Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Overnight Venice to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overnight-venice-to-paris-694938/)

mwiars Apr 8th, 2007 06:59 AM

Overnight Venice to Paris

Sorry, I'm totally confused sleeping arrangements on the overnight train from Venice to Paris.

1. We are looking to travel 1st class. It is my wife and I. And 3 teenagers (1 boy and 2 girls).

2. I finally figured out that the sleeper trains use T3, T4 and T6 coaches. But I've been able to book 1st and 2 class in a T3 in the same coach in the same car number. How is that possible?

3. I'm also confused in pricing. A double sleeper ticket is 270E total for 2 of us. A single sleeper ticket is 540E each. It's against common sense but that means they are either receiving 270E for a compartment or 540E for the same compartment. Obviously, I'm missing something because that is not common sense.

Any advice and insight would be most helpful.

Thanks.

NeoPatrick Apr 8th, 2007 07:28 AM

Did you click on your name (next to where it says "welcome" above and look at the 15 responses to your same question yesterday? While much of that thread started discussing the merits of flying over training, much of your question has been answered, and you could get further information be questioning specific responses there.

ira Apr 8th, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi mw,

Have you considered flying www.myair.com from Venice VCE to Paris ORY?

Since you are planning to go 1cl, I won't mention the "Smart Price" tickets at Trenitalia.

At www.trenitalia.com

3 tickets in a 2cl T3 are 480E.
2 tickets in a 1cl dbl are 350E.

I don't think that they offer a 1cl T3, at least not online.

((I))

mwiars Apr 8th, 2007 07:44 AM

Yes, I looked but my search did not even show I posted a message let alone any replies.

suze Apr 8th, 2007 08:32 AM

Rather than 'search' simply click on the blue underlined 'mwiars' after 'Author:' It will bring up just the threads you started or posted on.

mwiars Apr 8th, 2007 12:39 PM

Thanks. I'm usually pretty computer savvy.

Must be getting older (a gray moment) but I'm still confused about pricing with overnight trains.

What's the difference between 2nd class T3 Global Sleeper and 1st class Double Sleeper? If I make a reservation, I get the same coach car number and similar reserved place numbers?

And then, what is the difference between 1st class Single Sleeper (540E) and 1st class Double Sleeper (270E total)? The price is double for the Single Sleeper although I can reserve the same coach and cabin numbers.

Thanks for helping me with the search.

Since I screwed up - I'll ask this also on the other thread.

Thanks again!

suze Apr 8th, 2007 12:46 PM

Hmm... Isn't the T-3 a couchette (3 bunks in a shared cabin). And the 1st class double a private cabin for two?

GeoffHamer Apr 8th, 2007 01:12 PM

Sleepers are neither first nor second class. T3 compartments can be configured to have one, two or three berths. The fare depends on the number of berths used. A "first class double" is simply a T3 compartment with one berth folded away.
T4 and T6 compartments are couchettes, with no wash basins or space to hang clothes.

ira Apr 8th, 2007 02:41 PM

t