Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Overnight train from Milan to Vienna
Notices

Overnight train from Milan to Vienna

Sep 13th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Overnight train from Milan to Vienna

We have booked the 6 people sleeping area on an overnight train from Milan to Vienna. We have never done the overnight train thing in Europe. What would people recommend for sleeping? I don't imagine anything bedding wise will be provided.
Thanks
Sep 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM

I've taken overnight trains in the recent past from Milan to Paris and from Perpignan to Milan, with two different train companies. On both all bedding was provided. When I first took overnight trains, there was no bedding, and we used "sleep sacks", which I made by folding sheets in half and sewing across the bottom and up part of the side.

As a matter of fact, I still have one I made in 1986, hand-sewn. It's been used on and off since then on camping trips, for overnight guests who've slept on my sofa in the past, and now as a sleep sack on a sort of narrow murphy bed we have. It's going on 30 years of useful life, and it also put in some time as a regular sheet before that!
Sep 14th, 2015, 02:57 AM

Bedding is provided, even in couchettes.

Choose between 6 or 4 berth couchettes or a 1 or 2 bed sleeper.

Book at either www.oebb.at or www.trenitalia.com with cheap prices from €49 with couchette or from €89 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper if you pre-book well in advance.

I've some info and advice on sleepers & couchettes at www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm

These are smart Austrian couchettes and sleepers, for train formation (click camera logo form photos of each car inside and out) see http://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.p...azev=&rok=2015
Sep 17th, 2015, 12:26 PM

for lots of good info on European trains check out not only Man in Seat 61's excellent commercial site (he gives the web address above) and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

and yes bedding is provided even in couchettes and you could book up all 6 berths in a couchette or for lots more comfort book three doubles or two triples in the sleeping car. The latter is infinitely nicer with three tiered bunked beds in the space of two tiers of three bunks in the same-size compartment plus you may get a wash bowl (not a WC) in the sleeping car berths.

That said light sleepers may want to eschew overnight trains as there is always a modicum of noise from inside and outside the train. I've taken zillions of night trains and rarely had anhy problems but others say they can never sleep on overnight trains.

Search this Thread