Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed in Germany(& we aren't even there yet!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Joyce

This site has been so helpful but in our case maybe too much information is falling on dense heads! We will be traveling to Germany & Austria in September. We are picking up a car in Munich on the 5th and will be flying out of Munich on the 21st. We have tickets to the Spanish riding school in Vienna on Sept 9. Other than that we are open(That is probably the problem) Since we don't know the countries-have so many suggestions that sound great-don't know where we'll be each night (even though we are trying to get a handle on this). My one question (for now) is: if we don't know where we are going each day--what would be the best way to arrange overnight accomodations? Keywords: Two people/30yr anniversay/1st time in Europe. Thanks for your patience in reading this long post.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Paul

There are so many homes in Austria and Germany where you can stay on a 'Bed & Breakfast' basis you really won't have a problem! <BR>Just look for the 'ZIMMER FREI' signs.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:17 AM
xxx

Yoo-hoo! Wes, where are you? Joyce, if Wes doesn't respond to this post, put his name in the search box and see what turns up. He's posted several great Bavarian itineraries. You could also put the word "Bavaria" into the search box. It may take awhile to load in, but there're some good posts out there. <BR> <BR>Have a great time and post a trip report when you return. It's a beautiful area and very easy to travel in.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:34 AM
A.M.

Start with what you know, you'll be Munich on the 5th for 2 nites at least, I hope and on the 20th and you will be in Vienna on the 9th, probably for 2 nites, maybe 3. Go to AAA and get a German and Austrian hotel guide book, read about the hotels they suggest and then compare the comments with this website or other guide books. Pick 3 and then ask on this message board if anyone has stayed there. Then choose your next city or place and so on. Then figure what you want to do in each place - there is lots to see and do. I suggest you reserve at least some hotels (I would reserve all) for peace of mind. That's how I planned my trip in April (didn't go to Germany or Austria, but was there 10 years ago) Hope this is a helpful start. <BR>A.M.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:35 AM
wes fowler

Bear with me Joyce, I'll be with you in a day or two with some ideas.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Lee

Joyce, Don't despair. <BR> <BR>The suggestion of enlisting aid from Wes Fowler is good advice. <BR> <BR>I would set out, upon arrival, to Austria, along autobahn A8, staying first in Salzburg for one night and then head toward Vienna since you have to be there on the 9th anyway. You can stop and stay anywhere you like in between. When you leave Vienna, you could then head over toward Innsbruck and maybe spend a night there. Just across the border between Austria and Germany is Garmisch. You could take in the town, the Zugspitze (tallest peak in Germany) and take the cable car to the top. Nearby is King Ludwig's Linderhof Castle, which is beautiful and be sure to stop at Ettal to see the basilica there. I'd suggest staying at the Hotel Alte Post in Oberammergau, where we stayed in '99. This area is absolutely fantastic. Also close by is the Weiskirche near Steingaden and if you continue a bit farther, King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle in Schwangau. You can take the "Romantic Road" back to Munich and spend a couple of days exploring that great city before you leave. <BR> <BR>I'd pick up either Rick Steve's "Germany through the Back Door" or "Europe Through the Back Door", which contains great info on what to do, where to stay and how to go about it all. Don't forget to purchase your driving vignette (pass) at any service station in Germany prior to crossing the Austrian border. It will cost DM 10 to 20 depending on how long you plan to be in Austria. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Christi

You are in for quite a treat!! <BR> <BR>We moved overseas to the Middle East in early 1993. Our first European trip was to Germany in August of that year. We drove around the country for 10 wonderful days, staying at small hotels and B&B's. The government has a great voucher program where you can purchase vouchers for your accommodations, and simply call ahead from your present location to book the next hotel. We like to travel by our own time schedule and find that we often spend more or less time in certain places than orginally planned. Does that make sense? Anyway, email me for more on our trip and highlights! You will love Germany and Austria. <BR> <BR>P.S. Try to stay in the historic distric in Innsbruck. Salzburg is very beautuful, as is Vienna!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:13 AM
wes fowler

Joyce, <BR>Most travelers, when they first think of things to see in Germany, home in on Bavaria and Ludwig’s castles, Oberammergau, Wieskirche and the German Alpine range, assuredly an excellent introduction to the delights of Europe as Lee, above, suggests. However, your query poses an interesting challenge. You mention that this is your first European trip and that you’ll be coincidentally celebrating your 30th anniversary. Both circumstances warrant something special! How about this idea? Since you’ll be in Vienna returning to Munich, consider the “Strasse der Kaiser und Konige”, the route of Emperors and Kings, a route that dates back to the days of Charlemagne in the 9th century. A 30th anniversary warrants something special and the route of Emperors and Kings is just that. <BR> <BR>In its entirety, it runs along the banks of the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers from Frankfurt to Nurnberg and on to Regensburg, Passau, Linz and Vienna. By traveling it from Vienna to Regensburg and on to Munich, you’ll be exposed to castles, (some as imposing as Spain’s Escorial), fortresses (including the ruins of the one in which Richard III was imprisoned during the Crusades), magnificent Baroque churches and monasteries (some of which brew monastic beer) and the scenery that the river Danube provides. I’ve received your Email; let me dig through some voluminous journals and notes and I’ll contact you directly. Probably take a day or two to come up with all the sights and sites to see and some suggestions for accommodations. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Russ

Accommodations: it is true that these are plentiful, but without an itinerary of some sort, you will have a lot of decisions to make while underway, and while this sounds liberating, it can also be time-consuming and stressful. I would have a careful look at your map and see how your destinations break up geographically. Identify your "destination clusters" - you may have three or four - and see if you can pick a centerally located town within each cluster. Then, stay in one place/cluster for 3 or 4 days and do daytrips from there before moving on to your next cluster. This will save you packing/unpacking time as well as time reserving 16 different accommodations. Better to spend your time there seeing and doing than negotiating where to stay.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Linda

Checking out Munich for a day or so and then a day in Salzburg sounds good. Travel then to Vienna (can easily spend 3-4 days with a couple of day trips to the Vienna Woods & --I would take the train as only 1 hour and different country-- to Bratislava, Slovakia. From Vienna think about Prague, Czech Republic. After Prague, head north for a couple of hours to Dresden, Germany for a half-day and then two hours further north to Berlin--great city for several days with day trips to Potsdam, etc. Then head back to Munich and Bavaria for the rest of the time. <BR>You could return from Vienna and spend your time along the Rhine, in Bavaria and the romantic and fairy tale roads.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Joyce

As of right now, I have 9 responses and 9 new best friends! Thank you all so much for your wonderful input. I am as anxious to hear from more of you great folks as I am excited about the trip! THANKS