Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Oyster v. Travelcard: Solo Traveler staying in Richmond/Visiting London
Notices

Oyster v. Travelcard: Solo Traveler staying in Richmond/Visiting London

May 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Oyster v. Travelcard: Solo Traveler staying in Richmond/Visiting London

Hi - I'm going to be visiting London for 7 days. I'm staying with a friend in Richmond. I'll be in and out of London on most of those days, as well as planning a day trip or two, (probably Leeds Castle and/or Bath). Even with all my research, I'm still confused as to which card would be better for me to purchase. Is a PAYG Oystercard enough or should I spring for the Travelcard? I'm guessing the freedom of a 7-Day Travelcard might be best? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
May 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM

It isn't Oystercard vs Travelcard.

Oystercard is a wallet, it holds the means for paying for travel in London.

You can put cash to pay for each journey (PAYG) or a season ticket (Travelcard) to cover transport over a period of time. You can put both on it as well

After about 4 days, a 7 day or longer Travelcard works out cheaper for most tourists.

In your case I would suggest a 7 day zone 1-4 Travelcard (Richmond is in zone 4) plus some additional cash to cover travel outside of those zones (eg to Heathrow, Hampton Court Palace).

Bearsted (nearest station to Leeds Castle) would be around 2 hours each way by train - and frankly Leeds Castle isn't the greatest of castle. Bath would be nearer 3 hours each way. Both would require you to pay separately for tickets - in the case of Bath you can save money by booking several weeks in advance

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...rrow/2115/last
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...t#-OutwardJump
May 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much dotheboyshall! You're confirming exactly what I suspected. One more quick question, since you don't think Leeds is that great, is there another castle would you recommend? If at all possible, I would love to stop in on a castle on my way out to Stonehenge. (I may skip Bath at this point.) Thanks again!!

Search this Thread