Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Packing for London for 7 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/packing-for-london-for-7-days-301760/)

ndo6532 Feb 10th, 2008 07:44 AM

Packing for London for 7 days

Hi. I am going to be leaving for London in a little less than a month, and was wondering what packing tips you could offer. Will it be more short-sleeve weather? I have been there three years ago and remember having over-packed, but I can't remember exactly how much I packed. I have heard that rolling clothes is a great space saver. Also, I plan on packing my shampoo and such in my checked-bag so i don't have to fool with such little amounts in a carryon. All input is greatly appreciated!

alanRow Feb 10th, 2008 08:05 AM

<<< Will it be more short-sleeve weather? >>>

Unlikely it will be short sleeve for part of a day let alone a week, mind you last year summer occurred in April which was short sleeve weather.

I'd pack a decent warm jacket & rain gear and put your short sleeve stuff on underneath it just in case - and carry some longer sleeve shirts for evening wear

janisj Feb 10th, 2008 08:15 AM

for just a week - why do you need to check a bag at all? You can fit enough liquids for that short a visit into your 1 qt baggie w/ room to spare. For clothing - just think layers and take a folding umbrella.

A raincoat/jacket, mostly long sleeved tops (though some short sleeves are OK since you can layer them under long sleeved ones), a cardigan, jumper (pullover sweater), and 3 or 4 pair of pants (only 2 or 3 are in the suitcase since you'll wear one outfit on the plane)

All that plus 2 or 3 pair of shoes, accessories, underwear and more will easily fit in a rollaboard suitcase.

bozama Feb 10th, 2008 10:39 AM

For a week a carry on is all you need. I do a carry on for 2 or 3 weeks,,LOL so very very much easier. They have shampoo and cond in London if staying longer then a week . If only a week you can just pack two little shampoos bottles in carryon, as long as they fit in baggie you can bring multiple bottles.

I went to London in March a few years ago,, and I was FREEZING! It rained, it sleeted, and it was windy. We had sun a bit here and there, but it was cold and damp anyways.

I had worn a wool coat, but I hadn't brought a hat or gloves since I rarely needed them at home in March( and I live in Canada, LOL) but I was sorry. I had to buy gloves and I did have a scarf I ended up wearing one day on my head, like a peasant women,, LOL.

You can always stash gloves in your purse and open jacket if weather is nice, but if you don't have them you may miss them.

PS I was there on March 17th, ST Pats day, which I didn't realize till I went in a pub, what fun !!

alanRow Feb 10th, 2008 11:01 AM

What's St Pats day?

bozama Feb 10th, 2008 03:02 PM

St Patricks Day, March 17th, St Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland ,, ( like there were ever any there, LOL ) , mostly a day to drink beer and sing songs!!

ndo6532 Feb 11th, 2008 11:26 AM

I keep hearing everyone say that I only need a carryon, but don't see how that would leave room for souveniers that I purchase and such. How many shirts, pants, etc. would everyone recommend packing?

PatrickLondon Feb 11th, 2008 11:31 AM

How much do you wear in a week at home? Bring that and, for layers, add some T-shirts, something warmer for on top and something rainproof.

carolyn Feb 11th, 2008 01:43 PM

Put a flat duffle bag in the bottom of your suitcase. You can fill it with your clothes and check it through coming home while carrying your souvenirs.

suze Feb 11th, 2008 01:46 PM

Even in your checked luggage, shampoo and all for only 7 days can easily be carried in 2-3 oz travel size containers. No sense taking more than you need for the duration of a trip.

suze Feb 11th, 2008 03:51 PM

male or female? (as far as suggesting a packing list for you)

ndo6532 Feb 11th, 2008 07:24 PM

Female and 22 years old.

dfr4848 Feb 12th, 2008 08:25 AM

My SIL lived in London for 6 years and we would often visit in March during our daughter's spring break. We never enountered warm weather. Either cool and sunny or cold and rainy (often in the same day).

I think it best I not advise a 22 year old female what to pack (!), but as others have said, plan to layer, bring a warm water-proof jacket and folding umbrella.

Travel_Tees Feb 28th, 2008 08:40 AM

The suggestions to layer are very good-I travel with a small packable rain jacket, sweatshirt, soft cotton T-shirts and dark colored knit pants.
There is a packing list on Tour-Talk.com that helps with all the issues of packing--it was very helpful to me when I had to travel for a 3 week trip to Europe. The main thing to remember is "Comfort" (especially shoes)and layering. Have a great trip!
Travel_Tees

nytraveler Feb 28th, 2008 09:58 AM

Most vital are 2 pairs of waterproof walking shoes, a sturdy folding umbrella, waterproof jacket or raincoat and at least a couple of sweaters. March or early April are likely to be way too cold for short sleeves.

suze Feb 28th, 2008 03:55 PM

I don't think March is short sleeves weather quite yet, is it?

People do things different. Myself I HATE rolled up clothes. I pack things folded and flat.

Even if you decide not to carry-on, a single ~22" rolling suitcase is plenty of space regardless.