Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Overnight trip from Paris - Brugge or Honfleur? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overnight-trip-from-paris-brugge-or-honfleur-318520/)

LEM Mar 7th, 2008 08:57 AM

Overnight trip from Paris - Brugge or Honfleur?

My husband and I are leaving our kids with grandparents and going to Paris for 7 nights the first week of May. We have both been to Paris before (although its been many years). We would like to do one overnight trip, we were considering either Brugge or Honfleur along with a visit to Rouen. Any opinions or suggestions? Has anyone been to both places, which did you prefer? We probably won’t rent a car and we are not on a budget in respect to train fares. We enjoy walking and exploring characteristic towns/cities (I especially am drawn to medieval cities/towns) and we like to experience restaurants serving good local cuisine. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

MsAmy Mar 7th, 2008 09:57 AM

We went to Brugge for a weekend from London in April 2004. Absolutely loved it. Everything was beautiful and charming. The food was incredible, as was the beer. Don't know about your other choice as I've never been there, but I don't think you'd be sorry with Brugge. We took the Eurostar to Brussels and then a local train. No car. Easy walking to everything from the train station.

JudyC Mar 7th, 2008 10:48 AM

I have visited and stayed at Honfleur, Rouen and Brugge (several times), all are great places to viist, excellent cuisine, easy to travel by public transport(except Honfleur, but just a short taxi ride from Le havre, as bus not the most convenient).

For medieval cities, Brugge is one of the best preserved; Rouen has very interesting old town centre, but a bit mixed, as it is still a working city, Honfleur's old town section is much smaller, but the sceneries and light of seaside port is very appealing also. It really depends on what you most interested , but none of them will go wrong.

gladtotravel Mar 7th, 2008 11:23 AM

Brugges, definitely, hands down, although Honfleur is very nice.

Incredibly well preserved.

Might want to see the very small movie IN BRUGGES. Gives you a realistic look at architecture if not events.

Grandma Mar 8th, 2008 01:56 PM

We were recently on a river cruise that visited both Rouen and Honfleur and enjoyed both. However, in the past we visted Brugge.... and that would be my choice.

Gretchen Mar 8th, 2008 02:33 PM

STay in Paris and enjoy it.

Kappy Mar 8th, 2008 04:06 PM

Hi LEM,
I would stay in Paris atleast 4 days. There is alot to see and the Metro is great. Honfleur is a great place on the water famous for mussels but I reccomend that you rent a car. I took a train but could have spent more time if I had a car. The train does not run that often out of Paris.
Brugge is also very charming but in the opposite direction and you only have 7 nights. Don't get me wrong another great place but you do not have that much time. I have not been to Rouen but that probably could be seen after or before Honfleur if you rent a car. I have heard it is nice too. Have a great trip. If you have time take a trip to Brittany on another day trip to Mont St. Michel. and Saint Malo.