Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Overstaying by a week ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overstaying-by-a-week-1001863/)

rodrigo6788 Jan 5th, 2014 11:23 AM

Overstaying by a week ?

Hi my post study work visa expires on the 25 th of march but I get paid on the 30 th 31 st of every month. So if I collect my wages n leave in the 1st week of April will that be fine as I heard you're maximum allowed to leave voluntarily 28 days from the expiry date.

nytraveler Jan 5th, 2014 11:29 AM

My understanding is that you supposed to leave by the date on your visa. I would NOT stay longer unless you get official notification that you will not be penalized (you could face a fine and being banned from returning for a number of years.

Do you want to risk that?

And I would try to determine where the person who gave you this info got it - sounds like an urban legend to me.

rodrigo6788 Jan 5th, 2014 11:43 AM

Thanks for the update but the last date to apply for the Psw work visa was the 6 th of April 2013 I applied in person 2 weeks ago paid an extra 400 quid was my fault should have applied by post coz of the Olympicsthere was a delay in applications n everyone got leave granted until late July n August. Overstaying your visa is a criminal offence. If you overstay for more than 28 days you will not be allowed to apply for further leave to remain from within the UK. If you overstay by more than 90 days you will be barred from coming back to the UK for at least 12 months.
Www.ukcisa.org.uk

rodrigo6788 Jan 5th, 2014 11:45 AM

6 th of April 2012 sorry thanks nytraveler looking for more advice n suggestions.

Nonconformist Jan 5th, 2014 11:53 AM

Have you got some annual leave saved up? Keep it for the last week of your contract, so you can leave the country in time. (Technically you would still be employed beyond your visa's validity though, which might mean your employer could be fined if discovered.)

drlaz Jan 5th, 2014 12:01 PM

@Nonconformist: Not necessarily, if he actually stops working. His employer may not be set up to do partial month payroll, but he will be paid 25/31 his usual salary on the usual day.

ParisAmsterdam Jan 5th, 2014 12:23 PM

Can your employer not mail you a cheque or do a direct deposit? Have a friend or co-worker pick up the cheque and mail it to you? Better than breaking the immigration laws...

rodrigo6788 Jan 5th, 2014 12:59 PM

Thanks for all the help. I thought the airlines don't check the visa when you go to your home country. I thought a couple of days would be fine as they would be thrilled in leaving the country.

StCirq Jan 5th, 2014 01:05 PM

Why on earth do you have to hang around to "collect wages?" Surely this is the issue to concentrate on, as it seems it's an easy fix, NOT how to get around a visa issue that could have some serious consequences!

What you thought about airlines checking visas and a couple of days would be fine is completely irrelevant. There's a reason there's a specific date stamped on your visa, and people have livelihoods that revolve around checking those dates.

rodrigo6788 Jan 6th, 2014 01:30 AM

Overstay Grace Period

Overstayers of any visa type escape banishment penalties if they leave the UK within 28 days after their visa expires. Unlike in the U.S. where even one day after the I-94 expiration date results in revocation of the visa and possible fines, there is a 28-day grace period for offenders.

jamikins Jan 6th, 2014 01:42 AM

So you have your answer...even if someone here said it was ok that doesn't mean they will see it as ok at immigration...