Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Packing With TSA Rules In Mind (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/packing-with-tsa-rules-in-mind-316989/)

CeeJay May 14th, 2003 12:58 PM

Packing With TSA Rules In Mind

After performing numerous searches for previous questions re: packing suitcases I'm confident that this question has not been recently posted to this forum. So ...

In light of the new TSA rules for baggage searches what tips can you offer for packing those suitcases?

A friend who recently returned from a business trip suggested packing underwear in a zip-loc bag ... the woman ahead of her having her baggage checked had hers in zip-loc's while my friends Hane's were exposed for all to see.

Any other tips by travelers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TimS May 14th, 2003 01:10 PM

Zip-loc bags in a variety of sizes work very well for organizing your items as well as for avoiding having a TSA employee rummage through everything. If you don't have a small toiletries kit, put those items in a zip-loc. Consolidate small odds and ends in a zip-loc. Use the largest zip-locs (2 gallons) for clothes. An agent can pick up each bag, look at it from all sides, and return it to your suitcase untouched. If you want to spend a little more money on something more durable than zip-locs, buy mesh packing cubes for the same purpose.

Bootman4U May 14th, 2003 01:18 PM

I agre with Tim..we have used both ziplock bags and always take a few extra ones along as well as the Eagle Creek Pack-It cubes to organize everything..and long before the TSA was even thought of. The organization makes such a big difference, especially after you've arrived because you know where everthing is. Once you've done it I think you'll be hooked. But seriously, if some employee wants to look through my underwear..well, who cares?

CarolLA May 14th, 2003 02:36 PM

Having had my bags searched I can tell you that the pack it cubes worked great. Before they did it out of site, the searcher's even thanked me for being so organized.

The best advice though is not to overpack. If packing your luggage is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle with every nook occupied and you sat on the suitcase to close it, you could be in trouble. The TSA does not have that much time to re-pack. I think that is when things get lost, when they don't fit easily back into the bag.

Jean May 14th, 2003 05:15 PM

A humorous tale:

My husband and I are packing opposites. I use ziploc bags and fold things carefully. My philosophy: Hey, wrinkles happen. I'm on vacation.

My husband is the obsessive/compulsive one. He folds and stacks everything like he's in boot camp. You could probably bounce a quarter off his stuff.

Anyway, we both get picked for full inspections last October. One guy opens my bag and paws around and around. Another guy opens my husband's bag and says, "Oh, wow, this looks so nice that I don't want to disturb anything!" He sorta peeks in the corners and runs his hand along the bottom under everything. That's it.

So, I guess my husband's packing tip would be: Make them think you might go ballistic if they wrinkle anything.

walkabout May 14th, 2003 08:53 PM

You may also be interested in the travel tips offered at the TSA website, www.tsatraveltips.us.

icithecat May 14th, 2003 09:04 PM

Good one Jean. I would guess that someone who packs as if they care what they look like when they arrive.............. actually hope to arrive.

CeeJay May 15th, 2003 06:11 AM

Thank you to everyone for responding - I appreciate your insight (and should someone actually do a search for tips on packing they will too!)

walkabout - the TSA website was very helpful ... I tried accessing a web site using TSA as a keyword but somehow missed this one.

Thanks again

Debbie May 15th, 2003 06:35 AM

I use those travel space bags ( easier to use than ziplocs, come in more sizes , and are still waterproof) and they worked great - the security guy in Shannon even commented on how well they work.

If you are using zip ties, be sure to pack a ROUND TIP scissors - you can take these on the plane to cut them off. Also - be sure to take extras.