Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oxford England Accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oxford-england-accommodations-1151880/)

yestravel Nov 15th, 2016 08:46 AM

Oxford England Accommodations

We will be in Oxford for 3 nights in the spring. Anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay? We prefer smaller hotels or even BnB's and want to be in a central location that allows us to walk most places. I've seen mostly large hotels and bnb's with shared bath which we do not want. I'd like to keep the rate no higher than £180 ($225 ) if possible Any suggestions? thanks!

Ackislander Nov 15th, 2016 12:18 PM

Price

You may have to settle for two out of three. But I bet you can find a reasonable compromise, especially if it is at a time when there are not lots of events going on.

MmePerdu Nov 15th, 2016 12:52 PM

I always stay at The Buttery Hotel, on Broad St, right in the center and, I think, fulfills all your criteria: http://www.thebutteryhotel.co.uk/

yestravel Nov 15th, 2016 03:16 PM

Thank you MmePerdu -- the Buttery does indeed look like it fits. I will check into them.

kja Nov 15th, 2016 04:52 PM

Many years ago, I stayed at the Eastgate and thought the location excellent for my purposes. I can't speak to its current rates or quality, though.

i_am_kane Nov 15th, 2016 06:44 PM

Remont Inn. I copied this from their website: Set on the main street of north Oxford's Summertown, this ultra-hip B&B is 3 blocks from the A40 and 2.1 miles from the city centre.

Colourful, contemporary rooms feature free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, desks and modern en suite bathrooms, plus tea and coffeemaking facilities, and biscuits. Upgraded rooms add sofabeds and additional space.

Complimentary full English or continental breakfast is provided. Amenities include 2 lounge areas, a garden terrace, free off-street parking and a cycle rack, plus laundry service.
Address: 367 Banbury Rd, Oxford OX2 7PL, UK

We stayed there four nights while visiting our GD at Oxford University in 2014. We had no problem with the location since it is on a main bus route from the center. The room was comfortable and spotless. The breakfast room was clean and bright with lots of natural light. Remont Inn had Internet service. The price wasn't especialy high. The staff was friendly. Can't complain. Would go back, if we had an opportunity to visit again.

flanneruk Nov 15th, 2016 08:41 PM

The brief is to find somewhere "that allows us to walk most places".

OX2 7PL is over a mile north of Summertown, and 2.4 miles north of the conventional definition of central Oxford, whatever lies the Remont website thinks it can get away with. Few Americans are used to routinely walking ten miles a day just to get between their lodging and where proper sightseeing walks start.

The brief is almost impossible to meet: hotel rooms in the centre of Oxford are roughly the same price as rooms in central London - and typically even pokier.

There are a handful of adequate hotels along the Banbury and Woodstock Roads (which may include the Remont, though the untruths it peddles hardly inspire confidence) leading north out of Oxford, and really requiring buses to get to and from the centre. The city is seriously over-provided with buses between about 6 am and midnight, and most of these locations are perfectly pleasant - if boring - walks outside normal bus hours.

One alternative is college rooms, mainly from http://www.universityrooms.com/ though a couple of colleges now offer B&B out of term time directly (google Oxford college rooms). The rooms typically are relatively recent (post WW2) extensions, usually with their own microbathroom, often in or adjacent to medieval quadrangles. Though rates per head are low, most are single rooms - but booking two still usually comes below your £180 per couple budget. Oxford terms are extraordinarily short, so college rooms might be available at times you'd expect studying to be going on.

Be very wary indeed about any other B&B with an OX1 postcode meeting your budget brief. There are cheap lodgings in central Oxford: few are worth anybody's money.

shellio Nov 15th, 2016 10:18 PM

We loved the Old Bank Hotel which just might have some rooms in your price range depending on the time of year. Central, central, central and offers free walking tours. I'd go back in a minute.

http://www.oldbank-hotel.co.uk/

Jennifer_Travels Nov 16th, 2016 06:55 AM

I've stayed at the Buttery a couple of times. Its location is perfect as it really is within walking distance of all the sites in central Oxford. Also, if you happen to be arriving by bus from London, it's about 3 blocks from the bus station. If you watch Inspector Lewis on tv, you'll recognize the outdoor seating of the cafe attached to the Buttery as its been featured in several episodes.

I've found the people working there to be very pleasant and helpful. I always ask them to take my luggage up and down the steep stairs to the lobby which is on the first floor (2nd floor US.) There are also short sets stairs along the hallways to the rooms.

The Old Bank Hotel was also on our list, but was already full by the time we were looking for rooms. I'd recommend booking soon!

MmePerdu Nov 16th, 2016 08:14 AM

"Also, if you happen to be arriving by bus from London,..."

I almost always arrive in Oxford by train and the station is just a bit farther. Assuming you don't have mountains of luggage, The Buttery is an easy walk from both coach & train, even for those of us past our prime.

historytraveler Nov 16th, 2016 08:30 AM

On the other hand, I always take the bus. The bus has more possible pick up points in London and it is a shorter, easier walk to Oxford Centre much appreciated if it's raining. There has been some messy construction near the train station but perhaps they have that sorted out by now.

MmePerdu Nov 16th, 2016 08:37 AM

The bus is cheaper, to be sure, but I love everything about the train, including Paddington Station. Both are close to the center in Oxford. And buying advance tickets can make the train very affordable.

bilboburgler Nov 16th, 2016 09:33 AM

north of summer town is a bit too far for what you want unless you are hiring bikes too, or using the buses.

I used universityrooms two months ago and was pleasantly surprised, not startled but there is something to staying in halls.

yestravel Nov 16th, 2016 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I will check out the suggestions.

Shellio - had already checked the Bank and it looked lovely, but pricey for our dates beginning at GBP 274.00 / Night ($300)

We will be arriving at Heathrow and our plan is to take the express bus to Oxford.

flanneruk Nov 16th, 2016 02:13 PM

"There has been some messy construction near the train station but perhaps they have that sorted out by now."

Hmmm....

The current status is that "they" decide, roughly once a month, that public protests about the poor design of the road system close to the station (currently shorthanded as Frideswide Square) can't be ignored any longer, so bits get rebuilt. Also roughly once a month.

This is clearly mad. It doesn't help that the construction isn't the city's responsibility: it's down to the county.

We're working on kicking out the county's worst elected councillors next May. Assuming Mrs May doesn't call a snap General Election, diverting our resource to kicking out our Brexitophiliac MPs.

Watch this space...

i_am_kane Jan 22nd, 2017 04:46 PM

Just curous, yestravel,

Have you decided on your three nights lodging in Oxford?

yestravel Jan 22nd, 2017 05:18 PM

Buttery primarily for location and price.

Saraho Jan 22nd, 2017 06:24 PM

bookmarking

i_am_kane Jan 27th, 2017 11:10 AM

Curious, good for you...I'm sure you're moving onto other parts of your trip planning.

PalenQ Jan 27th, 2017 11:48 AM

Wow -think of prices before the Pound fell - from $1.70 to about $1.20 - seem shockingly high still.