Packing for a trip to Italy

Apr 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Packing for a trip to Italy

Why to worry what to pack to Italy when is actually shoe and clothes heaven?
Apr 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM

because some people don't want to spend time shopping for clothes and shoes when they are on vacation?
Apr 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Because the exchange rate is crappy?
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I am not a huge shopper, but on our two week trip to Italy our luggage was lost. Rome was our first stop, so my lovely wife and I needed to shop. It was a grat experience, the gals in the shops were very helpful and flirty, we had a great time trying on clothes and shopping. With a little something something in the dressing room.
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM

because the lasts in most Italian-made shoes do not fit my feet. And being very short, I have a hard time buying clothing anywhere in Europe . . . . . .
Apr 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Because I hate to shop for clothes and I have terrible trouble finding shoes that fit. And I imagine I'd have a hard time finding clothes cheaper than I can buy them in the US. Really, I have better things - much better things - to do with my travel time.
Apr 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM

For all of the above reasons, i.e., short, wide feet, limited vacation time..I pack my US favorites and if I see something in Italy I cannot live without, I buy it.

Anna Roz
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM

This may sound obvious but I always pack toilet paper and hand cleaner in my purse.
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Take little size packets of Kleenex--handy if 1) you have a cold (Italian brand named Kleenex is on the Fort Howard tissue side) 2) always useful when there is no toilet paper in public restrooms. I agree with the idea of taking what you think you NEED and saving shopping for pleasure. But don't worry about it. Great inexpensive place to shop with style: French chain ProMod found in a number of Italian cities. My things from there have lasted much longer than their price would have suggested. Also Zara and H and M.

Travelsmith's perfect little black dress is. I had mine taken in so it doesn't fit like Berkeley posthippie. Actually, I have 3: shortsleeve, jewelneck and mockturtleneck. They have served me for more than 10 years.
Apr 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Sur la Table, which is primarily a cookware store, carries these little packets of tiny rolls of toilet tissue that apparently plump up with a few drops of water to be usable TP. Haven't tried it yet...but looks interesting.
Apr 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM

I have a lovely pair of flat black shoes that I bought when I was in Paris in 2006 and some scarves that also bought. While I am a terrible shopper at home, it gives me an enormous thrill to wear these bits and pieces. It creates an instant memory of my holiday and the little streets where I found these precious things. In particular people comment on the shoes and it is such fun to answer the question "where did you get those shoes?" We are going back to Italy and France this year, and while I won't be shopping for clothes, there will be space in my luggage for new shoes and accessories.
Apr 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM

With every euro costing $1.50 and bargains no longer very available except maybe knockoffs in the street markets, I would not plan on buying a wardrobe in Italy. The outlets near Florence are said to be a big disappointment by those who went there. Besides, many of the designer outlets in Italy and the rest of Europe are run the the Naples mob. (See the book, "Gomorrah") I am not interested in helping them earn money.

I can't wear the Italian skinny shoes. And I am somewhat large, so finding clothes to fit is also a problem.

Besides, with all the art and history around you, why would you go shopping? You cannot see the Sistine Chapel or Venice or the David at home. But you can go shopping at home.

(And BTW, going to Las Vegas is not the same as seeing Venice!! Trust me!!)

Search this Thread