Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   pain du Chocolat? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pain-du-chocolat-120807/)

elyse Apr 28th, 2001 03:03 AM

pain du Chocolat?

Bonjour- Can you please fill me in on what exactly "pain du chocolat" is? My husband always talks about it- and I need to know...exactly what it is? Merci- elyse

wendy Apr 28th, 2001 03:13 AM

Pain au chocolat is an oblong milkbread pastry with a strip of chocolate inside and is a breakfast roll. The best are the ones that are light, flaky and like a croissant...and the chocolat melts in your mouth when drinking coffee or chocolate chaud!

Flavigny Apr 28th, 2001 03:25 AM

A croissant with a small bar of dark semi-sweet chocolate in the middle. But not folded into a crescent moon shape. <BR> <BR>An essential part of French breakfast. <BR> <BR>Not that hard to find at places like Au Bon Pain, in many larger American cities. Or have they all gone out of business?

An experiment Apr 28th, 2001 09:58 PM

First posted April28 <BR>

Jamie Apr 28th, 2001 10:41 PM

An interesting thing: Pain au chocolat is called a "chocolatine" in the South of France! If you ask for that anywhere else, they won't know what you are talking about.

Ursula Apr 29th, 2001 04:43 AM

Flavigny: I do not think it is THAT essential among French for breakfast. Rather among children for the afternoon break, I would say. <BR>But tourists usually get "pains au chocolat" at the hotel with their breakfast, that's correct.

Yeuchh Apr 29th, 2001 10:18 AM

A horrible combination in my opinion. <BR>Pain au Raison ( SP ? ) is nicer, I think.

Ursula Apr 29th, 2001 12:24 PM

Yeuchh: it is all a question of personal taste, don't you think so? <BR> <BR>... and it's "pain au raisins". <BR> <BR>Anyway, it's a nice typo/misspelling. <BR>"La Raison" = The right (I guess)

wendy Apr 29th, 2001 02:08 PM

Actually, it is 'pain aux raisins'. <BR> <BR>

L Apr 29th, 2001 02:13 PM

For Flavigny ([email protected]), who asked: <BR> <BR>Au Bon Pain is still making New Englanders fat -- and still making good chocolate croissants! <BR> <BR>Libbie in Maine

Capo Apr 29th, 2001 02:15 PM

While some people I know thought "Chocolat" was a bit of a pain, I found it very funny and charming. :~)

StCirq Apr 29th, 2001 06:37 PM

Pain au chocolat, ou bien chocolatine ( and yes, I have seen that in Paris on the rue Cler, among other places, not just in the south of France), is a wonderful treat, but one that most French youngsters would have for "snack," or afternoon treat, not necessarily in the morning, though I'm sure there are mothers who feed them this delicacy for breakfast. Pain aux raisins is something I never could get used to - something about the grapes that doesn't do justice to the bread. Now, pain au raison, I think I need one of those daily, along with my calcium pill.

Ursula Apr 29th, 2001 10:44 PM

Wendy good morning! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your correction (" pain auX raisins")! I got aware of it later. <BR> <BR>However, I do hope you will allow me some mistakes in English and French, (Swiss) German being my first language. <BR>Thanks.

Curious Apr 30th, 2001 12:06 AM

Serious question from someone who has never been to France - how do pronounce Pain as in Pain au Chocolat...I'm guessing its different to 'you are such a pain!' Thanks.

Rex Apr 30th, 2001 03:55 AM

Roughly like "pandemonium" - - but stop before you get to the "n" (the first "n"). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Ursula Apr 30th, 2001 04:24 AM

Rex: Well, I guess you did it. Felicitations! And I was thinking SO hard. I was going to propose "vin", but as the person does not seem to speak any French, I was really lost. <BR>Anywany, what's a "pandemonium"? <BR>Well, I see it must be something like "hell". So, nothing to do with "pain au chocolat" which is sort of "heaven" for me! LOL

just Apr 30th, 2001 05:40 AM

Have any of you had a similar pastry filled with cheese. Is it called "pain au fromage?" Whatever it was I'll take two, please.

Ursula Apr 30th, 2001 05:59 AM

Justcurioushere! <BR>You will get that in Corsica. HOwver, I can't remember how it's called. <BR>It's with goat cheese and it's yummy! I'll take two too!