Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   palaces and castles in Vienna (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/palaces-and-castles-in-vienna-456073/)

mike_b12 Jul 2nd, 2004 09:50 PM

palaces and castles in Vienna

I would like to know what castles and or palaces in and around Vienna I must visit.
mike

rkkwan Jul 2nd, 2004 10:17 PM

Schoenbrunn in the SW part of Vienna is the highlight of most Vienna visits. There are also many exhibits at the Hofburg in central Vienna.

Outside of Vienna, the Melk Abbey is as imposing as any real castle along the Danube, and is magnificent.

ira Jul 3rd, 2004 03:34 AM

Hi mike,

Have you looked at the minguide to Vienna at www.fodors.com?

JmVikmanis Jul 3rd, 2004 03:52 AM

Be sure to see the Belvedere. It's now a museum housing some great art of Austria including Judith by Klimt. It has beautiful gardens and is one of the most graceful, beautiful buildings imaginable. Perhaps my all time favorite palace.

bettyk Jul 3rd, 2004 07:41 PM

Cafe Central would be a nice place for lunch or a coffee break. It' inside the Palais Ferstel, one of many old "palaces" in the city that now serve other purposes. Palais Schwartzenberg, a beautiful property, is now a hotel and restaurant.

Mthomp77 Jul 4th, 2004 11:09 AM

Schoenbrunn is a definite must. Also, when we were there in May we spent almost 5 hours in the Art History Museum in Museum Quartier.

BetsyG Jul 4th, 2004 06:06 PM

Ditto on the Melk Abbey,it is beautiful. Also, the museum that houses the armory & musical instrument museum (in Vienna) It was the last palace built by the Hapsburgs & is beautiful, if just for the marble! My daughter said she felt like a princess walking around in it & she is 15. The armour is interesting & they have a very good audio tour.

Giovanna Jul 4th, 2004 09:15 PM

Here's the website for Schoenbrunn Palace. It's a beautiful place and we very much enjoyed our tour.

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/publicdir/

Giovanna Jul 6th, 2004 05:54 AM

Topping in case Mike doesn't have this great website for Schoenbrunn.

bettyk Jul 7th, 2004 11:41 AM

I think Mike has abandoned us! Boo hoo.

lwinokur Jul 7th, 2004 01:10 PM

Vienna is great, but if you have time, go to Mondsee and St. Gilgan (I'm not sure about the spelling, sorry). They are great little towns, not too far from Vienna. If I remember, they're only about an hour away. They're BEAUTIFUL and really, I thought Vienna was nothing compared to them.

lwinokur Jul 16th, 2004 06:58 PM

oops, sorry....they're near salzberg.

mike_b12 Nov 24th, 2004 03:30 PM

Thank you everyone. just got back a couple of weeks ago. Great trip. We went to Schoenbrunn and it was great. Also went to many of the great composes homes and the big street market. A highlight was the concert where all the players dressed up in the costumes of the classical era.

Thanks again
Mike

Thanks again,
Mike

JanePost Nov 24th, 2004 03:55 PM

Question: If one already visits the Versailles, will the person still be appreciate the smaller model?

Sorry Mike I stole your identity!

Anyone who has gone to both places or has an idea please reply. Thanks.

Michael Nov 25th, 2004 09:33 AM

The Furstenberg collection is housed in its original site with was the townhouse of that princely family.

Judy_in_Calgary Nov 25th, 2004 10:33 AM

JanePost, I've been to Versailles and Schoenbrunn, and enjoyed both. (Saw Versailles first, Schoenbrunn second.) But then I really make a conscious effort to refrain from comparing places. When I'm in a certain spot, I immerse myself in the history of that spot.

bob_brown Nov 25th, 2004 06:57 PM

I agree with Judy. Versailles is one place; Schönnbrunn another. For one thing, I thought Schönnbrunn looked like a place where real people worked as well as lived their daily lives.

Although it is lavish as one would expect in a Hapsburg palace, Schönbrunn failed to convey to me a feeling that it was as excessively overdone as Versailles.

But that of course is a question of judgment and taste.

Vienna is a different culture and it stood at an interchange point in central Europe.

I enjoyed my visits to Vienna. We were able to indulge outselves in light opera fare at Die Volksoper where we had a great time attending performances of Die Fledermaus and Die Lustige Witwe.

The grounds of the Belevedere are nice, and the palace itself is stylish. Sadly, the original furnishings were scattered to the winds by Prince Eugene's heiress and later paintings and statues were sold. Some to Turin and some to Dresden.

What you see today inside the upper building is an art collection.

Regardless, the building itself and the gardens are worth a visit. Also, the palace is on a high rise of ground which provides a marvellous view of Vienna.

Take Tram D to get there.

donnae_b Dec 4th, 2004 08:28 PM

While I am glad that we visited Versailles, I have to say that my husband and I both enjoyed Schoenbrunn Palce much more. Maybe because of the story of the Hofburg family. Even though they were royalty, they seemed like "people." The gardens at the Schoenbrunn were gorgeous, easily accessable, and had beautiful views of Vienna.
Bottom line is I am glad that we went to both.

mike_b12 Dec 5th, 2004 08:26 PM

ttt