Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnite in Venice - Hotel Near Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
Judi

We are spending 2 days in Venice at the end of our cruise, with the overnight on the cruise ship. We are not flying out of Venice until the morning after disembarking, and thought it might be more convenient to stay at an airport hotel. I understand it is not hard to get back and forth. Is there an airport hotel anyone can recommend?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:50 AM
janice

Dear Judi, <BR>The Venice airport is VERY VERY small - it's not worth trying to stay close to there - even if you find a hotel, it would be a wasted evening in an area where there is nothing to see or do. Just plan to stay in the main part of Venice and take a real early taxi - unless there's high water, it's not big deal.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:59 PM
Judi

Thanks - I think I'll do that. How much time should I allow to get to the airport, assuming I should be there by 10:00am for an 11:40am flight?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:06 PM
nancy

Dear Judi, I JUST returned from Venice. I stayed in the Hotel Bisanzio for two weeks with my Granddaughter. It is a "best Western" in an old "palace or Villa. It is two blocks from St. Mark's Square. The staff is fantastic! They speak perfect English.They can arrange a "water taxi" for you on the morning of your departure. Often the flights leave quite early. They will give you a "wake up call" and help you to the nearby canal to meet the taxi. The taxi costs about 75.00usd. They are very efficient and the ride is about a half an hour.If your plane leaves later in the day ...you can catch a "vaporetto'&lt;like a water bus"&gt; from the nearby Grand Canal. The water taxi is much more costly......but sometimes it is worth it. <BR> Are you doing a Rennaissance cruise? I did one with my husband years ago. We loved it.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Maurice

If you are staying in the city and are in a hurry, try not to be last in line. Unlike a bus, they can't overload the boat! Someone warned us about this; wasn't a problem, we go on just fine at 7:00am, and the palne left 1:00PM 3 hrs late anyway... <BR>Enjoy.