What to add to our Italy itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 open days in the middle of our Italy itinerary and are looking for some ideas. This is what we have so far:
Sunday afternoon-arrive in Rome-train to Naples. spent night in naples
Monday- Capri
Tuesday Capri
Wednesday Capri
Thursday-open
Friday-open
Saturday Rome
Sunday Rome
Monday Rome
Tuesday Rome
Wednesday-leave Rome am

We've thought about adding time in Naples and touring Pompeii and seeing the archeological museum, adding time in Rome, going to Bracciano or just finding a charming small town that doesn't require too much travel. We prefer not to be constantly packing, unpacking and traveling.
Any ideas?
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Unless you're serious loungers, you're spending more time than you need in Capri. Why not spend a little time on the Amalfi Coast/Sorrentine Peninsula? Pompeii is well worth a visit. What do you plan on doing in Naples for a night?
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I would take a ferry down the Amalfi Coast to at least see Positano which, IMHO is prettier than Capri. You could also go to Amalfi and on to Ravello for lunch. Besides Pompeii, there is Herculaneum, which is smaller but has more complete buildings than Pompeii. Further afield would be Paestum. So, I would stay somewhere else on the AC and do a bit more sight seeing.
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Capri is beautiful, but that is a long time to spend there, as others have mentioned. Naples could be your base of operation, giving you easy trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum (Ercolano), and Sorrento for a drive or ride down the Amalfi Coast (Costiera Amalfitana. You may even want to take a trek up Vesuvius. In your shoes I would do Capri (since that seems your objective), ferry to Sorrento for a stroll and drive/ride to Positano, and back to Capri for the night. Then on to Rome. The entire area is spectacular. That gives you one place to stay, and multiple areas to visit. Enjoy, it is my favorite are of Italy.
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:07 AM

IMHO Pompeii should not be missed by anyone and are you planning on seeing the towns on the AC by boat in the days you're staying in Capri. Otherwise 're limiting yourself to one very small island.
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year is this trip?

Another day-trip option from Naples is the palace and gardens at Caserta.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

We are leaving the US August 31, so the trip will be at the very beginning of September.
I've been to the Amalfi Coast before(stayed in Positano)and we had several friend tell they prefer Capri to the AC recently. 3 days does no seem long to me at all-we had actually considered more!

I have also toured Pompeii, but it was about 15 years ago and my husband hasn't been. We will definitely go to the Archaeological Museum in Naples and probably Pompeii. We had not considered staying in Naples those 2 nights we need to fill, but it is a good idea. There are so many different day trips we could do from there it gives us some flexibility.
I would be fine spending as much time as possible in Rome too, so adding on time there is always an option.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:30 AM

We are among those who prefer Capri to the AC. I don't think 3 days is too long at all. You could also stay in either Naples or Sorrento for 2 days to visit Pompeii and the Archeological Museum in Naples.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely spend those extra nights either in Sorrento or Naples - and as you are planning to see the NAM then it would make sense to make it Naples, though it's a shame to break up your stay there. It would make more sense to have your three nights in Naples all in one block, especially as you say you dislike constantly moving around.
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Our first night in Naples is just a break in travel-we are flying into Rome in the early evening, taking the train to Naples and then taking the first ferry to Capri in the morning.

We are trying to decide between Naples or Sorrento. I guess they are equally close to Pompeii, but in Naples we would have the museum and in Sorrento we could explore the Amalfi Coast a bit.