Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Packing liquor in checked baggage. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/packing-liquor-in-checked-baggage-646239/)

ranger60 Sep 13th, 2006 07:13 AM

Packing liquor in checked baggage.

Has anyone ever packed a bottle of liquor in their checked baggage. If so, did you have any problem with leakage or security. I am leaving next week for Egypt and would like to take a liter of scotch that is in a metal canister. Before I would usually pick up a bottle at duty free and put it in my carry on. I like to have a cocktail brfore dinner and liquor, I'm sure, will be hard to find in Egypt. Thanks for any help.

mmtk1010 Sep 13th, 2006 07:17 AM

I carry wine in checked baggage often without any mishaps. Don't know if the metal container would be a problem. I have one of those neoprene bottle carriers I put it in to protect. Then just make sure it's packed in the middle of your suitcase - not near the outside - especially if it's soft-sided. Hey, we've even packed very expensive wine in our golf bags w/out mishap!

ira Sep 13th, 2006 07:21 AM

Hi R,

Despite being a majority Moslem country, you can get liquor in Egypt.

That liquid-filled metal canister in your luggage is going to set off alarms.

If you want to take a bottle with you, I suggest that you leave it in the bottle and wrap it in bubble wrap.

((I))

Dukey Sep 13th, 2006 07:24 AM

I think ira has given good advice both as to what is going to be available in Egypt (at admittedly higher prices than you may be used to) and also to the packing.

But stay tuned as the "rules" may change.

lucy_d Sep 13th, 2006 02:10 PM

I have always packed liquor in my checked bag with no problems. I usually pour it into plastic flasks because it weighs less than a bottle. Now, though, I think I would pack an unopened bottle. As Dukey said, check the new rules.

alan64 Sep 13th, 2006 02:16 PM

Most Scotch bottles that come in canisters have cardboard ones with just a metal top & bottom. I've packed those in my suitcase from duty free, so they were carry-on and not checked. Nowadays that's not an option. I don't think it would be an issue for either Security or leakage/breakage.

There are one or two brands of Scotch (Bruichladdich) that do have all-metal canisters. I'd guess that a checked baggage screener may open your suitcase to check it out, but I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed to pass.

If it were me, I'd just pick up something there as Ira indicates one can do.

ekscrunchy Sep 13th, 2006 02:17 PM

You can certainly drink in Egypt; I know I did! Seriously, why don't you just buy it in duty free? I have packed glass bottles in my luggage, swaddled in bubble wrap. I am not sure if I would recommend this but it worked for me.

laartista Sep 13th, 2006 02:22 PM

I just travelled back with a number of liquor bottles in my checked baggage.I put them in socks and then into my boots. All arrived fine.

suze Sep 13th, 2006 02:24 PM

I often have a bottle of wine. Packed center suitcase and put into a plastic bag.

suze Sep 13th, 2006 02:24 PM

I'd skip the metal canister idea, these days.

cigalechanta Sep 13th, 2006 02:32 PM

skip it, not only for the alarm possibility but drinks do taste differtly when poured from metal or plastic. Why I never serve wine from paper cups. Wrap bottles in your dirty clothes.

lincasanova Sep 13th, 2006 03:08 PM

when i pack the occasional bottle, i do always wrap it in something that will ABSORB the leak if it happens, and then the outer wrap is for waterproofing.

i have sent tins of candies through checked luggage recently, and if they did have to check my bag more thoroughly, i am unaware.

our golf clubs, otoh, were misplaced for two days each trip this summer.

i did find that strange and now will assume that clubs will get held up for very thorough inspection.

MRSB1497 Sep 13th, 2006 03:10 PM

DH and I packed six bottles of wine in each of our checked bags on our Italian holiday last year. I put each bottle into one of DH's white gym socks, and then wrapped a t-shirt or something around it, so there wouldn't be any "clinking".

We also brought six bottles each home in our carry on luggage (oh, the good ol' days)!

It was heavy, and a little nerve-wracking in Customs, but well worth it...

mwatson Sep 14th, 2006 10:15 AM

I think we may give these styrofoam wine shippers a try. http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.a...9&ref=5450 We like to bring back at least one bottle of wine home. We can pack this around our clothes and keep our fingers crossed.

(hope the link works)

nytraveler Sep 14th, 2006 10:22 AM

You may be fine - or you may suffer the fate of my friend's husband. She packed a bottle of Pepto Bismol on a trip to South America - in HIS checked bag. He spent the entire trip wearing bright pink splotched clothes.

(Luckily not such an issue in the Andes as it would have been in London or Paris.)