Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Packing for July/August in France....Iphone???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/packing-for-july-august-in-france-iphone-985552/)

milestogoneedadvice Jul 18th, 2013 07:50 AM

Packing for July/August in France....Iphone????

I have read most if not all of the threads on packing and Iphone information. One last shot at good advice in these areas.

We are packing as light as possible. Googling weather before we leave. Right now the forecast is warm to hot, but doesn't sound miserable. We will be driving France North to South but there isn't a big difference in temps right now.

Dressing casually and comfortable, but following advice I've read about that, in terms of not too casual. We plan to do laundry along the way. We want to take our Iphones as we have apps that we will use there. Some forum notes say that is a bad idea because of theft. I'm hoping that being cautious will make this 'doable'! With that in mind, any recommendations for a must have app for France travel?

Departure is close, so I'm trying to think through loose ends. Someone told us that they locked their bags when they leave them in the hotel. ????

As we will be off on this adventure soon, this list of questions will soon come to an end. Thank you for your help. You've made me laugh, rethink ideas, pushed me to further research, and encouraged me to continue to embrace a sense of wonder and excitement about travel!

toneyks Jul 18th, 2013 08:33 AM

Check out the EuroCheapo.com website. They have some VERY helpful info. That's where I just found info about the app "Cinemacity" which gives you maps of walks to see places where movie scenes have been filmed in Paris.

ParisAmsterdam Jul 18th, 2013 08:39 AM

By all means take your phones. Just don't leave them on a cafe table right at the edge of the sidewalk.

Locking bags is a bit of a joke... check YouTube for videos of how to open locked luggage with a pen... it's so easy it's a joke.

I would bet that France is as safe or safer than where you live so don't get too paranoid. Don't forget... the thousands of Fodorites who are never touched by crime when on holiday never post things like "I WENT TO FRANCE AND MY IPHONE WASN'T STOLEN!" It is only the very few posts reporting stolen phones that attract your attention.

Bon voyage!

kjdaisy21 Jul 18th, 2013 08:39 AM

I am wrapping up an 8-week trip in Europe - 10 days in The Netherlands, Brussels, and Sweden; 3 1/2 weeks in Paris; and the last three weeks in Italy. I've been traveling internationally by myself for over 10 years (as a woman) and remember the days before smart phones but I have to say that my iPhone has enhanced my travels SIGNIFICANTLY.

I have listened to so many awesome (and free) podcasts about the history of Italy and France as well as contemporary issues.

I have saved so much money by downloading audio tour apps or podcasts for different cities and museums as opposed to spending 5 euros at every museum for an audio guide.

Itunes U has some great lectures that you can listen to that give great context for some of the art and architecture that you will be seeing. For free.

Although I have a Kindle loaded up with books I don't have to carry it around with me during the day. I use my Kindle app. So when I'm at a cafe sipping on a Campari spritzer I can just whip out my handy phone and read a few pages (right now I'm reading Venice is a Fish - highly recommended).

I've used the ibooks app to store maps and other PDF files like train and museum tickets I've purchased online but didn't have access to a printer to print them out.

I use an app called TripIt that allows me to store a detailed itinerary of my entire trip and e-mail it to my close family and fiance.

I've used the Instapaper app to store interesting articles about the places I'm going to visit.

I've used the Skype app to talk with my family over the course of almost two months.

I've signed into a cafe's wifi many times, used my phone to create a 10-second videotape of my surroundings, and instantly e-mailed it to my fiance back home in the U.S. who wishes he could have taken the trip with me but couldn't get the time off work. The result is that now I have a collection of awesome 10-second videos from so many different cities. :-)

So yes, bring your iPhone. :-)

I do not use GPS or anything like that because my service is set so that I CANNOT roam internationally. I use apps offline and wifi. Also, I do not stay in hotels. I use Airbnb and therefore stay in people's homes. The worst thing that's ever happened is that this morning my Airbnb host in Padua, Italy accidentally picked up my iPhone instead of his and tried to sign in hahahaha! And like I said, I'm a pretty seasoned traveler plus I've lived and worked in some pretty rough neighborhoods in the states so I'm accustomed to being alert and aware of my surroundings and not once have I felt like "Uh, oh, this dude is about to jack me for my phone!"

Hope this helps and have a nice trip!

KL467 Jul 18th, 2013 08:55 AM

Oh yes, take your iPhone. I have traveled in the past with no cell phone, a regular rented cell phone, and now my iPhone. I use my iPhone for many apps, e-mail, and texting, but I do not use it for a telephone (emergency only).

Not sure where you are visiting in France, but I have the Paris Metro app downloaded. I use the Translate app and the Currency app. There are many apps and podcasts in iTunes with city walks (Paris) and museums (Orsay, Louvre). Many are free. I prefer a podcast over an app because some apps require the iPhone data, which I try to keep to a minimum. Podcasts will also work on a regular iPod, which saves my iPhone battery.

I do not lock my luggage in the hotel room.

Have a great trip!

milestogoneedadvice Jul 18th, 2013 08:56 PM

I should have asked this question a long time ago! It is good to hear your comments on travel. As I said in an earlier thread, Fodors has made me laugh, kept me on track with invaluable information, and encouraged me to keep that sense of wonder and excitement with travel.

I just read about TripIt today. I will check that out. I am also reading about the Postcard apps. They would give the same opportunity that your short videos did. I think that is a great idea!

My nephew just recently used Airnb and loved it!

Thanks again! This is going to be a wonderful adventure! France, wow!

27again Jul 18th, 2013 10:26 PM

I suggest you take a superlightweight but warm jacket in a subdued color or chic one, such as are sold in travel stores. Better yet if it is a bit water resistent.Nothing worse than freezing in a train, on a hill, or along a beach. (It can get cold at night in Cannes, Nice, etc.) I pack very lightly by making sure that every single thing mixes and matches, I sleep in a T and shorts which can double as workout gear, and a lightweight black dress can go into the fanciest of places (if you are female inclined).By all means bring an empty bag -- to carry your goodies home. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy. (BTW you can get your phone unlocked just for the trip... but OUCH for the expense!) I don'tknow if you can get a gophone sim card in france for it or not

ENJOY a croque m. for me!

27x2

Jojojg Jul 20th, 2013 10:56 AM

kjdaisy21 Thank you for the tip on Tripit. My husband and I are doing a one-week trip in Europe, then taking a cruise on the Adriatic on the second week. At first, I was hesitant to give the info to a third party but I decided to try it last night and it's great!

27again, I think your idea about a light jacket is terrific too. Thanks!

HappyTrvlr Jul 20th, 2013 05:04 PM

I have used TripIt for several years, many long trips, and it's so helpful. I love it. Even after you return home and are trying to difure out where youn took a photo, you have a complete itinerary in front of you.
Even if you have to cancel a trip, it's all there. And before I leave, I always forward it to my family members.

benitakaren Jul 21st, 2013 03:38 PM

I took my iphone to France for six weeks and set up international plan before I left. I had to use my phone often. For five iphones, my bill was over $1000. Haven't shown the bill to 71H yet!!!! Be careful how you use your phone.