Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oxford or Cambridge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oxford-or-cambridge-1025773/)

LotsaPasta Sep 17th, 2014 04:54 PM

Oxford or Cambridge?

Hello! I have four days in London at the end of November (Friday through Monday). But I've been to London many times and was thinking of hopping the train to either Oxford or Cambridge for a different experience. I've read some on both towns and they seem a bit similar (and fantastic) to me. Is there a clear winner here? I am interested in seeing the university, walking the campus and getting into some of the beautiful campus buildings, if it is allowed. I also want to wander some bookstores and see where the Inklings hung out, if Oxford.

Also, how many days for this? I'll be traveling alone, so this always seem to accelerate my schedule (no lingering conversations over a beer with my traveling companion). Spending all four days in one or the other seems like a lot, but maybe I am wrong. I will have no trouble having fun in London. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

nytraveler Sep 17th, 2014 05:40 PM

OK - there is no "campus". Each of the many colleges in each city has it's own grounds. And what you can see when varies by college and time of year.

I would do Oxford since I love the Ashmolean - but I think you need to do a lot of reading before deciding - and figure out what you want to see and when it will be available.

LotsaPasta Sep 17th, 2014 05:44 PM

I understand about the campus. I have done a lot of reading. Interested in opinions. Appreciate yours.

IMDonehere Sep 17th, 2014 07:13 PM

I think either one would further your academic ambitions.

flanneruk Sep 17th, 2014 07:29 PM

The two cities are almost interchangeable as far as old buildings and accessibility from London are concerned. Cambridge has the single most stunning building (King's chapel, though personally I think visitors are foolish to ignore Hawksmoor's All Souls main quad at Oxford: Oxford's Radcliffe Square and Cambridge's Backs are about square as the outstanding single group of buildings

Oxford's the centre of a substantial and thriving regional economy more or less in the middle of England: Cambridge is much more an isolated city in a rather gloomier region. Some visitors find Oxford's consequent bustle overpowering by comparison to Cambridge.

Apart from the crucial difference between them (they punt from the wrong end at Cambridge), Cambridge for most of the past 800 years has had the better academic and research record (well for the past 500 anyway: it's got no Duns Scotus, Roger Bacon or Merton Mathematicians to boast about in its first few hundred years.) But Oxford's won hands down on what people go to university for. From canonised alumni to Viceroys of India to Prime Ministers to US Presidents to TV series about it, Oxford' impact on public and popular culture is by far the greater, so most visitors find lots more to dig into: Inklings, for example, Harry Potter or Morse film sets, or Newmaniana.

A day's sufficient. Oxford has the richer night life: trains return till about midnight, and return buses run through the night. Check for your day closer to the day at http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/whatson/

LotsaPasta Sep 17th, 2014 08:22 PM

Thank you, Flanner. Your point about popular culture is a good one. I've never seen a Potter movie, but I like CS Lewis and Tolkien, so that interests me in favor of Oxford/Inklings -- and Inspector Morse as well. A good friend of mine is a Cambridge alum and just does not consider my point of view. I may have to disappoint him. If a day is enough, I may just spend all my time in London and sprinkle a few day trips in. I've wanted to get out to Leeds Castle, which didn't seem to make sense directionally before. Maybe now. Again, thanks, Flanner. Appreciate the thoughts.

thursdaysd Sep 17th, 2014 09:14 PM

You could easily do day trips to both, although you could easily spend more time. And if you'd like to actually stay in one of the colleges, take a look at http://www.universityrooms.com/en/countries/gb (just check that the building is old if that's what you want).

Underhill Sep 17th, 2014 09:30 PM

We preferred Cambridge, a bit more romantic than Oxford. And especially because the Wren Library has the original Winnie the Pooh manuscript. Also, from Cambridge you can easily visit the "lantern" church at Ely.

kja Sep 17th, 2014 09:44 PM

flanneruk wrote, "A day's sufficient." I hate to disagree with an expert, but I thought two or three very full days barely sufficient to cover the highlights of Oxford. I haven't made it to Cambridge yet.

emilyfrew Sep 18th, 2014 12:52 AM

Since you've already researched about Oxford and Cambridge, I'd recommend you visit both the campus.

MissPrism Sep 18th, 2014 12:55 AM

Another one for Cambridge. It has less of a city feel than Oxford and as somebody has said, it's handy for Ely. That said, you can't go wrong with either

andrewsmith03 Sep 18th, 2014 01:20 AM

Cambridge all the way

hetismij2 Sep 18th, 2014 02:54 AM

Another vote for Cambridge. You could also get the bus to Ely for the cathedral and a wander around the town.
I used to live near Oxford and only visited Cambridge last year. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
We stayed at the Jolly Brewers in Milton, a lovely pub with friendly locals, good food and great rooms. It is on the bus route from Cambridge to Ely.

isabel Sep 18th, 2014 03:12 AM

You really can't go wrong but I'll vote for Oxford. In either case be sure you wander out 'back' behind the river(s) for interesting views and a different feel.

Here's my photos of both: www.pbase.com/annforcier/oxford_and_cambridge

If you do choose Oxford it's a bit easier to get there on the bus from London. It's called the "Oxford Tube" (obviously not to be confused with London's metro which is the Tube). It leaves from a couple of places in London including outside Victoria Station and is I believe faster and less expensive than the train. For Cambridge the train is easiest.

Mimar Sep 18th, 2014 06:11 AM

In high summer I'd pick Cambridge, but in November I'd pick Oxford; it has more to do indoors if the weather's bad and also with the shorter days. We spent the good part of a day at the Ashmolean Museum. You do understand you have to pay to visit the colleges and they're only open certain times.

tarquin Sep 18th, 2014 10:08 AM

I would say the Fitzwilliam trumps the Ashmolean any day, especially now the Ashmolean has had the simplistic school makeover.

LotsaPasta Sep 18th, 2014 10:39 AM

My. Maybe I should go to both and Ely. Too much or really enjoyable? I really do like just eandering around looking for photo ops, so maybe this is a decent plan. I could join some walking tours.

janisj Sep 18th, 2014 01:35 PM

Both are terrific. You could do both and skip Leeds Castle. (I'd skip Leeds Castle in any case)

The castle itself is no great shakes -- its main claim to fame are the pretty gardens/grounds and in late November they'd be dreary.

If you only do one of the cities -- make it Oxford at that time of year for sure. And especially w/ your interest in the literary connections. Cambridgeshire can be bleak in winter.