Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pack as Fodorites pack - light ! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pack-as-fodorites-pack-light-402936/)

Ziana Feb 24th, 2004 06:28 AM

Pack as Fodorites pack - light !

Honest to goodness I was trying to figure it out on my own. Trust me - I struggled enough ! (I read sites "light packing" - didn't get it).
Just read that for 10 days you only pack 1 22" carryon and I decided to ask if anyone, paleeease, I beg you people, will spend time and give me actual list of clothes that you do take to France on early April for
1 woman and 1 man.
Please, take to consideration that we are meeting people we haven't seen for more then 10 years.

Best regards anf THANK you ALL

Anonymous Feb 24th, 2004 06:37 AM

Including what you wear onto the plane: 2 pairs of pants, 5 tops, one warm layer, good walking shoes, 1 lighter or dressier pair of shoes, 6 days' worth of undies and socks, perhaps something to sleep in. No appliances.

elle Feb 24th, 2004 06:51 AM

I don't pack all that lightly. I read that post and couldn't believe that anyone can live out of a 22" suitcase for 10 days! But I tend to be a bit frivolous.

For our 11-day trip to France last year (city, country, beach, mountains, all sorts of climates and a few business appointments), my husband and I took one huge suitcase between the two of us, then we each had a small carry-on and I had a tote.

For this year's "quickie" (five days)trip to Paris in early April, I think we will just take one rolling carry-on each.

I tend to follow the following method when packing:

--One outfit for the coldest temperature/nastiest weather that I'm likely to encounter

--One outfit for the warmest/nicest weather that I'm likely to encounter

--One killer outfit for evening

I consider this the core; then I add separates and accessories that I can mix and match for all other weather and occasions.

It's hard for me to travel with less than two pairs of shoes. Even for this short trip, I'll probably end up taking at least three pairs.

Ziana Feb 24th, 2004 06:53 AM

I am stunned !
Anonymous,
if this is correct I can fit 3 people into 1 29".
I have to imagine this ...
No appliances means blow drier and stuff ?
Thanks much

janis Feb 24th, 2004 07:02 AM

All of this list would EASILY fit in 21 or 22 inch rollie bag and includes what you wear on the plane - and you would have more than 25 different outfits if you choose coordinating colors for everything:

o Wash Cloth
o Toiletries / Make-up (travel sizes)
o Underwear
o Pajamas and/or light robe
o Slippers or slipper socks
o Socks/trouser socks (2 or 3 pair)
o Blazer or jacket
o 1 dress and/or 1 skirt
o Casual slacks or jeans
o Dressier slacks
o 1 or 2 sweaters/sweatshirts
o 3 to 5 tops
o Flat heeled shoes with good soles
o Walking shoes
o Accessories/scarves
o Umbrella
o Raincoat
o Knit cap or warm scarf
o Gloves
o Camera/film/batteries
o Handbag
o Money Belt/pouch
o Hair Dryer / Curling iron
o Adaptor Plug

For a man the list is very similar with these changes:

o Sport coat
o Casual slacks / jeans
o Dressier slacks
o 1 to 3 sweaters/sweatshirts
o 3 or 4 shirts
o Shoes
o Dress shoes
o Neck tie
o Umbrella
o Rain jacket or Poncho/windbreaker
o Hat or Knit cap

Of course there are lots of adaptations/changes you could make, but these lists should get you started.

bettyk Feb 24th, 2004 07:15 AM

Agree with Janis. Her list pretty much mirrors mine. We did this for a 2+ week to Europe and intend to do it again in May for our trip to England and Scotland. Because of the possibility of colder weather in Scotland, I plan on packing my silk long underwear bottoms. They take up almost no room in my suitcase. I also pack a small to medium size nylon duffel bag just in case I need the extra space on the return trip.

Scribbler Feb 24th, 2004 07:42 AM

Here's my list for 2 weeks in March/April, starting in Rome and ending in Paris (it includes what I'll wear on the plane).
The key for me is paring it down to 2 colors that mix/match & never take anything that needs ironing or drycleaning - knits in black and dark gray work very well. And I will be finding a laundry at least once.
I cope with weather with layers - a hat and lined leather gloves make all the difference. A black shawl I carry has been the most all around useful item. It can cover my head for discreet church attire, or I can tie it onto the small backpack I wear (just big enough for a bottle of water and guidebook) if it warms up.
I take a 22" carry on and a very small overnight bag, the size of a small tote, that slips over the handle of the carryon.

1 dressy jacket-black velvet
3 pair long pants
1 long skirt
4-6 shirts
2 sweaters (black mohair, black cardigan)
raincoat - london fog with zipper lining
black pashmini, gray check muffler
umbrella
6+ pr socks, 6+ underwear
2 bras .
2 pr long (lightweight) underwear
blue l/s sleep tee, fleece pants
2 pr gloves
2 soft knitted caps
1 pair lace up shoes- (ecco black suede)
1 pair flats

beachbum Feb 24th, 2004 07:46 AM

So really, do you wear the same pair of casual slacks every day? I'd think that, unless washed, they'd be standing on their own by the end of a week.

janis Feb 24th, 2004 07:51 AM

no you don't wear the same garment every day (top or slacks)

In my list the "dressier" pants are not velvet or anything. Just a solid color in a fabric that would look just as good in the day time or at night.

With one pair of slacks on me on the plane, two in my suitcase, plus a skirt (which I wear almost as often as the slacks) I have 4 "bottoms". Combime them with the 4 to 8 tops and you have a TON of different options . . . . . .

mamc Feb 24th, 2004 07:54 AM

We travel to Europe about once a year and always take nothing more than a 22" roller and a small carryon per person. We usually travel between May and October when it is easier as you don't need heavy coats and layers. However, I went for a week to London on business in December and easily fit everything into a 22" bag. I take (or wear) 3 pairs of jeans or casual slacks, a pair of dressy slacks and a skirt and most of the things suggested by Janis except for the hairdryer. There is usually a hairdryer in our hotel(s). Pack very light - you will thank yourself each day!

JoeG Feb 24th, 2004 07:59 AM

If you use the ziploc bags and the larger sweater bags you could easily fit everything in a 26" suitcase. If you have not used these before it's almost like finding religion!
JoeG

Robert_Brandywine Feb 24th, 2004 08:32 AM

I don't get it. Why pack light? It isn't a virtue as far as I know. The airlines are very liberal in their allowance per person and I see no reason not to take advantage of that.

Katiebug Feb 24th, 2004 08:52 AM

OK, you're all talking about Ziana's original inquiry of 10 days. We're (my husband and me) going for 21 days. Would you increase the size of your luggage? Do laundry more?

Merilee_Tucker Feb 24th, 2004 08:53 AM

Id like to suggest that you choose your wardrobe from one color scheme and then mix and match your pieces so you can dress them up or dress them down with accessories such as scarves, pins, necklaces, belts, etc. Costume jewelry by the way. Bring a very comfortable pair of stylish walking shoes that you can wear with slacks or a skirt. I also pack a pair of heels for a special night out. But, again I keep the colors to one scheme.

Marilyn Feb 24th, 2004 08:54 AM

You pack light so you can move around without assistance, e.g., get your suitcase onto a train, carry your suitcase up and down a flight of stairs (often necessary to get to the train platform), etc. You are right that if you are going to one hotel and staying for the duration there is no reason to pack light. But if you are moving around there sure is.

I think the most common mistake first-time travelers to Europe make is taking too large and heavy a suitcase. They simply do not realize that they are going to have to carry it a bit and there won't be anyone to help them. I did this on my first trip at the age of 19 (oh so many years ago!) and I promise you people are still doing it today. But of course you only make that mistake once! Still it can make you miserable for a good part of your trip.

Marilyn Feb 24th, 2004 08:59 AM

Katiebug, I take the same size suitcase for 1 week or 1 month. I think you will find most frequent travelers have come down to that. Yes, you will need to do laundry 1 or 2 times in 3 weeks. It's a good opportunity for some "down" time -- write postcards, catch up on your journal, whatever. I wash many things by hand as needed -- I have some great clothing that will dry overnight and doesn't need ironing.

kaudrey Feb 24th, 2004 09:13 AM

Hi Ziana,

I just spent 14 days in Spain - returned 3 days ago. I brought a 21" roller, a small backpack, and a smallish purse. I didn't have to check luggage on the way over. This is everything I brought (including what I wore on the plane).

Clothes:

2 pairs of jeans - one blue, one black
1 pair of black slacks
1 pair of khaki-colored pants
5 shirts and 1 t-shirt
1 medium-heavy coat
A pair of boxers and a tank top to sleep in
5 pairs of socks and underwear
1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of black walking shoes

Other:

A small bag of toiletries - no hairdryer
2 cameras - a regular and digital, both pretty small
7 rolls of film
Charger for my digital camera's batteries
An adapter and converter, so I could charge the batteries
A small journal
My Fodor's guide
My folder of information - hotels, airline info, notes, maps, etc.
Money belt
A small cloth bag in case I bought stuff and needed another bag

This stuff easily fit in the 21" roller and the backpack, and my purse fit in the backpack also if I needed it to.

Hope this helps.

Karen

CarolJean Feb 24th, 2004 09:14 AM

I agree with Marilyn! One week or one month, it doesn't matter. Read Scribbler's and janis' posts and use them as guidelines. Lay it all out, try things on, make sure they mix and match and are comfortable. Leave them out , go back another day. This will get you the right combinations that you will be comfortable in and look and feel the way you want. As Marilyn and others have said, there is no way to keep from schlepping that bag (unless you take one of us to carry it.) Don't forget your wash cloth, if you want one and a small flashlight (also some ziplock bags.) Have a great time. CJ

robbiegirl Feb 24th, 2004 09:24 AM

I purchased the travelpro Crew 4 22' expandable.

Now decisions are what to use for going out during the day.

In Rome we will be out all day. 3 nights in Rome. In Florence we will be there for 4 nights but plan on a day trip or two around tuscany..still not sure where or what maybe Fiesole or Siena.
Venice will be 3 nights. I like to carry the usual things every other woman does. Small amt of makeup, water bottle,map,journal,digital camera.

allisonm Feb 24th, 2004 09:48 AM

I don?t see ANY way I could have taken a 22 inch bag for our 6 nights. I had three pairs of dockers, rolled up, 3 sweaters, 2 lightweight sweaters, a couple of turtlenecks, pjs, long john bottoms (which I wish I had worn one night when I got seriously chapped from the Dockers!), nice slacks and top, raincoat, cosmetics, socks and undies for one week, 3 shoes. (The only ones I didn?t wear were the dressy slip-ons.) Everything I packed could go with everything else. My toiletry bag is about 14 x 8 x 4 so takes up a bit of space. If you don?t take one, what do you use to keep all the stuff together? (Contains mostly a small makeup bag, travel size shampoo/conditioner, comb and brush, toothbrush and paste, lotions etc?) *****uh oh, I know, a ziplock bag!**** I fit in a light raincoat in case it was warm and my heavier microfiber coat would be too heavy. (Didn?t need it.) It all fit in a 26 inch duffel. My husband had one as well, although he had a lot of extra room for bringing home the unbreakable things we purchased. (We had thrown in a small canvas bag for bringing home our booty but didn?t end up buying enough to use it.) We each had a small carryon; mine held two small cameras and a fleece I tossed in at the last minute (and didn?t wear), while his had the guidebooks and notes that we brought along. We had room in the carryons to bring home the wine and other breakables we bought (and wrapped in bubblewrap).

Our family of 4 went to Ireland one summer, and all four of us lived out of the same two duffels, but it was easier with shorts and tshirts mostly. Maybe I am traveling at the wrong time of year???