itinerary, I would have utilized the maid more often.

Whenever I cook for guests in a vacation rental I always hire the maid twice, on the day of the dinner and the day after. I'm not always comfortable with a stranger in my "home," especially if I'm not in the apartment when the work is being done.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:13 PM

NYCFS, How did you find this apartment? It sounds wonderful!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 03:47 AM

Dear Laurie, This was one of those situations that could have been a disaster but ended up a delight. The owner e-mailed me the day before my departure with news of electrical failure in the building of my preferred two-bedroom in Dorsoduro. He offered the San Polo apartment and insisted I'd be happy there. When an Italian insists, I listen. I was stunned to find this gorgeous, big, brightly lit jewel in such an old neighborhood of Venice. I fell in love with it and the location. Unfortunately, the owner sold it 3 months later. Apparently he got an offer he just couldn't refuse. I'm sure the new owners are very happy with their purchase.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Thanks for your reply, NYCFS. I was wondering because my family is also renting a 2 bedroom apartment in San Polo in March. It is 90 Sq meters and has a fresco in the living room. I have never seen the apartment, so I hope it is as nice as the one you described!

It is near the Frari church. Can you tell me what you liked about this area? What are some good restaurants and shops nearby? Is there a grocery store that is close? Thanks again for your help! Laurie
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 03:15 PM

glo,

We were there at the beginning of June this past summer during "an unusually warm spell" according to the people there(38 C+ every day) and the heat did not really bother us. It is a very old building with thick walls which keeps it cool.
The apartment we were in had windows in the living area and a couple small ones in the bedroom. It provided some ventilation and the apartment had a couple fans which helped. It really wasn't uncomfortable, even for my wife who was very leery of no AC in June.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
glo

Thank you, GregW, I will check these apts. out.