Palace of Versailles

Aug 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Palace of Versailles

Hello,

I am wondering which ticket(s) I should buy. I want to do all of what entitles with the Passport ticket, but would also like to tour the Kings apartments, chapel and opera rooms. Which combination of tickets do I buy? I know that the Tour of the apartments includes the Palace, but I also want to see Marie-Antoinette's estate and Trianon palaces. I just can't seem to figure it out on the website. I must be missing something, does that passport include that particular tour that I am interested in? Any help would be great and I am sorry if I just missed something. I try not to waste your time on here.

Thank you.
Aug 16th, 2012, 08:56 PM

If you go early, before the main Palace opens, you can stroll the grounds, see the two Trianons and Marie A's 'farm'. It's quiet and you can have the grounds almost to yourself.

By the time you get back, the Palace would open and you can take one of the Palace tours.
Aug 16th, 2012, 11:55 PM

I thought the Passport gave you everything. It's E18 (or E25 for the fountain days):

"gives you admission to all the Palace tours : grounds, Trianon palaces and Marie-Antoinette's Estate. Musical Fountain Show, Musical Gardens (from april to october) and exhibitions are also included."

The E16 ticket (guided tours with lecturer) does not give access to the Trianon.

There's an E16 ticket that is only for the guided tours.

The ticket for the Trianon is E10.

I'm not sure how the E15 ticket differs from the E16 ticket.

You definitely want the Passport ticket. That's the only ticket that gives you everything.

I do think the ticket pricing is confusing. I guess some people have been to Versailles before and do not want to see everything again so there are different tickets. But it's only a couple of Euro more to get everything.

When you see the entire palace it's a very long and tiring day. There's a little train that will take you to the Trianon and use it if you get tired but space on the train is limited. I'm not sure if you need to buy a separate ticket. The Trianon is about 1KM from the palace. When you arrive, check the tour times so you don't miss them.
Aug 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I called the information office and if I buy the passport ticket she said I would get a discounted price on the apartment tour of 6 euro, and should schedule it when I arrive in the morning on a day that it is being conducted. I hope that information helps someone. It helped me.
I was confused by the description of the passport ticket that you posted above, because when I followed through to "purchase" the apt tour wasn't included in the description anymore. I am assuming purchasing the passport ticket allows you to be eligible to purchase a tour, based on the information I received when I called.

Thank you for the tips about visiting the palace.

Did you enjoy your visit? I have always wanted to see the palace as I have read many books on Marie-Antoinette. The first being one of the "princess diary" series when I was a little girl, which sparked my interest in world history, even though the book is very loosely based on her life.
Aug 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM

It's good that you called and posted the info for others. I copied the description of the passport ticket from the site.

I loved the King's and Queen's chambers tours. I remember Marie Antoinette's nap room and thought that's the way to live - a separate nap room!

I liked Versailles the first time I went as it was not crowded but the additional tours were not available. I saw them at another time. I also liked the Hamlet. The Hall of Mirrors will be very crowded. I think they limit the number of people on the tours, at least they did when I went.

I've only read Abundance but thought it was interesting.

Enjoy your visit!