Padua, Italy questions

Apr 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Padua, Italy questions

I'm planning to be staying in Padua for 6 days in July. Most of the hotels I've found in my price range (60&euro are near the Basilica. I plan to do day trips most days via train. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get to the train station from that area? It's about a mile, but if I didn't want to walk it is there a bus? how easy/fast is it?

The two hotels I'm considering are the Al Santo and the Al Fagiano - anyone with any knowledge of them? They get quite good reviews on TA.

I've also found a B&B near near the train station (B&B El Paraiso). Anyone heard of it? What kind of area is that to stay in. Would be convenient for my day trips, but I don't want to be in a sketchy area.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Apr 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM

I find the walk from the basilica to the train station an easy one. One mile is just a 20-minute walk.

Here's a link that mentions many ways to get to the basilica from the train station

http://www.basilicadelsanto.org/ing/...ngere/come.asp

I would not stay right on top of the train station--it's not a bad area but the B&B looks like it's virtually on top of the very busy tracks. For six days, I'd rather be more central to the old center of Padova.
Apr 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM

From the train station, there are buses to/from the Prato delle Valle, which is about a 2 minute walk from the basilica. It's a great location.

I, too, would stay away from the train station area. I don't know if it's particularly seedy at night, it's just ... ugly. And not really close to anything you want to see or do in Padua.
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Ellen thanks for that link. I realize a mile is not far, normally on trips I walk over 10 miles a day. It's just that when you add two miles a day back and forth to the train on top of all those sightseeing miles. I just thought it would be more convenient to be closer to the train since most days I will be leaving Padua. I probably won't end up using the bus but it's nice to know it would be easy if I wanted to.

Holly, I guess you are right about the location. On google map it's kind of hard to tell where exactly the station itself is, but probably that B&B is a little too close.
Apr 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Can you post a link to a website that shows where the b&b is located? I was unable to find such a thing by googling it.

Everything you will want to see in Padua is south of the train station. If the b&b is north of there, I'd definitely rule it out.

There was mention here about 2-3 months ago of a convent type place with a lot of rooms for rent very cheap, just behind the basilica. Have you checked there? I passed by it when I was there a few weeks ago, and it's perfectly located. The basilica/Prato del Valle area is beautiful at night when it's all lit up (and when you're going to be there).
Apr 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM

http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Veneto/.../index.uk.html

If you click on maps, it indicates a location next to the tracks.