Pyrenean Caves: Grotte de Niaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone visited the Pyrenean Caves (Grotte de Niaux) near Tarascon? We're spending 2 nights in Limoux and are thinking about driving to the caves as a day trip. (I'm trying to budget our time wisely, as we only have 6 nights in the region.)
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM

They have very primitive cave paintings.

There are a maximum of 10 daily visits of up to 20 people each, and 45 minutes between each group. A few tours are in English. You have to reserve by phone - +33 (0)5 61 05 10 10

It is useful to visit the Parc de l'Art Préhistorique in Tarascon first. It provides the background information about the caves and paintings in English.

Peter
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, Peter, especially about Tarascon. Have you been on the tour? I read about the caves in the guide books, and am trying to decide if I want to invest one of my 6 precious days in the region. If the last day's choice is between a castle or a cave ... hmm ... what to do, what to do!
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM

I can't really decide what you would prefer !

Read more about them here : http://www.france4families.com/Pyren...CavesNiaux.htm
and
http://www.niaux.net/grotte.htm

Peter
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM

We plan to use a couple days in the area with a visit to the cave as our focal point. There are so few painted caves in the world available for tourists and it won't be long before all are closed off with only reproductions available for tours. Can't wait.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM

We visited these caves over 10 years ago, and at least to us, it was quite a moving experience and one we will never forget. We had the good fortune of having an excellent guide who obviously had her heart in conveying her passion for this fascinating subject. (our tour was in french - no language barrier to us. Not sure if this would affect things or not in terms of all the ancillary info, facts and descriptions)

As mentionned above, the number of persons allowed in is strictly controlled, and the level of carbon dioxide present in the caves is continuously monitored. Should it get to be too high, visits are immediately halted until things get back to normal.

I suppose whether you go or not ultimately boils down to your interests.

Be aware that you must walk using a small flashlight (provided) for a little over 1 km underground in relative darkness and climb over rocks, rubble, etc. in order to reach the "hall". Wear good non-slip footwear. I think they were maybe working on carving out from the mountain side an alternative entry point at the time. Not sure if this would be the one they use now. Perhaps someone who has been more recently could confirm.

BTW, we really enjoyed Limoux, make sure you try their famous Blanquette !
kanadajin
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

@kanadajin - It's now been a year since we visited the caves and, yes, they are something we will never forget. The mother of all storms hit that area the day before we arrived, and we drove from Limoux through snow banks and downed electrical wires to get to our appointed tour on time. The tour was in French (my French is okay, not good, but enough) and, along with brochures and a book we took along, we were well informed. (There was one English speaking tour/day, but the time didn't work for us.) Definitely needed good walking shoes, that you didn't mind getting wet.

And, yes, we not only tried the Blanquette in Limoux, we bought a case and enjoyed a bottle every night for the rest of our trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Oh, BTW, you can make reservations via email, even though everything says you have to call:

[email protected]