Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight train trip - should we book the sleeping car or are the reclining chairs good enough?

Search

Overnight train trip - should we book the sleeping car or are the reclining chairs good enough?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although we are not traveling in Europe, I thought that some of you may have made a similar trip between destinations via train...

My husband and I will be taking a train overnight from Cairo to Luxor and we are trying to decide if we should upgrade to the sleeping car that has 2 beds. Currently we are booked for the reclining chairs. Are they comfortable? Could we get a decent nights sleep? We had opted against the sleeping car because we were not interested in the meal they provided and didn't think the extra $120 was worth it. Please give you opinion and let us know if we should get the sleeping car after all...as the beds alone may be worth the $120.
Thanks tons.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM

I haven't done it.. but as a comparison, would you get a good night's sleep if you remained in your automobile with the seat reclined?

Also, I believe night trains still make stops along the route, and you may have passengers or conductors using the aisles while you're trying to snooze. And who is keeping an eye on your belongings?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM

http://www.seat61.com/Europe.htmvernight

http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

I've done the sleeper and it's very nice. I'd definitely pay up. Touring Egypt is tiring enough - not getting a flat bed to sleep will diminish the experience for the rest of your trip, in my opinion.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM

I've taken the overnight train from Cairo to Luxor, and I suppose it's like anywhere. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. If you think $60 is worth staying up all night in a reclining chair rather than having a bed to sleep in -- well, that's your choice. It wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:05 AM
ira

Hi J,

Trying to sleep in a reclining seat in a train is a bit worse than trying to sleep in coach on a plane.

Old May 4th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Book the sleeper! Don't even think twice. Having a good night's sleep is invaluable - especially in a strange environment.
Have a great trip.
Carol
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Once I was on a full-sleeper train Prague-Budapest and had to sleep in the seat. It was not pleasant. I was ok, but some of the girls I was with were very cranky the next day which sort of diminished the trip. I also spent a night sleeping on a bus which was also less than desirable. Spent the entire next day zombie-like, worse than jet lag.

A huge advantage to a sleeper (especially a 2 person) is limited contact with other passengers who might interrupt your sleep or whatever else you want to do. My opinion is it is worth $60 a person to enjoy the rest of your trip, but only you can make that call.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Hi there: We just got back from Bosnia and Croatia and ended up taking an overnight train trip from Zagreb to Split. We had a sleeping compartment and it was sure worth it! I slept the whole way and arrived in Split in great shape. For me - I appreciated the privacy and security of the compartment and probably would do it again with no hestitation. Then again I'm 50+ and have grown to look for comfort!

Happy trails,

Dale
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Get the sleeper! Sleeping in a seat sucks! Think of it as an investment in your energy level for the two days you would have to spend recovering from the loss of sleep. Also if you've never been to the Middle East before you'll need all your senses to help you absorb everything you see!
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM

I did Cairo to Luxor overnight sitting up in the middle of August with 5 other people in the compartment (all Egyptians except my sister) but I was 19 years old.

I wouldn't do it again, but my sister got a proposal of marriage.

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I am completely convinced! We will book the sleeping car. Based on all the very valuable comments you fodorites provided, I am now regarding the extra cost as a bargin for the extra sleep it will provide. Thanks tons to all who commented.