Reload this Page >

Packing list "extras" - what to take for Venice/Florence

Old Aug 21st, 2016, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Longtime lurker, first time poster...

My wife and I are heading to Italy in just under a month to celebrate our 25th. The itin is Milan for 2 days, Venice for 6 days, Florence for 7 days, and Naples for 3 days. And so, I have spent the better part of the last year pouring through trip reports from Peter, Ann and Ellen, and have thoroughly enjoyed every post, and made many notes (OK, I copied everything into a spreadsheet, I'm a geek...). We even made arrangements for the Venice kayak trip based on one of Peter's posts. We are not planning on doing much cooking, and may try to get to the beach a few times, otherwise normal sightseeing

My question is what to take? Not the clothing part, lots of posts on that, but the other sundries, that we would want, and may not want buy there because of cost or availability. Like a wine key (corkscrew), sunscreen, flashlight?...

What have you taken that was invaluable, and what was a bust? Thoughts?

Dave
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM

Large ziploc plastic bags (for transporting wine or olive oil) and a collapsible light tote for bringing back souvenirs

Double check that you have all electronic gear (chargers) and appropriate adapters

I would say you will be more likely to regret the things you do take (making for heavier luggage) than the things you don't.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 11:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've come to the point in my travel life where the list of things I pack is pretty standard. What has changed most is what I buy and is now reduced to practical things (a bowl, a knife, personal items), likely the sorts of things you're alluding to. They become items I use at home and recall places I've been every time I touch them. I wouldn't worry about not finding items you discover you need. Italians probably need them too and I love my visits to hardware stores, kitchen/home stores, pharmacies as much as anything.

As mama_mia says, leave more at home and I suggest buying little items you find will be useful there.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto on the large ziplocs. I love buying in the markets and they are great for leftovers also. Our charger has two ubs ports which are great for phones, kindles.

I always take a corkscrew/bottle opener.
I have a small led light.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM

I have used all of the following, more or less in order of importance

Extension cord
Flashlight.
Blister prevention and treatment materials
Swiss Army knife
Clothes pins to keep curtains together at night
Plastic spoon
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 12:06 PM

Second the clothes pins, ziplock bags. Also second shopping local shops for sundries/hardware items.

For sunscreen I take a solid roll-on type that doesn't have to be in 3-11 bag.

Hand wipes/hand sanitizer.

Small purse/bag-sized roll of TP or tissue.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 12:41 PM

We like to take lightweight binoculars. They are handy for viewing details inside buildings (stained glass in churches!) as well as in outdoor situations (scenery, sports events).

Ditto the ziplock bags in various sizes.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 01:05 PM

This is just an aside but while you are in Venice try and take a trip over to Giudecca Island. It is just 4 vaparetto stops from St Marks square and is so much quieter than busy Venice with all the cruise ship crowds. Sitting there ( especially in the evening)sipping a glass of wine and looking across at Venice as the sun sets is just too magic for words. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As you're moving around a lot, I suggest investing in some packing cubes. i like to have several sizes - small for undies, medium for tops, large for items like nightwear and any jumpers. They are a great way of organising your luggage; you just take the cube out of your bags and put it straight in the drawer.

As well as a pair of light weight binoculars, it is useful to have a pocketful of small change to pay for illuminating the mosaics - in lots of churches you will find a machine that wants 50c or so to turn the lights on.

Finally, a good guide book to Italy would be useful - I like the green Michelin guides as they are quite thin but very informative.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 02:22 PM

A highlighter! You will collect or be given several paper maps around to get from here to there in every city. Highlighting your hotel location and destination has saved us much time-- the restaurant you're looking for, the shop, the museum, etc. Fodors awarded me a book for nominating this a few years ago and several posters complained but it is essential wherever we go. They come in many sizes and mini's are so handy, and are not easy to find in Venice or in Seville or in Paris or in Interlaken, etc. Hardware stores??? In Venice?? C'mon...... My husband had to buy an adapter in Cordoba and it was not easy finding the source even though we asked several times for help. Those types of stores are not on the tourist streets ever.

Flashlights another necessity, in London once hotel had some small kitchen fire and was without power some hours.

Have a fabulous trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 02:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
aliced: "Hardware stores??? In Venice?? C'mon..."

Does this suggest that you don't believe there are any? Of course there are. The one I'm thinking of is just behind Santi Apostoli church, steps off Strada Nova, a very beaten path. I suggest you step off "the tourists streets" even a little. You never know what you may find.

One of my all-time favorite hardware stores is in Florence, close to the Ponte Vecchio in Oltrarno, near Boboli Garden. Put down the guidebook and see what's there.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM

Take a washcloth in a Ziploc bag. Many European hotels do not include a facecloth with the towels. The Zip is so you can pack it damp.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Up to you but it is your anniversary so if necessary invest in LAUNDRY being DONE for you.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 03:37 PM

Of course there are hardware stores in Venice. On our first trip to Venice that was the first thing we needed as my husband lost the keys to his suitcase somehow. On the other side of the square from our hotel was a hardware store and the owner got a big kick out of digging out a big pair of bolt cutters and cutting the lock off my husband's bag.

I second the facecloth and the Ziploc bags.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM

I always pack flat self stick bubble wrap in my suitcase outer pocket. It takes up no weight and is useful for wine / oil / ceramics.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

All,

Thanks so much for the replies. Electronic adapters I have, and Ziplocks are also part of my normal domestic travel routine (I travel a couple weeks a month in the western US for work). I have no issue getting things like a corkscrew when I arrive, I just wondered what was readily available. And this really came up as a function of whether we are going to check a bag (something I rarely do domestically).

@Southam - wash clothes is surprising, but I will prepare.

@buzzcolin - On the list (man is it a big list)...

@AnnW - The sunscreen stick is also my usual sunscreen method for domestic travel, though I will say the TP suggestion is surprising (I guess I had just assumed that italians also used it (hehe).

As many of you mentioned "light" binoculars, do you mean like opera glasses? I have a pair of binoculars I use for hunting, but they weigh a few pounds, that seems like a lot.

Dave
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 04:21 PM

My binoculars are a particularly compact model no longer available, 6x18, more like opera glasses and perfect for seeing the details on the ceiling of a church.

I always bring my own extremely compact umbrella because it annoyed me to buy one on vacation years ago. I carry this same umbrella in my purse every day at home.

I use Ziploc bags for organizing my suitcase instead of packing cubes, and always pack extra bags in multiple sizes.

My only more unusual must: I bring a compact down travel pillow to emulate my home pillow, which gives me a better chance of sleeping well.

The only "bust": Virtually every time I've added an extra article of clothing to my bag after I finished packing my list, I've never actually worn the extra item.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Italy, charmin to go!! I wish I could bring a pillow. My goose down that packs into a pocket works good for one though.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 04:57 PM

Hi, What an lovely trip idea I can imagine how excited you must be!
I have spent extended stays in europe and I would suggest bringing this list of “ extra items ” and leaving behind anything that would be inexpensive to buy while in Europe.

1. Ziplock bags for clothing compression or packing cubes ( for more packing space )
2. A wall adapter for international outlets
3. A portable charger
4. Guidebook or digital ebook for the sites that you would like to see
1. A translation guide ( depending on how comfortable you are with foreign languages/ the nature of your travel )
5. Photocopies of Important documents ( physical and electronic )
6. Maps
7. Digital camera ( adapters, extra memory cards for photos )
8. A Small day pack
9. A zip pouch for important travel items
10. A water bottle ( flexible ones are great and light )
11. Vitamins, small pack of aspirin etc./ travel toiletries
12. Ear plus - headphones
13. Sleep mask
14. A watch
15. Reading materials or device
16. optional: travel wallet/ money belt

I hope this helps and have a wonderful vacation!!
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 05:07 PM

Binoculars-- we like the Pentax Papilio series. Small, light, and useful for small close things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -