Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paella in Madrid - (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paella-in-madrid-787840/)

Flyingaway Jun 2nd, 2009 04:32 PM

Paella in Madrid -

Where's the best place to eat Paella in Madrid? Unfortunately, we won't be going to Valencia....

Revulgo Jun 3rd, 2009 01:49 AM

I recommend these restaurants:
"El Ventorrillo Murciano" at Calle Tres Peces 20
"Los Arroces de Segis" at Calle Infanta Mercedes 109
"Manete" at Calle Doctor Castelo 2

Flyingaway Jun 4th, 2009 03:47 AM

Thank you! Anyone else?
We're leaving for Spain today!

ribeirasacra Jun 4th, 2009 03:56 AM

Go with the suggestions...the poster is very knowledgeable.

Flyingaway Jun 4th, 2009 04:40 AM

Thank you!!

Maribel Jun 4th, 2009 11:12 AM

Here's my list
ditto to Revulgo's top 2

El Ventorrillo Murciano is tops,
but please be aware that their paella is "Murcia style" and not perhaps what you might expect as the "typical paella"-the vegetarian version is delicious.
It's a tiny place, so you really should reserve. Phone: 91 528 83 09

Los Arroces de Segis-ditto, again, paella "Murcia style". closed Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed nights.
Not as handy as VM since it's way up in the northern business district.
(metro: Valdeacederas)
I think their menu is fixed price. They serve a vegetable paella but it also contains pork loin (magro)

www.losarrocesdesegis.es.vg/

La Buganvilla at Almagro 12, handier for tourists, take metro to Alonso Martínez. Paella "Valencia style"

Casa de Valencia on Paseo del Pintor Rosales 58, also handier for those staying downtown. A classic.

St. James on Juan Brava 23 in the posh Salamanca quarter. 30 different types of paella, including vegetarian (called here "arroz de la huerta"). Another classic, and the most elegant surroundings, but also the most expensive.

http://restaurantestjames.com/restau...-bravo-madrid/

Revulgo,
You may know that I really like dining in the Retiro district, so...
I'm going to put Manete at the top of my list for this month. Thanks!
It's just a block away from another favorite of mine, La Montería.

mr_go Jun 4th, 2009 11:26 AM

El Escarpin on Hileros, near the Teatro Real. We also just happened upon this one for dinner one night, several years ago. From the 'raciones' menu, ms_go and I had an excellent paella large enough to feed an entire family...and it was delicious.

Having said that... pay close attention to anything Maribel tells you. She is very knowledgeable, and has excellent taste!

Maribel Jun 4th, 2009 12:23 PM

Why, thank you, indeed, mr. go! ;;)

flyingaway,
If you haven't flown away yet,
typo alert!

St. James is on Juan Bravo 23. There are 2. The newer one, on Núñez de Balboa doesn't get such good reviews as the "classic" flagship.

kleroux Jun 4th, 2009 07:21 PM

What is the difference between "Murcia" style and Valencia style??

josele Jun 5th, 2009 01:16 AM

Sorry to be late for the OP, but I'll add my recomendations (while I'll write down the others!)
St. James, of course, the Juan Bravo one.
Segis too (calle Alcalá).
Sam (calle Carlos Caamaño, Chamartin train station area)

Revulgo Jun 5th, 2009 03:48 AM

kleroux,
Paella "Murcia" style, aka "arroz huertano", has vegetables (green asparagus,cauliflower, green beans, pepper...) instead of seafood.
El Ventorrillo Murciano and Segis also cook "arroz a banda" (rice boiled in fish stock with shrimps and goosefish) and "arroz negro" (black rice) boiled in fish stock with shrimps, small squids and squid ink.
Early paellas were cooked by farm workers in the field with handy ingredients available in that place: snails, garrofo (flat beans), green asparagus, rabbit... but neither fish nor shellfish.
"Samm" at Carlos Caamaño serves excellent paella but is located too far from downtown. If you get there try also its TERRIFIC ensaladilla rusa.

roywp Feb 3rd, 2011 01:26 AM

Hi sorry to dig up this old post. I was also researching on Paella in Madrid and I realized they are EXPENSIVE!

30-40 Euros per person is rather steep, though I understand that it is for a 3-course menu. My question is: would it reflect poorly if I choose to just have a paella and maybe an appetiser when I enter a restaurant?

ekscrunchy Feb 3rd, 2011 02:58 AM

That is probably what many, if not most people would do.

Food prices in Madrid are not inexpensive.

Revulgo Feb 3rd, 2011 05:15 AM

Updating info.
"Manete" is closed down, it is the current wine-bar Arzábal.

amsdon Feb 4th, 2011 04:48 AM

I personally would not pin all my hopes on finding one great paella in Madrid. I would instead try some of the places mentioned in Scrunchy's trip report and the tapas places that abound.

ekscrunchy Feb 4th, 2011 07:37 AM

I agree!

What is the point of looking for paella in Madrid? For one thing the best ones are cooked outdoors over a wood fire. Or so I've read. From what I've been reading, even in the Valencia area you need to get out of the city for the best versions...

tobyo Feb 4th, 2011 09:28 AM

for me, since I'm only going to Malaga and Madrid, I'd really like to find a good place for paella too. We had one paella in Sevilla during our two week trip last May and it was just okay. so am hoping to find a better one while in Madrid next month. This is the place I had read about and am considering trying:

http://www.labarraca.es/

does anyone have an opinion on this restaurant? thanks!

tobyo Feb 4th, 2011 09:31 AM

oh yea, was also considering La Buganvilla too. which one is better I wonder...

amsdon Feb 4th, 2011 07:13 PM

I had a paella at La Barraca. It was good, we were on a feeding frenzy that trip lol. Honestly now in retrospect I would say it was a cute place, a tasty paella but not spectacular. And not cheap... It's hard to compare these when you have had a really good paella or arrozes in the particular way you prefer it. Now If you do not do paella at home or have it alot then La Barraca should be ok, but think you better paella would be in Malaga for sure. Hopefully Josele will see this and come to your rescue with a rec....

Oh Scrunchy yes we are now making them in the back yard completely differently than before, open air, open flame wood preferred but even a weber lettle bbq works, I never really cover it anymore like I used to (a no no ) until the very end when it rests...and I only use bomba rice or forget it...I have been spoiled now. Don is also now quite an experto...and we have gained the lbs to show for it..

tobyo Feb 5th, 2011 04:42 AM

thanks amsdon! I do make my own paella. it's a recipe from a restaurant in Los Angeles and it comes out great every time, tho the last time I made it was for new year's day 2010. I think I have read about places for seafood in Malaga but never even considered paella there, just because it's a smaller city than Madrid. I was thinking I'd have better luck in a bigger city. and who knows? we may even skip the paella idea. not sure yet. but thanks for your comments, appreciate it.