Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pablo Casals train from Zurich to Barcelona

Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:39 AM
Mary

I am planning a trip in March from Zurich to Barcelona and was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Pablo Casals train and its "Gran Clase" sleeping car? What is the price and does it run all year round? Or anything else about it.
Thank you

Jan 22nd, 2000, 10:31 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 81 has your train. Until 27 May it leaves Zurich at 1953, but only on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. It has first and second class sleepers, reclining first class seats, and a restaurant. I think that like most hotel trains it has some campartments with their own shower and toilet en suite: otherwise these are at the ends of the corridor. It reaches Barcelona at 0900. From Geneva at 2329 to the Pyrenees about 0645 it runs nonstop and at a steady and high speed, on welded rails, so you sleep well. I've not used this train, but a similar Talgo night hotel train from Barcelona to Seville was very good.

I see that in 1999 it ran daily from 22 June to 13 September, but have nothing to tell me whether it will do so again in high summer of 2000.

The basic second class single one way fare is 128 US dollars, but use of the cheapest sleepers in this hotel train may well raise this to about 180 dollars. Reclining seats are a frost, as you know from air travel: you need a bed.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London