Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Packing for Ireland & Scotland late July - Early Aug

Old Jul 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the planning is complete and I've been checking the weather, but it's pretty varied!!! How do folks pack ?? Everyone has their shell type waterproof rain jackets already. Do we mostly need fleece and jeans or shorts and tees???? What's the right balance??
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 03:55 PM

Rarely much need for shorts. Long pants, tees and short and long-sleeve shirts plus a light sweater or two. Two pairs of comfy walking shoes, sturdy folding umbrella and tissue weight rain jacket preferably with hood (mine folds up into a small pocket).
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Just returned from Ireland. You need a light rain jacket with a hood...nylon type. Didn't use my sweatshirt or fleece vest. It was much warmer than I thought it would be. Felt good a little brisk in the morning but was never cold. Didn't use umbrella, just popped up the hood when it got rainy and it didn't last long. Highlight was Belfast and the Titantic experience up there. Did both the entire ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula. Don't think you need to do both. Be prepared for a lot of green fields, cliffs and water. People were super friendly, clean,clean country and great pubs.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM

I would take one fleece for Scotland. I can put my raincoat over mine so layer them. I would leave the shorts, maybe a pair of capris or summer dress that you can layer with a sweater. One lightweight scarf. Have fun!
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I usually do take a fleece vest because even on warm days it can be chilly on the water/coast.

I don't take a raincoat in summer - even though it most likely WILL rain at some point. I always (ALWAYS) take a small folding umbrella. Usually take a folding poncho type cover up or very light rain jacket. Otherwise it is layers/layers/layers. T's, blouses, lightweight cotton sweater which can all be layered/un-layered. Good walking shoes.

I never take shorts - though shorts weather is not unheard of but I do take light weight trousers and maybe even capris.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 04:35 AM

Shorts weather in Scotland may be different from the US depending on where you're from. We had an niece who lives in FL and she wanted us to turn the heat on (in May) when the temp got down to 70 at night - even though she was wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt and sweater.

I was just thinking what a nice evening it was (after a hot day) for a walk around the neighborhood and dinner in a sidewalk cafe.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Funny.... We do live in Florida!!! My kids live in shorts, but aren't used of the chilly weather.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Southeastern - which would u recommend? ROK or Dingle?? We plan on only one.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM

The weather is so unpredictable...I've been about 10 times and it goes from gray skies and rain to sunshine! I would definitely bring a shell waterproof jacket and one pair of shorts/ capris plus a combo of short and long sleeve tees and one lightweight sweater. I love the Ring of Kerry depending on where you stay but Dingle to me is much more " special". They dress vary casually in Ireland. You will love it! when are you actually going? Summer is very different than the off season.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

We leave this week!!! Cant wait!!