Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oxford or Cambridge (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oxford-or-cambridge-49914/)

Janna Aug 2nd, 1999 09:16 AM

Oxford or Cambridge

I will be in London on business in mid-August and am considering a weekend trip to Oxford or Cambridge. Does anyone have a preference? I would also appreciate any B&B suggestions for one or the other.

elvira Aug 2nd, 1999 09:40 AM

We liked Oxford (not been to Cambridge yet, so I can't say it's better) because of the Asholean Museum (great ancient stuff and STRADIVARIUS and AMATI violins!). Anyway, Inspector Morse hangs out there....good pubs, interesting streets, a store that had all sorts of paints and brushes and pens and inks. We did it as a day trip from London, so I can't help with a B&B.

HENRY Aug 2nd, 1999 10:25 AM

Janna,I think both are well worth a vist.Cambridge however would be my preference.I think it is more scenic.You can try punting on the river Cam.Also check out the back room of a pub called the Eagle.The tourist office does an excellent walking tour with a local guide.Enjoy.

Sheila Aug 2nd, 1999 10:54 AM

This is another of those "light blue touchpaper, then retire question" but my vote would be for Cambridge. <BR> <BR>Smaller, prettier, less of a city, so easier to see the colleges in amongst the normal city stuff. Nicer river, river has a better setting, less metropolitan. <BR> <BR>Always stayed with friends so don't have a recommendation for B&B; sorry

Roger Aug 2nd, 1999 11:12 AM

I have been to both and my vote is for Oxford. Can't explain why but we enjoyed Oxford a lot and felt dissapointed with Cambridge. <BR>

kam Aug 2nd, 1999 04:06 PM

Been to both, son studied at Oxford, but we prefer Cambridge for all of the above reasons. Stayed at the Univesity Arms, an old hotel, well located near Parker's Piece. Not a B&B however. I'm sure you'll find a nice one. Do take the guided walking tour at least to get an overview of the town and various colleges.

karie Aug 2nd, 1999 07:28 PM

Cambridge.

Ron Aug 2nd, 1999 07:46 PM

I have stayed at the Green Gables, 326 Abingdon Road, Oxford and would recommend it: <BR> <BR>http://www.milford.co.uk/england/accom/h-l-3322.html

Marc McClure May 6th, 2000 02:47 PM

Cambridge, definately but I am biased. I studied at the University for a year last year, and loved it. When I went to Oxford I found it full of traffic and dirty, but other than that it was nice. <BR> <BR>In Cambridge we had a saying that I think works well... "Oxford is a city with a college in it, and Cambridge is a college with a city in it." Basically it just means that Oxford is larger and more of a city than smaller Cambridge, where the college is the central focus. There are tons of B&Bs. Try the Warkworth House on the opposite side of Parker's Piece on Warkworth Street (run by Mrs. Collins, a wonderful woman) Down the street is the El Shaddai another great B&B. Finally there is the Cricketer Pub, kitty corner to Warkworth street, where they house people up above the pub. They are all wonderful, real down to earth Cambridge places.

Maribel May 6th, 2000 05:41 PM

Haven't been to Oxford but Cambridge was a delight-punting down the river Cam in early June when the end of yr. parties were being held and watching the revelry on the college lawns, a great experience. Small and unhurried-ever so walkable, loved it.

Elsa May 8th, 2000 05:28 PM

I've been to both and my vote goes to Cambridge.

Beth Y May 8th, 2000 06:30 PM

I vote Cambridge, for all the above reasons and another....Kings College Chapel. It is incredibly beautiful. Don't miss it. And there is an incredible Ruebens in the chapel too.

john boots May 9th, 2000 12:33 AM

Cambridge, hands down. The ceiling of the chapel Kings College Cambridge is arguable the most beautiful in the world, with its delicate fan vaulting. If there were only one thing I could see on a trip to the UK that one ceiling would be worth the trip. <BR>