Reload this Page >

Packing and carrying groceries in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Barbara

Did I read correctly that people are expected to bag their own purchases in Paris? Would it be best to bring our own totes (canvas-types of bags) when we shop? Something like that would be easy enough to pack in a suitcase. We use those here at the farmers markets where I live in the states. We recycle just about everything here. Do they do this in France also?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Shanna

Can't speak for France - although I know I've made grocery purchases, just don't remember - but in Germany I did bag my own in a string bag which a grocer gave me for free (see, lots of people pity the American traveler). I've seen the string bag in other countries and use it myself here in US. Takes up less room than the canvas. Some travel catalogs show how small they are rolled in a ball, but they use less room packed flat. Small stuff can fall out between strings. Then - hoo boy - do you ever feel like a klutzy tourist picking up your groceries. It's interesting that you can't touch the merchandise before you pay for it, but they won't touch it afterward.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Quicksilver

I went grocery shopping at Monoprix last spring and I did not bring my own bags. <BR> <BR>I hope someone else can chime in on this, because I haven't done it, but I thought the advice to bring bags pertained more to shopping at outdoor markets (much like your situation at home, with farmers' markets). Advice, fellow Paris-philes? <BR> <BR>Ciao! <BR> <BR> - Quicksilver -

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Jayelle

My experience has been that grocery stores do provide bags, usually the plastic kind, for your purchases, but you generally will have to bag your items yourself. I recall one grocery store where there was an extra charge for bags, and you had to ask for them.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Betsy

In a grocery store you will find that you often bag your own groceries. They will provide a bag. In small shops they will bag for you and in fact will often get the merchandise for you like in a cheese shop, meat shop and sometimes fruit shop. Watch the others ahead of you in line for the custom. It really depends on the kind of store you are in.Many if not most Parisians shop for food daily at the specialty shops,saving the grocery store for convenience items. So they don't have the huge, full carts that we have here. <BR>For some great food shopping streets, try the Rue Cler in the 7th or Rue Moufftard in the 3rd (or 2nd?) On both you'll find everything you would need and it will be wonderful. The Rue Cler is right by the Eiffel tower on the Ecole Militaire Metro stop on Line 7. <BR>Have fun

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:48 AM
StCirq

Throughout France, when shopping in a supermarket, you are given plastic bags and are expected to bag your own groceries. This can be quite a challenge in certain circustances (large amount of groceries, two small kids, e.g.). This practice does not apply in stores other than grocery stores, in my experience, except for hardware stores.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Barbara

Thanks you all for taking the time to reply. I think a good reminder was to watch what the other people do in the store. . .and hope they're not all first-time visitors and as confused as I!! <BR> <BR>I had the experience of "do not touch!" the merchandise in a cheese store where I grew up in Ohio. I was taken aback and somewhat offended. Here was a glorious assortment of sliced and neatly wrapped blocks of cheese within reach - and I couldn't touch them?? Maybe I will be able to keep my jaw from dropping this time around when it happens in France since now I know that it is customary. Thanks again! <BR> <BR>The mention of groceries dropping through the bag brought back to mind Peter Sellers in a Pink Panther movie trailing sugar(I think) and spaghetti down the street as he made his way home. That's me!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Melissa

Barbara, I did have to bag my own groceries at a couple of stores, especially at Ed, L'Epicier. I think Ed is supposed to be a discount store, thus the need to bag your own. (I walked out with two full armloads of stuff, but paid just $3.50 US for the whole load). I'd bring a canvas bag just in case.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:55 PM
clairobscur

As St-Cirq and other posters said, you're expected to bag your groceries in major stores (supermarkets) but bags are available (They can be free or not). In little groceries, the owner will bag them for you.Same for street markets Usually, you can usually pick the fruits <BR>and vegetables yourself but never the cheese, meat, fish, etc..

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:22 AM
sghosh

I would recommend bringing a string or canvas bag (I prefer string, personally, but either will do). Although French supermarkets normally provide plastic bags nowadays, they are sometimes flimsier than the ones in the U.S., and, in my experience, may break somewhere between the market and your final destination.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:57 AM
janice

Dear Shanna, <BR>There's a logic to the whole who touches what - before you buy something, it belongs to them, and they touch it. After you've paid for it, it's yours, and only you touch it. Not a lack of helpfulness, more a question of respecting other people's property.