Paging Elaine and other Prague experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Prague by train (from Germany) - and am trying to get an idea of what kind of transportation option that I can take to get to my apt (by the St. Agnes Convent). I got the impression that I need to know my way out from the train station and what kind of transportation I will need (and the price range) because it will be a mob scene. Do you have tips you can share with me? Thanks!!!
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM

I am far from a Prague metro expert and I've never arrived in Prague by train. The main train station is called Hlavni Nadrazi, which is a stop on the metro C line.
The closest metro stop to your apartment is Starometska, line A.
You can change from C to A at the Muzeum stop. As with any metro anywhere, I hope your luggage is light.

see metro map http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/pragu...ghts_metro.htm
good luck
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Elaine- I plan on taking a 22" suitcase with wheels, and I am a pretty light packer. Would you recommend that I changed metro from C to A and walk to my apt from the Muzeum Stop?
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM

no, because if you walked from there, you wouldn't be changing metro lines, you'd be getting out. Also, the Muzeum stop is in the opposite direction from the train station as your apt., so you'd be farther away than if you just walked from the station.

I don't know about the mob scene, is there something special happening when you will be arriving? A cab would be best to that location, of course, although I know Prague cabs are considered dicey from stories. I have never taken one, only private cars who worked with my hotel, so they knew they were reliable.

The problem is St Agnes convent is not near a metro stop. I've stayed around there and taken several buses so know it a little, but it's really not a great location for you to get to by public transportation with luggage.

The best option would be to take the metro from the train station to Florenc stop (just one stop north). Around FLorenc, you can get the bus no. 207 which goes along the river (Na Frantisku) right by St Agnes convent). That is the closest by public transportation, I think. An alternative would be to take the tram line that goes up Revolucni which isn't too far away (several short blocks). That's the tram I took often as it was near my hotel. Trams 5, 8, 14 and 53 go up that street. YOu can get a couple of them by Namesti Republicky metro station, but that involves a transfer from the line the train station is on.

I don't think the other tram lines go by the rail station, but I believe you can pick up tram 5 nearby and then you wouldn't have to fool with the metro and transferring. I think you can get that on a street not too far north of the train station.

IN short, this is really rather complicated, and think you should try to arrange for a car or taxi. YOu had best be getting a map, also.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM

you know, it is easier to just take metro and if you don't mind going a ways with your luggage, that would be simplest.

Elaine was saying you need to transfer metro lines at Muzeum, not that you get out there--you would get out at Staromestska stop. that's still quite a ways from your apt. (maybe 8 blocks), could be .5 to .75 mile. But if you only have a small 22" roller suitcase, you can pull that eight blocks ok as long as the weather is decent.

A cab should not cost much, maybe 250 CK, if you can get one okay. If you don't mind the walk, that will work.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Christina - Thank you so much for all of the details. I think I am going to just try to haul a cab from the train station. The metro transfers and walking might be too stressful for me, although do-able, especially since I will be arriving around 18:23 at the station. I dont have a real map, but I use mappy and maporama (I think either you/Elaine/Framboise suggested it) to help me get a mental picture of all of the places in Prague. The 250CK is very reasonable for a cab ($10). Is there any specific cab with good reputation I should look for? Thanks again.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

The transportion got me into coming up with another question: livingprague.com recommended that we get money from ATMs attached to a bank. Is there an ATM at the train station where I can safely withdraw money for a cab? I also would need to make a cash payment for my apt upon arrival, so I am considering to withdraw about $200 (appx. 4800czk) at my first ATM stop in Prague - 4000 czk the apt + 250czk for the cab and that will give me a leftover of about 550 czk spending money for 5 days. Does that sound like a pretty good idea?
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM

i lived in prague for several months and whenever i needed a cab, i used AAA taxi. Locals at the company where i was working suggested them so I figured they would be fine. After using them many times, i can assure you that they always use the meter and are very honest. they can be called but are also a very large company so their taxis are quite easy to come upon around town.

i should also mention that the one or two times that i followed a coworker into a non-AAA taxi, we had to endure the negotiation down from the outrageous initial fixed price (which, of course, was claimed to be a much better deal than the metered rate). in these cases, we never paid the original price but in the end would have been much better off with the metered rate. don't bother with this rubbish...just use AAA and you don't have to worry.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I would not arrive in a new city without a city map already in hand unless I were being met at the station. They are easy enough to buy on line or from a local bookstore.
The train station is of course a prime tourist area. With taxis in Prague being iffy unless you arrange for a car service or AAA, I would think choosing a taxi from a line at the station would be taking a chance at being ripped off.
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Would you recommend that I reserved the taxi service ahead of time, or can I just arrive at the station and look for AAA taxis? The Prague map is of the things that I still have to get before my trip in July.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I don't know if AAA taxis line up anywhere, in my experience they have been called.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM
MaureenB

Could the St. Agnes send a taxi for you? We had our pension in Prague do that, and also provide us with the amount to expect to pay. Otherwise I've heard hailing a cab at the station can lead to being over-charged.

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Please call AAA taxi. You should find the number in any good guide book. Their dispatchers speak good english and will send you a taxi-telling you the cab number to watch for, There are phone card machines in the main lobby of the train station and an adjacent phone to use.
You will be tired enough. AAA is reliable and will not overcharge. Do not go to the taxi rank before calling--highway robbery is the result since AAA does not queue up in the ranks.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM

St Agnes convent is a museum, so to speak, and she isn't staying there so that won't be arranging cars for her.

I've also heard that AAA is one of the best taxi companies to use, so that sounds like a good idea. I've also hear ProfiTaxi (bad name) is okay, but AAA is probably the standard.

I've been at the train station, but wasn't taking a taxi from it so don't really recall about whether it is easy to catch a cab there. I suspect so if it's like any train station in Europe I know, it is common for a taxi queue at the train station, but I don't really know. I've also heard that it is best to call for a cab.

I seriously doubt that you are going to be able to arrange a taxi ahead of time to be waiting for you at the station. You can call them upon arrival, if you want, and get one even if you have to wait a bit. I suspect they are just aren't going to tie themselves up like that waiting for someone who may or may not appear. Here is a page that discusses taxis and gives phone numbers:
http://www.czech-travel-guide.com/cab.htm

Maybe walkinaround can comment on how to call them or the best way to do that, as well as my estimate of the fare. I think that would be about right from my experience.

I really would not do what you are proposing without getting a map and having a plan ahead of time. I got a map of Prague before I left, and one of the best maps for Prague I found is even made by a German company (Hallweg or Hallwag).

I don't know about ATMs at the train station, didn't look for one. I couldn't last on only 550 CK for five days spending money, that's hardly anything. I guess it depends what you want to spend that on, but I usually pay cash for any small item, transport tickets, admissions, snacks, small souvenirs and some meals. I think that is only about US $25 for five days spending money, isn't it?
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM

at first i just called AAA taxi for trips to the airport (they cannot pick up at the airport - "Airport Cars" is the only choice here). then i noticed that they are quite common on the street and at taxi ranks all around town. i don't know for sure that they queue up at the station rank but since i see them at other ranks i don't see why they wouldn't.
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:05 AM

I am not an expert at all either,
h2babe, you are coming from Dresden or Berlin, aren't you ? (Sorry if I misunderstood). Then your arriving station will be Holesovice, which is not in the city centre, not that busy as Hlavni. Even if they queue for the taxis, calling AAA at the station on your arrival as was suggested seems to me a better idea.
I think I saw an ATM at Holesovice station (no bank attached), but you could prepare some Czech Koruna in Germany.
I liked Prague metros but with suitcases I would not take metros from Holesovice. Metro tunnels near the river are very deep so their elevators are long, moving quite fast (also a little noisy). And that, I remember old town streets were almost all cobble-stoned. It is hard to walk having a suitcase with wheels.
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Sorry, I meant escalators not elevators.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I plan on buying a Prague map sometimes before I leave in about 4 wks. I have all of the other maps except Prague because I didn't find any that I really liked, so I still need to shop around and be prepared before I go.

Christina, did you get your map from a bookstore/online? I also wasn't planning to use cash to pay for my meals, so I was actually thinking that 550 czk for small souvenirs and transportation/admission fees. I know that even simple lunches will cost about 300 czk. I looked up some menu and prices for some of the restaurants recommended here. I should probably plan on getting 1000-1500 czk just to be in safe side.

Framboise, yes, I will be arriving from Berlin (or Dresden if I decided to have a stopover). So you're right, I will be arriving at the Holesovice station. I will take your suggestion on getting some money in Berlin, this would be probably easiest for me so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to get some money while arriving in a new station and trying to locate a cab. Phew

I am going to email my apt rep and see if he could call an AAA cab for me, if not I will just call them myself.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:13 AM

hi, h2babe, sorry I didn't see this before, not sure if you are around.

Yes, I bought my Prague maps at a bookstore in the US when planning my trip. After I got there, I picked up 1-2 more paper ones from the hotel and city tourist office. I got the Hallwag one at Borders Books, as I recall. I liked it because it had a good showing of the bus and tram lines, which is important.

I don't know about this place, but it has a good selection of Prague maps for sale
http://www.mapstoreonline.com/europe/maps_czech_rep.htm

They call the Hallwag one Cityflash -- I don't remember that name, but maybe so. I've also heard the Berndtson and Berndtson maps are good. I like the laminated ones.

I think it's a good idea to get some CK in Germany ahead of time, if you can. I know a lot of Germans visit there, so that's probably possible. If you are coming into HOlesovice, that's a whole different story in directions. Trying to get a cab is best, especially since yo' be arriving so late, I wasn't aware of that.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Christina - Yeah I'm definitely going to pick up the Prague map prior to arriving in Prague. I will look into the website that you gave me, thank you for writing that down for me.

I tried to ask my landlord to reserve the AAA taxi for me, and they told me that the AAA is concerned about finding a location to find me at the station. So I might just call them at the station, and wait for like 10-20 mins for the AAA taxi to arrive or just haul them from the station (I'll look for the AAA sign - hopefully it's a visible one). You said the cab ride shouldn't cost more than 250 czk so I figure that if they ask for more than that, I'll just turn it down and move on to another cab that offers lower price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -