Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Packing Dilemma (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/packing-dilemma-736600/)

snowhoney21 Sep 14th, 2007 08:07 PM

Packing Dilemma

We are doing a 7 day bike trip with VBT to Tuscany by the Sea followed by 4 days of touring on our own in Tuscany staying at the agriturismo Terra De Nano.

I know what I need for the biking portion of the trip and the nights the tour has planned. However I need help on what to pack for the Tuscany touring portion of the trip. For day tours Capri pants vs. jean or chinos? (I have been reading that khaki's shout out tourist. Or should I just wear long pants? What would the temperatures be like? We live in sunny, hot, muggy Florida so anything below 80 degrees is deemed cool.

For casual restaurant evenings are nice black pants or good chino pants with nice tops suitable topped of with black leather jacket o.k.?

suze Sep 15th, 2007 09:18 AM

Did I miss it? Did you say what month?

snowhoney21 Sep 17th, 2007 06:56 PM

We are going at the end of September through 1st week in october.

kawh Sep 17th, 2007 07:01 PM

khakis do sort of shout out... depending on where you are going. for instance, i read that if we wanted to fit in with the budapest locals, wear poly or spandex, which was a tiny bit true. when we go to italy, i usually wear black cotton or rayon pants for the evening. now that capris are in style, i'd go with those in case you need to ride in them. this time of year, black will serve you well for dress or day. that would be my choice...sounds like a wonderful trip!
kawh

StCirq Sep 17th, 2007 07:06 PM

No chinos, please. Capris are fine. It will be hot, possibly very hot, that time of year. Not terribly muggy, but hot.I think you'd die in a leather jacket. Better a cotton jacket or nice sweater for that time of year. I was in Umbria last October for 10 days and think I wore a jacket in the evening maybe twice. A light sweater was all I needed, though I did bring a heavy cotton belted jacket that I wore one evening in Rome when there was a hint of a chill.

suze Sep 17th, 2007 08:38 PM

Chinos just aren't the best for traveling, besides being somewhat less than stylish. Jeans are always too heavy imo unless you are traveling in wintertime. Take a pair of black pants, and a pair of capris, with a few nice tops, and a lightweight cardigan or silk knit jacket to top it off if it's cool. Is it really cold enough to bother with a leather jacket? (I don't think so, but I don't know for sure.) If it's cool enough for a leather jacket, definitely skip the capris.

suze Sep 18th, 2007 06:54 AM

I think you need to find out the temperatures, to answer your own questions. I was thinking from a packing or fashion perspective, but you will not need a leather jacket and capris on the same trip... need to figure out which one fits the weather you'll encounter.

You might post about the weather in Tuscany, because that's really more the point then the 'packing dilemma' part.