Reload this Page >

Overnight Train from Paris to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:27 AM
Gary

Me and my girlfriend will be traveling from Paris to Barcelona in September and would like to take an overnight train. I already have a railpass. Is it necessary to book the overnight accommodations before I leave for Europe or can I wait until I get to Paris? (I will be in Paris four days prior leaving for Barcelona.) Also, has anyone taken the overnight train from Paris to Barcelona? Any advice is appreciated.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Jean Valjean

I would think that you may wait until you get to Paris to make the reservation, but it wouldn't hurt to make it now if you can. September is not really high season, so you shouldn't have any problems in getting one. <BR> <BR>I didn't take the overnight train, I took a day train (very bad idea). If I remember correctly, you should be arriving in Barcelona by 8am or so at Sants. Having taken other overnight trains in Europe, accomodations are usually quite agreeable, with good and unobtrusive service. <BR> <BR>Food sucks, though. I guess that it may be better to stock on consumables before getting on the train. Then again, going to the dining room breaks the monotony.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:49 AM
sue

My husband and I took that train in May. I made the reservations a month before we left. Why not do it early just in case, especially if you know the date you want to go? I will fly next time, but I guess you have to experience it once. The rooms are small, and it is difficult to sleep unless you're a very heavy sleeper. WC is down the hall, but the room has some sort of pot to pee in during the middle of the night. Um, no thanks. The compartment has a sink with running water, and they supply small bottles of water as well as little toothbrushes and washclothes. They include a small breakfast. I suggest bringing a bottle of wine, and more water. And sleeping pills don't hurt.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Evan

I had taken the overnight train from Paris to Barcelona in June two years ago. The only criticisms I have is the ticket is pricey- which won't affect you because you have a pass. The other concern is the journey is kind of long. It leaves around 5.30 pm and makes it into Sants Station, Barcelona around 8.30 am. I have been on some overnight trains from heck in France. Fortunately, this is usually a Spainsh train called Talgo which is much nicer. There is a cafe car where you are bound to meet many friendly Americans, Britsh, and Europeans who speak English. This can keep things entertaining. The 2nd class sleeping cars are ok, not great. At least they are only two levels high. If you want to splurge a little- see if you can use the railpass to subsidize a private room for two. This would be the best for your situation. If you will go standard second class my suggestion is as follows: When you arrive in your first large European city, you can often make a train reservation, even from a completelly different country. Even if you don't do it right away, if you go to the station at latest when you first arrive in Paris if by train, just go straight to the queue in the station and reserve it then- this should give you a good enough saftey margin. Yes a reservation is mandatory for this journey though- so plan just a little and you should have a great trip. You can email me if you have more questions.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Ben Haines

The train leaves Paris Austerlitz 2032 and reaches Barcelona Sants at 0824. With a packed supper and wine in the evening and the official light breakfast in the morning it's not an over-long night. Indeed, you may have to be pretty plain with the conductor that you don't want t see your breakfast till seven thirty - they ten to wake one needlessly early. I make these and other points in my note on getting the best out f sleeper travel in Europe, on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm, designed to lessen the number of overnight train rides from heck. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:38 AM
clairobscur

The french railways recommanded me to book in advance for this night train, up to one month before for the busiest days (like friday nights). Don't know if it's really necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:25 PM
bryan

grab a seat at the bar/cafeteria as soon as the train starts, because it will fill up quickly. <BR>you will have to pay a supplement for the sleeper car in addition to your railpass. if at all possible, pay for a private car. don't wait too long to book. sitting in a chair for the 9 hour train ride is not fun...i did an overnight from paris to barcelona (stopped in toulouse) it was only 1/2 full. i also did madrid to paris and it was packed so it's hit or miss for reservations...