Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Palasso Sasso in Ravello or Covo dei Saraceni in Positano?

Notices

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Italy in a few weeks and will be spending approximately 4 days on the Amalfi Coast (our first visit to this area), in addition to Florence and Rome.

While our initial preference was to stay in Positano, we were not able to get our first choice of hotel (Le Sirenuse or San Pietro) and ended up booking a room at the Covo dei Saraceni. After reading many of the reviews on Fodors, I became a little wary of the quality of the rooms at Covo, as many travelers have posted complaints. As a result, I looked into alternatives and found a room at Palasso Sasso in Ravello or Caesar Augustus in Anacapri.

Since this will be the only part of our trip where we will be relaxing and sleeping-in, we really want to stay in a great hotel with nice amenities. I'd surely appreciate any advice or recommendations!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stay in Positano at Palazzo Murat--in their older section.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look, there are a lot of great places recommended for Positano. We actually stayed at Covo dei Saraceni in 2001 and our room was good, the view fantastic and the breakfast good. However, I guess a lot can happen in two years. I haven't seen the negative reviews, but my wife and I liked the hotel. Good luck.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion and feedback!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Villa Rosa was beautiful,across the road from Le Sirenuse and great for sleeping-in! I think Ravello is beautiful, but the half-hour trip to just Amalfi let alone anywhere else would get a bit trying. Maybe just visit Ravello, and try to take in a concert, too. Look up Ravello Concert Society on google for their times and what concerts are on. Buon Viaggio!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at the Covo dei Saraceni four years ago and loved it.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Palasso Sasso is supposed to be one of the best hotels in Italy. If you don't mind the idea of the hotel as destination, you'll be fine. Ravello is quite beautiful, and offers excellent concerts every summer, but it is is a bit of a trek from the other towns on the Amalfi Coast.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two hotels are in very different classes; so I don't think you can really compare them. If you are looking for a 5-star hotel, consider the Santa Caterina just up the road from Amalfi. Such a breathtaking location hugging the cliffs full of bougainvillea and orange groves. I personally like being outside of the villages, and it is any easy walk downhill to Amalfi (the hotel also has a shuttle to the village). Their website is hotelsantacaterina.it, or go through Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com. As for Le Sirenuse, it is beautiful, and I love Positano but don't think I would want to stay there as it is too crowded and noisy in town, plus the access to swimming in the Med is not as good.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. I'll be sure to share my experiences when we return from Italy next month.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sasso IS one of the finest hotels in Italy and a much better choice than saracini (nice spot but a different class altogether). I personally would also choose it over the Sirenuse. The Murat doesn't even figure at this level and the Santa Caterina is a good alternate recomendation someone made. (I've stayed in all except the latter which I visited).
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Palazzo Sasso gets my vote, as well. If you are even considering hotels in this price bracket, you can do no better. This is a truly special hotel. Besides, Ravello is a lot quieter than Positano (for "sleeping in"), and the views are amazing.