Palau de la Musica- Barcelona, Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really like to experience a musical event at Palau de la Musica. Has anyone attended a concert here?. I know tickets will be expensive, but can anyone tell me what is a good price point/value ticket range, and where would those seats be in the auditorium? I would like to be in the larger hall, not the smaller venue. How far in advance can I purchase tickets? It seems the website only lists for a month or so ahead of time.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM

CriscoO, I can't answer any of your questions. I can only tell you that the Palau de la Musica is perhaps the most beautiful auditorium I have ever seen! I am envious.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I feel the same way as Iregeo. I can't answer any questions either, but the Palau de la Musica is gorgeous and well worth seeing even if you don't take in a musical performance.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM

We were just there in May. It was the most beautiful concert hall we've ever experienced a concert in. I kind of felt like the sculptures and animals were all dancing to the music. We bought reasonably priced tickets ($37 for two) online and sat in the balcony area. Please make sure to bring the credit card you purchased the tickets with to redeem your tickets at the kiosk.

At the beginning of the concert, we noticed everyone moved down to fill in the empty closer seats (not that I am endorsing this).
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM

I attended a concert there in Sept. 2007. Bought the ticket online about 1 month or less before the show. I think it was classical or flamenco guitar. I loved the building, the architecture, esp the ceiling is so beautiful. I think I paid $40 and change US for the ticket so not too expensive and had seats somewhere in the middle of the floor. I actually left at intermission because the music itself was not really up my alley and I found myself getting sleepy..what I most wanted to experience was the hall itself.

After I left I just started walking and as I passed under a window nearby I heard the most angelic and beautiful singing that I have probably ever experienced in my life. I lingered for several minutes just letting the music drift over me. That was a once in a lifetime travel moment that I will never forget. Enjoy Barcelona, it is a magical place.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM

My husband and I went to a concert of Catalan music, choral and orchestral. and found the experience moving. There was music celebrating their heritage and persecution by Madrid (Spain).

The building is extraordinary, but you should experience a concert, too.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Whow!! I got goosebumps from all of your messages. Your right, it doesen't make sense to spend 12 Euro for a tour when you can spend a bit more and experience the whole effect and have an evening out! We will be in Barcelona in October so I have plenty of time to watch the concert schedule. Has anyone had any other great musical evenings in Barcelona, Flamenco (dance or guitar), or heritage music as marislvia referred to? For me, nothing solidifies a travel experience/connection like food and music.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:23 AM
yk

Crisco - just check their schedule when it's available. When I attended a classical concert there in Feb 2008, it featured the resident choral group (Cor de Cambra del Palau de la Musica Catalana) along with the Orquestra Simfonica de Barcelona i Nacional de Catalunya. The first half of the programme were 2 pieces by Catalan composers: Salvador Brotons and Xavier Montsalvatge. The second half was Faure's Requiem.

The ticket wasn't that expensive as I recall (between 30-40 euros). The hall isn't that large - you should get a decent view.

Just FYI, I actually attended both the concert, AND the English guided tour while I was in Barcelona. I just could not get enough of that hall!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM

great suggestion! i'm newly inspired!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM

ALmost exactly one year ago, excellent center orchestra seats were 25 euros. It was a program with the Hungarian Symphony Orchestra, but the building is the star of the show and you get to see the magnificant concert hall, which you DON'T see on the guided tour. However, you get to see other things on the guided tour that you DON'T see during a concert (and it's dark). So...if you have the time, money and inclination, do a concert AND a tour!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM

JenV: IIRC, the ceiling was painted by Chagall. I may be mixing up the Palau and the Paris Opera House, but that's old age for you.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
yk

No, the ceiling of the auditorium at the Palau de la Musica is not painted. It is composed of stained glass/light, and tile/ceramic surface. The Chagall painted ceiling is Opera Garnier in Paris.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Thanks yk, I was beginning to think I'd gone crazy as I was trying to imagine what I saw being painted. It is exquisite regardless of the artist in any case.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I attended a concert in March ( the second visit). It is a great place with very reasonable ticket prices.

here is the site :

http://wwww.palaumusica.org/index.jsp?seccion=216